- Text Size +
Chapter Two

Kevin stood with Nick in the hospital room.

"Well at least you don't have to worry about room mates little man." Kevin told Nick squeezing his shoulder.

Nick sighed placing his bag down.

"Hope I don't die of boredom."

"Nick you know that we are going to be with you at all times. One of us will always be there for you."

"I'm sorry Kevin. I'm not trying to be an ass."

Kevin shook his head.

"I don't blame you for acting how you are, this is scary and hard. You have every right to be angry."

"Why do you think this happened?" Nick asked holding his pillow.

Kevin stood silently for a few moments. He took a deep breath and met Nicks eyes.

"I don't know Nicky."

Nick bit his lip. Kevin always had answers for everything.

"What are the phantom pains that the doctors keep talking about?"

"You are gonna feel pain as if your arm is still there but it isn't. It's I guess just your body's way of remembering."

"Yet another thing to suck." Nick said.

"Hey why don't you order yourself up some dinner because after 8 you are not allowed to eat anymore until after the surgery."

Nick made a face.

"Hospital food?"

Kevin shrugged apologetically.

"Think again!" A voice said from the door.

Nick and Kevin turned seeing Howie, Brian and AJ holding bags from McDonalds.

"Big Mac anyone?" AJ asked.

Nick smiled gratefully at his friend but the smile didn't reach his eyes.

"What's wrong?" Howie asked him.

"Where is Lil J?"

"She had some things to take care of but she promised to be here before visiting hours are over." Brian answered taking a seat.

"Is she doing ok?" Nick asked getting worried that AJ had finally taken his advise and had split.

"She is fine she is just packing up some things. She wants to be moved into your apartment as soon as she can so that way when you get home, she will only focus on helping you."

Nick felt heat flow through him. He knew that both he and Lil J were young but they were deeply in love and he couldn't imagine his life without her.

"Aw Nicky, you are blushing!" Big AJ teased him.

Kevin smacked the back of AJ's head.

"Leave Carter alone."

AJ rubbed his head sulking.

"I was just kidding!"

Nick took a bite from his burger and chewed slowly. He realized that he ate the burger with both his hands holding it. Suddenly he felt over whelmed. How would he eat, tie his shoes, get dressed, he was going to be helpless and hopeless.

"What's wrong little man?" Kevin asked seeing Nick's distressed look.

"Kevin I am going to be like a new born! I won't know how to do anything!"

"The doctors and your therapist will be here to help you every step of the way Nick. You have Lil J and the rest of us to help you as well."

Nick sat gritting his teeth trying to hold back the tears of frustration. He angrily swiped his cheeks as his body betrayed him and the tears began to fall.

Brian reached over soothing Nicks head.

"It's going to be ok Nick, you are not alone, you will never be alone, if I have to move in with you and Lil J to help you I will." He drawled in a similar tone to his cousin.

"Oh nice a three some!" AJ said punching Nicks knee softly.

"Why me God, what did I do to deserve these morons?" Kevin asked looking up at the ceiling.

"Brian is the one who is best friends with Jesus not you Kev." Howie said which made Nick giggle a bit.

"Shut up Howie." Kevin said throwing a french fry at him which led to a 20 minute french fry food fight.

"Excuse me!" Lil J shouted as she walked in and a fry stuck to her hair. She stood stern her hands on her hips.

"Great, the one person bossier than Kevin is here now." Brian said mock annoyed voice rolling his eyes.

"Nick needs to get in bed, he needs to be well rested for tomorrow." She said walking in.

Nick reached up and picked the fry out of her hair for her and smiled. Brian smiled seeing the little action, he was happy his friend had someone who cared so much about him. Nick and Lil J sat together talking for a while until the guys headed out promising that they would be back first thing in the morning, before Nick had to be taken.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched AJ turn down my bed. She was so loving I had no idea how I could have gotten so lucky and been able to snatch her up as my girlfriend.

I loved to wrap my fingers in her black silky hair. She has the softest hair out of anyone I knew. Her grey eyes were friendly and playful most of the time but turned an icy cold glare when she was angry.

I allowed myself a smile as she fluffed my pillow. I loved how she acted like a wife in some ways. And for once it did not scare me.

AJ was different from the girls I dated before. She was a lot more serious. She loved to stay home and read or watch a movie sometimes. While past girlfriends of mine loved the night life in clubs, AJ was happier at home cooking for me and curling up for a nice chat.

I met AJ when I was 19. I had been sent to community service after I had gotten arrested for DUI. I could not believe it when I found out that she volunteered her time because she liked to. I called her a goody and constantly made fun of her. I didn't know that her old man was in prison for drunken driving and hitting another car killing four teens. I didn't know that AJ felt guilty for her father and so she worked her butt of helping the youth.

I don't honestly know when my annoyance for AJ turned into love. I think it was when we took the kids from our group on a field trip to the beach. There was a ton of very beautiful girls there all in skimpy bikinis. AJ was slightly out of place in her one piece but it didn't seem to bother her. She sat reading as the chaperones got the kids lunch. A little boy who wasn't from our group was crying. No one but AJ looked up. He it turns out had been lost and it was AJ who helped him. I realized at that moment that I loved her. She was kind to everybody. I realized that she would be the perfect wife not the blond bimbos with fake breasts that I tended to find myself dating.

It was hard to get AJ to trust me but I finally wore her down and we had our first date, the rest is history and we have been together since.

I caught her eye as she looked up and smiled.

"Come here princess." I called to her holding my arms open for her.

As she carefully sank into my arms I pulled her as close as I could. My cheek rested against the top of her head and I quickly scanned her body for bruising. Her moms new boyfriend tended to beat her if she didn't have dinner ready for them.

"You need to get to bed soon." Her soft voice broke through my thoughts.

"I don't want to go to sleep, the morning will come faster that way." I admitted.

She shifted so she could look up at me.

"Want me to read to you until you fall asleep?"

I nodded and crawled into bed. She laid beside me and reached into her purse. I winced playfully seeing what she brought out.

"Are you kidding me?"

She grinned and kissed my eyelids.

"Shut your eyes my Edward."

I laughed softly settling in and listened as she read to me about Bella moving to Forks. Bella was just about to see the Cullen's as I finally fell out.