- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just wanna say thank you for everyone who has read and reviewed! It really does mean a ton to me that you like the story! So...with out further stuff from me...read on! Hope you enjoy it still!
Chapter 21
She watched him, knowing something was on his mind. After all, he was hanging over her. His arm was constantly around her waist or he was holding her hand. Even went as far as to keep kissing her cheek and even kept whispering ‘I love you’ in her ear. And Resa could admit that she liked that, but thaws very much out of the normal for AJ. Yes, he was affectionate and did hold her hand, but to stay by her side like he did, no, that wasn’t the man she knew. And it really set her on edge. She tensed every time his arm slipped around her waist. Finally, she broke out of his hold, smiled at both him and Nick and made her way inside.

Oh, she wasn’t stupid. She had a gut feeling that the reason AJ was acting the way he was, was because of Kris. After all, through this evening, they really hadn’t talked and you could feel the anger between them, at least she could.

She sighed, resting her hands on the counter and letting out a breath. Who the hell was she kidding? She wasn’t dumb or blind. But she really wanted to believe her best friends, not to include the man that she was supposed to marry!

“Resa?” She glanced over her shoulder and looked at Howie.

“Yeah?”

“Uh, the grill is hot enough.”

“Oh, I’ll be right out there with the stuff. I just needed a moment.” She heard him pause before he walked over to her and rested his hand on her shoulder.

“Is there anything you wanna talk about?

“No, I’m okay.” He walked up beside her and gently turned her around to face him, his brown arching a little. “Really D. I just needed a moment.”

“Now, this wouldn’t have anything to do with the tension between Kris and J, would it?” Damn, sometimes one could forger how insightful D really was. Quiet he could be, but like Kevin, he had a tendency to see and notice what other just blew right past.

“I just…I have a lot on my mind D.” He crossed his arms and leaned his hip against the counter, preparing her for the talk, or lecture, that she was about to get.

“I can’t tell you how to live your life, you know that.”

“Than please don’t.” She turned from him and reached into the fridge, grabbing the chicken.

“Resa, what is your gut telling you?” She sat the chicken down on the counter, schooling her features so they wouldn’t give her away and turned to look at him.

“My guy maybe saying something, but my heart is telling something else. I love AJ, though he can be annoying. But my heart belongs to only him. And Kris is my best friend! She swore to me that she would never take my man again. I believe them and trust them. Just like I believe and trust you. You said you saw them do nothing more than kiss. If I believe that something more happened, that means that you all have lied to me.” She glanced outside at Kris and AJ and than back to him, missing the pain that crossed his face.

“And we wouldn’t do that.”

“And I know that. This is why I can say that I trust you.” She picked up the chicken once more than leaned over and softly kissed Howie’s cheek. “You know that you are one of my best friends D. I will always trust you.” With that, she walked out, leaving D alone with his thoughts. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, thinking over everything and not liking it, but what right did he have? AJ was the one who got himself in this mess and Howie would be damned if he hurt anyone. Although, knowing AJ, he’d take anyone and everyone down with him that he could.

He slowly turned around and watched, yet again, as AJ slipped his arms around Resa’s waist. He knew that Resa was gonna get played, hell, he knew that was gonna get played as well; in fact, she did. He knew that AJ would never tell Resa the truth, no matter what D told him. He closed his eyes, letting out a slow breath, only opening them as he felt someone else enter the room. He smiled at her, watching her walk in and head to the fridge.

“Kris?” She paused as she turned back around, twisting the cap off the wine cooler.

“Yeah D?”

“I’m not sure if it’s really worth anything, but I’m sorry, for everything; for the pain and the hurt. It really is something you shouldn’t have to deal with.” Kris just looked at D, a smile tugging slightly at her lips. Both of them knew that he didn’t need to explain anymore than he did. And both knew that it shouldn’t be him who was apologizing.

“D, you really are a sweetheart and it sucks that a lot of people don’t see that. And thank you. Most friends of his would probably pat him on the back and say ‘good going’.”

“Yeah, that’s true. In fact, I think Nick did. And for most men, it might a big deal, but I worry more about how the women feel. Mayhap that’s why I never cheated like he did.”

“When you find the right one, you’re gonna make her very happy. She won’t have to worry about you cheating on her.” She leaned over and softly kissed his cheek. “Thank you again.” He watched as she started to walk out the door.

“Hey, Kris?”

“Yeah Howie?” She glanced over her shoulder at him.

“I know I’m not the man you really want here, but would you mind if I asked you out on a date? Nothing fancy. Maybe just a dinner and a movie?” Kris could only smile, little butterflies actually making their way into her stomach.

“I’d like that a lot actually. I’d love to go out on a date.”

“Than I’ll call you later, to set a date.”

“Works for me.” She linked her arms through his and followed him outside. It wasn’t that wash she was using him, because she wasn’t, honestly. But she knew that she couldn’t, wouldn’t, wait forever for Alex to open his eyes and change his mind either. Wait, no that would be wrong of her to want that. Resa deserved the happiness that Alex could give her. But than again, if Alex wanted her, why didn’t Resa call him Alex? She knew that it was a question she kept repeating, a thin hope that maybe everything wasn’t as rosy as she thought. But, none the less, it was one she just couldn’t let go of. And in truth, it was a rather big question! She sighed, closing her eyes, yet smiling mentally. She would be with Howie, and had no problem with that, but if something happened to this wedding and the planning along the way….oh well!