- Text Size +
Chapter 19
She walked through the front door and took the stairs two at time, hoping that her friend listened to her and followed her up. She glanced behind her and than entered one of the guest rooms.

“My dear Kris, this is your room. We actually leave in a week for the tour.” Kris smiled at Resa and entered the room, looking around and nodding.

“Who decorated it? Because they got great taste.”

“I did it actually. AJ only had one room totally done and I wasn’t happy so I fixed up all the rooms.”

“You need to work on your own business.” Resa shrugged, glanced downstairs and watched AJ disappear into the bottom part of the house and closed the door.

“Kris?” Kris glanced up at her, her brows snapping together.

“What is it Resa?”

“I’m not a fool. I’m not stupid. Something happened in Hawaii, more than two friends hanging out or even more than just a hug. I need you to tell me what it is.”

“Theresa…” Kris started and than plopped on the queen sized bed, patting the spot next to her. She had made it a point not to lie to her best friend, but anyone could see that Resa honestly cared for Alex. And if Alex was happy, the last thing Kris wanted to do was destroy that, or that’s what Kris kept repeating to herself. Than a moment later she was thinking of destroying it. She shook her head, mentally groaning. “I didn’t know Alex was seeing anyone, let alone engaged to anyone.” Theresa’s head fell down as she fell onto the bed. Kris rubbed her arm gently, took another deep breath, and for the first time in their history of friendship, lied to Resa.

“We kissed, Theresa. The night that he left. That was it.”

“That’s it? You didn’t go beyond that? Didn’t get into neck sucking or anything friskier?” Kris thought it over, recalled a few marks being left and blushed.

“Okay, maybe I went a little far, but he stopped me. Honestly, nothing happened. AJ loves you, he wouldn’t cheat on you.” Resa lifted a brow, somehow doubting her friends word. But, she never once lied, and Theresa knew that Kris wouldn’t do it to save her feelings. When she stole her first boyfriend, Kris was even open and honest and half the time, that hurt more than any lie.

“Thank you, for being honest.” Resa reached over and gave Kris a huge hug. “And with you here, you can start helping me with the wedding plans.” Kris hid the hurt that alone caused. This was supposed to be a fun trip and currently it had been a hell hole.

“You know I would love to Resa.”

“Great! I’m gonna let you get settled in. Howie, and maybe Nick, were talking about stopping by later. Don’t you think you and D would make a great couple? Anyways, get some rest too.”

“Okay, looking forward to it all.” Resa smiled again and than slipped out of the room, leaving Kris along with her over the hill thoughts. She fell back on the bed, throwing her arms over her eyes, groaning. She replayed back that night with Alex and tried to remember if it did mean something to him. Or was it really just a fling, a one nighter, a chance, a dare and than not even glance back.

But that really didn’t sound like the Alex that she knew. And no matter how much AJ shinned through, Alex, HER ALEX, was totally still in there. This she knew and trusted. That was the man that she had fallen in love with so long ago. That was the man who was her best friend.

So, she knew that night meant something. She also knew that she wouldn’t dare wanna break Resa’s heart again. But, hell, Kris had been alone for so long and the only man she was even happy with was the man her bestie was supposed to marry. She grabbed the pillow, pulled it over her head and screamed. She knew she had to play the happy role, not matter what the cost.


-----
She bounced down the stairs and headed down to the dance studio, watching from the doorway as he practiced his dance steps and getting frustrated as he kept messing it up. He paused, frowned, planted his hands on his hips and started mouthing to himself. She crossed her arms, smiling, feeling the tingles race up and down her spine as she looked at him. This was the man she loved.

She finally walked up behind him, doing the move he was having such a hard time with. He watched in the mirror, smirking.

“Show off huh?”

“Not at all.” She sat down on the floor and rested her back against the wall. He grabbed a bottle of water and sat down next to her, lifting his leg up and resting his arm on his knee.

“What’s up baby?” She traced the wood patters on the floor, not looking at him.

“You know why you keep messing up, right?”

“No, I don’t. It’s a tough move.”

“AJ, you have had way worse than that and you know it. But, you also know that when something is on your mind, you can’t do anything because of how consumed you are.” AJ’s eyes closed as he leaned his head back. “Wanna tell me what’s gong on in that mind?” AJ took a breath, thinking of his words very carefully. He had to tell her something, but the truth just wouldn’t work, because he couldn’t lose her. He opened his eyes and looked over at her, capturing her hand.

“Theresa, have you had the urge to make sure that us being together was right? Felt like you just needed to have the simplest test to make sure that the one you said you love was right?” She wrinkled her brows and chewed on her lips, slowly nodding.

“I guess. In fact, Shawn hit on me. I brushed him off because I knew my heart was yours. And it sucks to think you have to test your feelings, but I suppose I understand.” He could see the hurt in her eyes and his heart twisted. And than to think one of his best friends hit on his woman made his anger soar. He took her other hand made her face him.

“Resa, it was stupid. We kissed, nipped and nibbled on each other’s necks, but that’s all that happened. I love you. And honestly, the last thing I want to do is hurt you. You can ask Kris, you can ask D. Nothing beyond that happened!”

“I did. Both of them. And both said the same thing.”

“Than there you go. Theresa, I do want to marry you, I do love you. And I totally want a family with you. Just because I kissed Kris doesn’t mean I want her.” In all his life, he didn’t think he could utter a bigger lie than what he just did. His dreams were plagued by that one night and it took every ounce of strength not to cry out her name. And having her this close just was a disaster waiting to happen.
Theresa looked deep into his eyes, trying to figure out the truth so he buried what he could deep down, not allowing her to see it.

“I love you Alexander. You real are the man who makes me happy and without you, I’m not sure I would be happy.” And now the knife was twisting his gut.