- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
But you thought this was on hold huh? Well...kinda. But I'm getting around to more ;) So sit back and enjoy the drama!
Chapter 34

“Things happen for a reason, I know this. And I didn’t think my relationship with the soon to be husband would ever get tested, I mean seriously tested. But he comes back home to me with hickeys on his neck. And than you come around and he’s jumpy and crazy…and I can’t even describe it. He’s doing things I never thought he would do and saying things I’ve never heard. And than I realize, you have Alex.”

“Resa, I don’t…” She held up her hand for Kris to stop.

“You do. Alex is a side of him that not many people see. And that even fewer get to experience. Alex hasn’t come out for me. I have AJ, I will always have AJ. But…can he stay happy in a relationship where he’s AJ?” Resa stood up, offering Kris a small smile. “You are his best friend. I know some things, for he did share. And I’m happy to call you my best friend too.” She licked her lips, her mind just tumbling around with so many thoughts. “But I’m not a fool. Something major happened in Hawaii with you two. And either this…thing between you two will end, or I go home alone.” With that, Resa quickly walked away, leaving Kris alone. Which, was not good. She wanted to scream at the top of her lungs. Okay, maybe she did make plans to try and steal the groom away, but God, not at the risk of hurting her best friend. Resa was in love with AJ, and Kris, no matter how much she loved Alex, just couldn’t betray her friend like that.

And than there was Howie. Kris could admit she was feeling something for him. He was so sweet and he did seem to care about her. And he was a decent man, something she hadn’t had in a long time, if ever. Sure, there was Alex, but things soon fell away there. And than to top it off, he flippin cheated on Resa, knowing that. At least Kris wasn’t aware he was engaged at the moment she slept with him. Okay, maybe deep down she knew he was with someone, but that was the extent of it, honestly. It wasn’t like she kept tabs on his relationship status. She just knew about his career and that was it.

Kris sighed and flopped back on the chair, starring up at the sky. This was a lot harder than it should have been. She wasn’t quite expecting AJ to love the woman…her best friend. She groaned and threw her arm over her eyes, not wanting to think about what Resa had said. Thanks to that, Kris wasn’t positive she could enjoy a starry night again. Damn it! This was so hard. Why the hell did she have to feel anything for that asshole anyways?

“Penny for your thoughts?” Kris moved her arm and lifted her head a bit, seeing Brian standing there, smiling a bit.

“Well, hello to you.”

“Hi. I’m not intruding am I?”

“Nope. Just got done talking to Resa and was enjoying the night.” Brian nodded and took the spot next to her.

“And thinking, I’m guessing.”

“Yeah.”

“About two certain members of the Backstreet Boys who shall remain nameless?” Kris sat up and turned to look at Brian.

“Not two. Just one.”

“Ah, AJ.”

“Is it that obvious Brian?”

“That you have some sort of feelings for him like he does for you? Kinda. I mean, when you first started hanging around, there was a look in your eye, but it’s slowly leaving. I’m not sure if it’s because of Howie or because you realize just how close AJ and Resa are.”

“I love Resa, she’s my best friend. In so many ways, we are so a like and so close. But at the same time, I’m jealous of her. Alex has always had my heart, but than, she has him.”

“Kris, between you and me, did you come on this tour, come out with your friends, because you had hopes of trying to ruin a relationship?” Kris twisted her lip and played with her skirt, not wanting to look at him. How the hell was Brian so damn insightful! Really? He had to peg her right off the back like that?

“Kinda, sorta, maybe…fine, yes. I wanted Alex and I was determined to break up the relationship. But I see the love in her eyes, the passion in his, and I know that I just can’t do it. I want them happy, and if being happy means they are with each other, than as their best friends, I need to step back and just let them be happy.”

“That would be very true. I’ve seen things in AJ, changes in him, since Resa has come into his life. He smiles more, his a lot more carefree. But to be honest, he’s even more different with you. His eyes light up when he smiles, his laugh is more from the heart. I’m not telling you what to do. I’m not suggesting you break up the relationship or not. But I am giving you the advice of not to string on two men. Howie is a great guy and any girl is lucky to have him. But he just got out of a relationship where he got hurt and burned really bad and I’d rather not see that happy again. Currently Kris, you are string on two men. You are giving just a sliver of hope to AJ that there could be something there. If there isn’t, if you are dead set against hurting Resa, or possibly them both, than you need to be forward with AJ. Tell him all of these little games and snide remarks or whatever just needs to stop. You are with Howie and he is with Resa.” Kris thought that over and couldn’t agree more. She had told AJ that, but she sure wasn’t making quite the stand that she needed to about it either. She leaned over and gave Brian a hug.

“Thanks Bri! You are so very right and that’s not really something I thought of.”

“Eh, I know. I’m the smart one in the group.” Kris chuckled and got up, waving to LeighAnne as she walked outside and than turned the corner, her eyes quickly spotting both Resa and AJ.