- Text Size +
Chapter 13

“We did bump into each other, Theresa. Had a couple talking moments, that’s it.” Resa raised an eyebrow at AJ. In all their years and time of being together, not once had he called her Theresa, EVER! Was it because of Kris that he didn’t want to use a pet name? Oh, boy, did she not like that.

“I believe you. Now, let’s get your bags, Kristal. I have a nice lunch planned for us with the rest of the guys.”

“Uh, D included?” Resa glanced over her shoulder at her friend and nodded.

“Of course. Is there a reason D shouldn’t be there?”

“No.” Both Kris and Alex said at the same time. Definitely not good!

-----
AJ mentally sighed. If he wasn’t careful, he was bound to get everyone in an accident for the majority of attention was split between the woman in the passenger seat who kept looking outside or the woman who sat behind him, who also kept looking outside. He knew he screwed up, there was no denying that. And there was no way to fix it. He had to admit, he wanted both woman and each for different reasons. He loved Resa, in his own way. He couldn’t just see tossing their relationship down the drain.

But he knew that he would never be able to live without Kris. He had tried, didn’t work too well. He was constantly texting her or emailing her. Sure, Resa asked, but he just told her that he was talking to D. Yes, he was heaping lie upon lie there and now she knew the truth. He knew Resa wasn’t stupid, he knew that she knew something more was going on. But she was also the type of woman not to make a scene in public or in front of guests. So right now, he just had to wait for a private time before they could talk. And that was if he wanted to talk to Resa first. Currently, he longed to talk to Kris, but he was more than certain she wouldn’t be giving him the time of day any time soon.

-----
She sighed, watching the California coast go by and really not caring. Her first hour here and her life had been turned upside down. The man she was in love with was engaged to her best friend. She knew that Theresa was gonna make her the maid of honor and Kris would have been honored. But she didn’t think that the maid of honor’s job entailed trying to steal the groom away. Oh, she knew that AJ wasn’t totally happy in this relationship, even if he did put a ring on her finger. He wouldn’t have cheated if that was the case. So, she wanted to believe there were some feelings there for her. What she didn’t want to believe, though, was the thought of not having him to herself. She loved Resa, the last thing she wanted to do was hurt her best friend. But, right now, her best friend had the one man she loved above all other and was more than willing to fight Resa for him.

-----
Resa’s mind was whirling, her thoughts jumbling all together to make no sense at all. She gave AJ her heart, and for the second time, her heart was torn apart from her so called best friend. She was more than tempted to ask what the hell happened in Hawaii but was afraid to find out the truth. Although, to save face, she knew they would lie again and say nothing. She wasn’t a fool and hated that they thought she was dumb enough to believe it. The tension was high and you could cut it with a plastic knife. AJ’s eyes kept straying between her and Kris, and Kris was quiet. Both traits that neither one had.

She sighed, her gaze still seeing nothing. She frowned and finally reached over to the turn the music up, not caring what was playing at the moment. She just needed other noises than everyone’s breathing. And maybe the loudness of the rock cd that AJ had in would cover up any sniffles she might have. She leaned her elbow on the arm rest and rested her head on her hand, catching AJ’s gaze out of the corner of her eye. She turned and looked at him.

“What?”

“Nothing.” She turned back around, feeling his gaze once more.

“What?”

“Nothing.” She slowly started to grin.

“Whatever McLean.” He returned her grin.

“How did you know Kris?” Theresa turned in her seat and smiled at Kris, giving everyone the benefit of the doubt here.

“Online. You see, we’re both fan fic writers and happened to cross paths one day.”

“I had a story that she really liked and yet I thought it sucked.” Resa rolled her eyes at her friend.

“And it end up winning a couple of awards actually! None the less, we started talking and never stopped. That was ages ago.”

“Damn does time fly.”

“Yes it does. So, how did you two become friends?” Resa asked AJ, tilting her head slightly.

“Kris used to live next door to us. Oh my gosh, she was this annoying brat that my mom used to baby-sit.”

“Shut up Alex! You were not the best either doll face either! Denise used to watch me four days a week, the other three, Alex was over at my house playing dolls!”

“Dolls?”

“Yup. Alex would…uh…accessorize them a lot. Came up with some awesome outfits!”

“AJ played with dolls?” Resa looked at him, not missing the fact that Kris had the luxury of calling him Alex. Theresa was his soon to be wife and still wasn’t told she could call him that.

“Yes, I did. I would make them look like the bomb. Kris, you know you were jealous that you didn’t have my talent.” He pulled up to the restaurant, noticing all the cars and helped out both ladies, his hand slipping into Resa’s and than wrapping his free arm around Kris’s neck. They entered the place and scanned the room, seeing the rest of the guys in the far corner and headed over. Howie finally glanced up, his eyes opening wide and his jaw dropping as he stared at Kris than at AJ.

“What the hell is she doing here?”