- Text Size +
Chapter 3
“As if you have to ask, Theresa! But, I would be honored!”

“Great.”

“I’m glad he asked. So, when do I get to meet him?”

“I don’t know. Are you finally moving out here? I know your shop is back home, but come on Kris, you need more shops opened.”

“I don’t know, you know I have to talk it over…”

“Yes, yes, I know. So, are you enjoying Paris?”

“Paris? No, I didn’t tell you? Oh gosh, my plans changed. I’m actually in Hawaii.”

“Get out! Oh, I love Hawaii. Actually, I want to go to Hawaii.” Kris laughed, leaning against the headboard, her fingers running over the comforter on the bed.

“It’s beautiful out here! Hey, maybe that should be the honeymoon.”

“Not to toot any horn here, but, he makes money, we can do better than Hawaii. Actually, we were talking about a cruise, one of those like two months or something out in the Mediterranean.”

“You’re planning the honeymoon before the wedding?” Theresa laughed, right along with Kris. “Hey, girl, I hate to cut this short, but I’m pretty tired and wanted to take a nap before I head out tonight.”

“Oh, by all means. Enjoy yourself girl, and have some fun!”

“The same goes for you. Your man is gone, live it up!”

“I’ll try girlie.”

“Bye hon.” Kris hung up her cell phone, tossing it on the other side of the bed. She shifted as she laid down, a smile tugging on her lips as she thought about AJ. Damn, it was years since she had seen him. And yeah, she had kept tabs on him, of course. Besides, it wasn’t all that hard not to hear about the Backstreet Boys. She had to admit too, that he was looking pretty damn good.

-----
AJ leaned against the wall, his hands deep in the pockets of his jeans. For some strange reason, he was nervous. Maybe because he kept something from his girl. Maybe because it was that this was Kris, whom he had a crush on. Maybe, hell, maybe it was lots of things. He sighed, his head lifting up as he heard the ding of the elevator and saw her walk out, chuckling as she wore a rather tight pair of pants and a tank top. Kris was never a girlie girl, back than nor now.

“You look amazing.” Kris smiled as her eyes did the once over on him.

“As do you. But I have to ask here Alex, can’t you say no?” He frowned at that.

“No to what?”

“To getting all the tats here! You’re gonna be a walking billboard pretty damn soon.” He laughed, his arm linking through hers as they walked out of the lobby. “So, where’s D?”

“He’s meeting us there. Says someone had to escort you so nothing happened.”

“Oh, what true gentlemen you both are.”

“Well, I try.” Kris laughed at that.

“So, things been going good for you and the guys, I’m guessing?”

“Yeah, I suppose I can’t complain.”

“Not that it will do you any damn good because I won’t feel sorry for you in the least.”

“And you’re supposed to be my best friend.”

“And I never gave you a pity party back than.” This time, it was AJ’s turn to laugh, for he remembered quite well. He held the door open for her as they made their way into the club, loving the soft scent that clung to her. Oh, that was not a good start. He sighed, following her, his eyes quickly scanning the crowd, spotting Howie at a booth in the back. AJ put his hand on the small of her back, ushering her through the crowded dance floor.

“Would you like something to drink?” he whispered, knowing that shouting wasn’t going to be heard over the bass of the music.

“Just a coke.” He nodded his head, glanced at Howie who only shook his head, than made his way over to the bar. For some strange reason, he really was craving a drink; he actually felt like he might need it.

-----
Two hours later, his hands settled along her waist as they automatically started moving to the slow jam that was currently playing. And there was no doubt in his mind that the glare he was getting was from Howie. But, he wasn’t doing anything wrong. Theresa knew he was out having a good time. She did say go out and have fun. And she wasn’t the type to say things simply to say them. So, he was having fun. This was Kris, and sure, he had a crush on her way back in the day, but he loved Theresa, that’s the woman he wanted to marry. No woman was going to make him change his mind.

“You’re quiet.”

“I’m enjoying this.” She pulled back slightly, her eyes holding his.

“Really?”

“Yeah. I’ve missed you Kris. You were one of the few people who I think really ever understood me. We were so close, I miss that too.”

“I’ve missed it as well. I have my friends know, even a couple best friends, but none ever replaced you. None ever could.”

“I feel the same way. Even with the D man over there.” She giggled and he let that sound wash over him, enveloping him. “So, tell me about your best friends here. Are they as wild and crazy as I am?”

“Oh gosh, one is. Well, I would have to say she’s the closest to you. I called her today, found out she’s engaged, so I get to be the maid of honor. It’s so cool, but I still have yet to meet her man.”

“He’s that busy?” She shrugged.

“I’m not sure. She’s never given me a name, just that, well, yeah, that he’s busy. But, he makes her happy and she’s in love with him. I love and adore her and would hate to see anyone break her heart.”

“Sounds like she is a good friend.” The slow song ended and Kris pulled back even more, her eyes once more capturing his.

“She is Alex, but you’re the only I could ever really say was my bestest friend. And you know that means a lot to me. You’ve always meant a lot to me.” She glanced down for a moment before smiling at him. “I would love it if we could be that close again.”