- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, okay, I know it is coming slowly...but I was kinda stuck..and now..it's just flowing! And thank you to all the readers and reviewers! You have no idea how much i love it! You guys rock!
Chapter 24

“You look worried?” AJ stopped his pacing and turned to look at Brian, who was regarding him over the top of his magazine.

“Wouldn’t you be?” Brian shrugged, glanced around, seeing everyone outside in the pool and tossed the magazine back on the coffee table.

“Why not talk to me man?” AJ shook his head and turned around, his attention out the window, watching the last of the suns rays slip beyond the ocean, and Resa still wasn’t home yet. There wasn’t even any sign that she came home.

Both Denise and Kris realized that Resa left, and both figured that she just headed home, but when they got here, neither one had seen her, and than got worried. They quickly called both D and AJ, thinking maybe she was with one of them, and still no damn word. And for his fiancé, that was out of context. She always called and said she was out running around or buying something and would be home later. But no word. And she didn’t bother to pick up the phone when everyone and he did mean EVERYONE, tried to call her. They sent texts and tweets and still nothing. That was way out of character. “Alex?” He turned worried eyes to Brian who stepped up to him, placing his hand gently on his shoulder. “Talk to me.”

“I’m worried.”

“Man, this goes beyond that. You remember the time Resa was shopping and didn’t realize the time was so late. She hadn’t called and you weren’t nearly so worried than.” AJ knew Brian was right. There was more going on. He sat down on the arm of the couch, still keeping his eyes outside, but gave his attention to Brian.

“You’re friends with Jackie, correct?”

“Yes I am.”

“And you have a relationship with that woman that LeighAnne doesn’t really grasp, correct?”

“When you’re best friend is a female, you’re wife and girlfriend will never understand it.”

“That’s what Kris is. And I can see the questions, the accusations burning in Theresa’s eyes when I look at her.”

“There’s a difference man. You have a history with Kris. You loved Kris. And beyond all of that, you cheated on Resa with Kris. Resa doesn’t know that, but you can’t expect her not to question it. Man, look at the way you are with Kris. When Resa walks into a room with you two, you both jump ten feet apart, as if you are guilty of something. Granted, you are, but if you love Resa, and really want to marry her, than this nervousness you feel with Kris has got to stop.” Brian took in all the details of AJ, his posture, the tilt of his head, the way his fingers were playing with his shirt and he knew that AJ was questioning that decision. “You do still want to marry Theresa don’t you?” AJ swallowed hard, finally turning his eyes to Brian’s. And as Brian looked into them, he slowly shook his head. “Resa is getting further along with her wedding plans man. Either continue down this path and marry her, or cut the strings and the losses now.”

“I love her.”

“Are you sure J? Really sure?”

“YES!” AJ jumped up off the arm, running his fingers through his hair. “I want Resa as my wife!”

“Than you might want to tell both ladies that. Because I think you’re stringing on two women man.” Mentally, AJ cringed. Was he doing that? Hoping that Kris would be there if anything happened with Resa? Was he giving false hope to his friend, letting her believe that something more would happen with her? He would always love Kris, would always treasure what they shared, but he did want his Resa. His heart and his gut told him that. But before he could speak, lights flashed into the house and before the roar of the engine could die, AJ was racing out the door, yanking Resa from the car and pulling her into his arms, his lips capturing hers. Later, he would mad and upset later. Right now, he was just grateful that nothing happened to her. That him holding her tightly and kissing her roughly was because he was scared and worried. That’s what he desperately wanted to believe.

-----
She saw Brian race out the back door as she headed through the front and than turned her gaze to AJ as he stepped up behind her, not having spoken a word to her.

“Well, I must admit, it’s nice to of you to finally show up, you know.”

“I’m sorry AJ. I was doing some shopping and you just lose track of time. I didn’t mean to worry you, really.”

“And you didn’t pick up your phone? Everyone was calling or texting you. Hell, even Nicky sent you a damn tweet!”

“I left my phone in the car and by the time I even heard the beeping of missed calls, I was on my way home. Figured there would be no reason to call then.”

“No, that is not okay. Resa, you had me worried. Everyone here, was worried. Ad you are just going to waltz right on up and apologize.” She paused as she started to put the bags down. She had never seen AJ this frantic. And this wasn’t the first time she had down that. Hell, he was the same way. Often forgetting about the cell and just enjoy a shopping spree.

“It won’t happen again.”

“You’re damn right it won’t.” With that, he stormed out of the room, anger and worry clearly written all over him. But she had no clue why. Nothing had ever happened to her; she wasn’t a careless driver, so she couldn’t figure out why this time he seemed so butt hurt.

“His mom and Kris told him that you ran out on them. He was worried about you’re well being, about the hurt you must be feeling. That’s it.” She took the few things she bought for the house out of the bags before turning to D. “You’re whole expression shows your confusion about him being angry.”

“Oh. I was hurt D. But you know me, I get over things. I’m not someone who is close to them like Kris is.”

“This is true. We can all see the bond between the McLean’s and Kris. And because of that, AJ was worried that you would do something stupid.” At that, Resa rolled her eyes. It wasn’t to say that the thought of doing something drastic hadn’t crossed her mind, for it had. But doing something would only cause more pain and heart break rather than help her like she wanted.

“You know me D. I’m not that type.”

“I know that. But that doesn’t stop someone who loves you from worrying.” She finally put everything away and than turned to look at him fully.

“Do you think I’m stupid for questioning his love?”

“No. You are human and you have received a major jolt to that foundation of love. But let me say something as your friend here. Either you believe AJ still loves you and you go on with the marriage, of you call it quits, here and now. But if you keep your goal for the marriage, know there will be more shocks, more things you are going to find out about him and Kris that you may no like. And remember that was the past, and this all in the present.” She crossed her arms as she thought that over. D was right. Either she truly trusted and believed her fiancé or she cut the strings. She walked over to D and gave him a big hug.

“You’re right. I hate it when you’re right, but thank you.” She left him standing there and she walked outside. His eyes stayed glued to the spot where she just stood, his heart pounding. Was he a fool? More than likely. But no matter what happened between him and Kris, he couldn’t stop his heart from racing when Resa was in the room. He knew he told her to choose but damn the foolish thought of her saying that she would it all.