- Text Size +
Chapter 12
Alex stopped in the middle of this tracks, his heart pounding, his arm stinging as well from the slap Howie just gave him. No, there just couldn’t be. Kris was a common enough name. Anyone could have it. It’s not like it was his best friend that Theresa was talking about.

“Kris? I never heard you mention her?”

“That’s because I don’t. We haven’t seen each other in years, since she’s lived on the other side of the US. But, she’s more than happy to come out and meet her favorite group. I told her though, that Alex was off the market. Or was going to be. I do believe Howie was her second choice. Of course,” she paused, turning to look at Howie, “looking like a leopard, Mr. Dorough, is not going to win you charm points.”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Theresa held up her hands defensively.

“Lack of sleep makes him a grouch too.” He rose his eyebrow at her than at AJ.

“Control your woman.” With that, he shoved past them and headed towards the luggage claim.

“You know, for someone who just got laid, Howie sure is Mr. Asshole.” Alex wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her close and kissing her temple.

“Don’t worry about D. It wasn’t the best trip for him.”

“He seemed to be enjoying it.” Alex shrugged, kissing her again and letting the subject drop.

-----
Two weeks later, Theresa and AJ were back at the airport, waiting for Kris to arrive. And in those two weeks, not one thing was mentioned about AJ cheating, either from D or from AJ. Although, D constantly gave AJ nasty, ugly ass looks but every time Resa commented on it, D just waved it off and AJ would easily shut up. Granted, this left her frustrated and upset, but there wasn’t much she could do. She only hoped they got their act together before they hit that stage or otherwise the fans would be paying for it.

“Why won’t you let me see her? You know I hate being around people I don’t know.

“Honey, Kris is just a whiter version of me. And you love me, right?” She glanced at Alex, beaming at him as she saw the plane land. “You know you’re excited. And she’s a fan, finds you to be sexy actually. Can’t say I disagree.”

AJ shook his head, wrapping his arms around her waist. He woke up this morning feeling like today was just going to be a hellish day and yet, nothing seemed horrible. He had an enjoyable breakfast, talked to his mom and was now waiting at the airport for a woman he was positive wasn’t the same one he knew. He kissed Resa’s cheek, smiling at her, laughing at her giddiness. As the plane was taxing in, he felt his felt his phone vibrate, frowning as he saw that it was management.

“Baby, I gotta take this. I’ll be right back.” Resa nodded her head, hopping from one foot to the other, waiting for the doors to open. AJ once more shook his head as he headed off to take the phone call.

Theresa quickly saw Kris and ran over to her, engulfing her in a bear hug.

“Oh my gosh, Kris, it’s been forever!”

“I know. Oh, Resa, I missed you!”

“I missed you more!”

“Whatever. So, where’s sexy?” Resa blushed, linking her arms through Kris’s and leading her slowly to the luggage claim area.

“Got a phone call that he had to take. He gets them all the time. And don’t worry, we brought the Denali; I hate his sports car. He drives way too quickly for my liking.” Kris shook her had at that. She never recalled that Nick had those two types of cars. In fact, the only one who did was AJ and Alex would have told her if he was engaged. At least, she hoped he would have.

“Resa, am I really going on tour?”

“Like duh Kris. You’re my best friend and I need someone normal to keep me company. After all, I can only take so much goofiness before I go insane.”

“But your man is goofy.”

“Hmm, he has his moments. But, in all truth, he’s not that bad. Not like you would think. Now,” Theresa stood on her toes, looking around, “where is he? The call couldn’t have taken that long.”

“Maybe he didn’t know we were here?”

“Nah, he took the call right before you stepped off the plane. He would know to come down here. And he’s hardly recognizable, so the fans wouldn’t be stopping him.” She scanned the stairs, her face breaking out into a grin. “I see him. Here he comes.” Kris tried looking for the blonde man, but seeing no one that even looked closely like Nick. Just a man who had the same swagger as AJ…but…no, he wouldn’t…it…it couldn’t be! The man came up to Theresa and kissed her softly.

“Sorry that took so long. You know Jack can be long winded at times.”

“Don’t even think about it sweetie. I want you to meet my best friend, Kris. Kris, the man I’m gonna marry, the one and only AJ.” AJ froze in his place as he stared at the woman before him, his heart hammering in his chest. Oh, yeah, today was going to be hell. His eyes trailed over her, noticing every tiny change; the slightly shorter hair, the dark tan, the leaner legs, his arms long to wrap around her and yet he couldn’t. Shit! Shit! SHIT!

-----
Kris stared at him, her heart breaking. How the hell could he not tell her? She gave him the night of her life and he couldn’t bother with this huge tid bit? That was beyond low. But, for all the anger she was feeling, she couldn’t stop the beating pulse, the sweaty hands or the way her body screamed to run into his arms. Nor could she ignore the look Resa was passing between her and Alex; not that Kris could blame Resa. Had this been her, she would have been curious by the intense stares and the prolong silence.

-----
Resa stuck her hip out, arms crossed as she watched these two people very intently. The whole reaction too, made it quite obvious that they knew each other, and that they were shocked beyond hell to be coming across each other. This meant one of two things, both being pretty ugly. Either their last meeting was horrible. Or there was more to the meeting than a hug and a 'hi'. And that, Resa didn’t want to dwell on.

-----
“I’m guessing you two know each other.” Theresa decided she better break the silence, or it would stretch forever and it was already raking over her nerves.

“Friends from a long time ago,” Kris answered. Resa eyed her friend very carefully before turning her eyes to AJ, nodding her head.

“A long time ago? Wasn’t aware your trip to Hawaii was quite that long ago.” Both AJ and Kris turned to Resa, confirming her ugly suspicion.