- Text Size +
Chapter 30

Resa just stared at him, blinked a few times, not buying that at all. For one, Howie wasn’t like that; using women was not in his make up. And two, AJ would not have gotten THAT upset over something like that. But she knew that she would not be getting anymore from him. He already had that face up of ‘don’t ask, won’t tell’. And that was a side of him she hated.

She sighed, shrugged her shoulders and stood up. She wasn’t going to deal with him. She had other problems and other solutions. If he wanted to be an ass, that was on him. She didn’t have to deal with it, in fact, she wouldn’t. Take that AJ. She turned and walked in, in search of the blonde hair heart throb of the group. She had a mission and tonight, she needed his help.

-----
Kris wrinkled her brow as Howie lifted his shirt up slightly, seeing a bruise form, both on his stomach and on his back. Damn AJ and his quick temper.

“It amazes me, from time to time, how anyone can manage a friendship, let alone a relationship, with that man.” Howie grinned in the mirror at her and turned around, lowering his shirt.

“It’s not always easy. But the way I get along with him is the same way I get along with my real brother. Being around AJ, you learn his moods, his attitude. Usually when he’s that pissy, I stay clear. We all do. The only brave one to venture close to him is Resa. She has…a soothing effect on that mood. At least most of the time.”

“That doesn’t make up for it, you know.”

“Oh, I know. But we all go through those stages. There’s times when it’s best to leave me alone too. I guess, though, wanting revenge and beating the shit out of him ruled over my common sense to leave him alone.” He strolled over to the couch and sat down next to her, half wanting to know if she knew that their little fight was over her. It was obvious Resa had a thought. And Kris was too much like Resa not to know. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. “Just forget about it. I’m not made of glass and neither is he. It’s not the first time we swung punches at each other. And I have a feeling; it certainly won’t be our last either.” She slowly turned her head and looked at him, a smile coming to her lips.

“Were you protecting my honor?”

“I’m sorry?”

“I’ve known Alex for way too many years. That man…can get a little defensive over me. When we were younger, he beat up this little scrawny boy because he tried to kiss me. Alex screamed at him that I belonged to Alex and no one else. This wasn’t true because we weren’t dating, merely best friends. So, were you protecting me because AJ didn’t like the fact that we were dating? Or seeing each other?” Howie twisted his lip. On some level, that was the case. Howie knew it wasn’t because of that per say, but rather the fact that AJ didn’t like the fact that Howie was making moves on the one chick he really liked. Not like that was Howie’s problem! AJ just wanted to be a two timing cheating bastard and Howie wasn’t going to let him. He had his choice, now he had to stick with it.

“Well, put like that, I guess. Alex is engaged to a wonderful woman and yet he’s…”

“He’s Alex. I know he loves Resa; I wouldn’t want him to walk away from her. They belong with each other. And that’s okay, I’m okay with it. I did my crime; I can’t change it, neither can he. But that doesn’t give him the right to be an ass and try to break up another relationship.”

“Another relationship?” Howie’s eyebrow lifted at that. He wanted to redirect this conversation. He didn’t want to remember the island and what had transpired. That…it was better to forget it. At least it was for him. As for his brother, that was a whole other story and one AJ had to learn to deal with or contend with. But he would be damned if he was going to let AJ go on being an ass just because Howie was interested in Kris.

“Yes. The one that’s forming right here…between us.” Kris smiled at Howie and slowly leaned over, gently placing her lips against his, unable to fight the slight tingle that raced down her spine and made her heart catch a beat. Mentally, they both blocked out AJ and Resa and their problems. As of right now, the only two that mattered was them and that’s all. Howie wrapped an around her waist, pulling her a little bit closer, his mind swirling with feelings for her. And as quickly as the kiss began, it ended, with the door flying open, and Nick standing right there, a smirk on his face.

“Baylee is out on stage man. If you hadn’t heard the call, which I’m guessing you didn’t. Let’s go.” Kris stood up, waved to Howie and smirked.

“I’m gonna go get my seat. Front row. Make sure I get a wave or something.” With that, Kris walked out, leaving Howie alone to think about that and grinning.

She walked all over, finally spotting blondie and ran over to him, grabbing his arm.

“Before you go out there, I need to talk to you.”

“What about Resa?”

“You said you were into the Tarot cards and everything right? That you knew how to read them?”

“Yeah. A secret of mine, but yeah, I did. Why?”

“I think it’s time I did a reading. That fight between Howie and AJ goes a lot deeper than what either one of them is saying. I just need my questions answered.” Nick’s brow wrinkled, his heart going out to Resa. He knew what AJ had done, all of the guys did. And he knew AJ, knew Howie, knew that some one was bound to get hurt. And honestly, he just didn’t want that to happen, but at this point, it was unavoidable.

“Sure. Um, I can do it after the after party tonight. You are going, right?” She twisted her lip and shrugged.

“I wasn’t planning on it, but yeah, I think I had better.”

“Great. We won’t be long, we can sneak out early or something.”

“Thanks Nick, you’re the best.” She stood on her tip toes and kissed his cheek, her heart lifting a bit. Perhaps it was time to find out some truthful answers. The problem was, could she forgive and forget if she didn’t like the answers that would be popping up?