- Text Size +
Chapter 40

She glanced down at her left hand and slipped the ring off and set it back in the box. She glanced up into the mirror and didn’t even recognize herself, her face looked pale and her eyes, which always seemed to have some kind of spark, seemed to be dull and puffy. This was not the Resa she knew.

She sighed, grabbed her key card, her phone and her purse. When she left, she told herself It was needed. She even stopped by the house, picked up a few things and was about to say goodbye, when she finally broke down. She had been betrayed by the man she loved, by the man who claimed to lover her; how do you go on from that kind of hurt and loss?

No man had ever made her feel the way he did. No man had ever treated her the way he did, and in truth, that was in both regards of being bad and good. And she just wasn’t sure that any man could make her feel like that again.

She walked out of her hotel room and down to the beach. She had purchased everything with her own card, for she really didn’t want AJ to track her, or anyone else for that matter. Not that she was certain anyone would. She made a turn to the left and started walking down the boardwalk, always loving the ocean, and this one spot. It was a bit more pricey, but it was very private.

She paused at a stand and looked at the wraps the lady was selling and was about to look at one when her phone went off. She opened the message and frowned.

“Pick the pink one,” she read out loud. She shook her head and thought she sent the wrong message and was about to put her phone away when she got another message, this one making Resa raise her head and look around, wondering where the blonde woman was.

LeighAnne finally stepped out from behind a booth and Resa smiled, glad to have someone to talk to. Leigh walked over and hugged her, smiling as she spoke. “You really should get the pink one and then join me for dinner.”

“I think your right.” Resa quickly purchased it and then linked her arm through LeighAnne’s. “So, how did you find me?”

“I simply remembered when we first meet. You know I was out here alone.”

“Yeah. You never explained why.” LeighAnne paused in her step and turned to face Resa.

“No one knew but me and Brian, why I was out here. And I’m about to share one of my biggest secrets. So, go change and meet me in the lobby.

-----
Half an hour later, Resa sat down across from LeighAnne, smiling at her friend as she saw the amber liquid at her spot.

“You know what I wanted?”

“Let’s just say you might need it hon.” Resa lifted a brow and took a sip of the liquid. Resa glanced around, noticing that they were in a corner and away from the other customers. “I told them I wanted a private area. Every once in a while, it pays to have some extra cash.” Resa laughed at that.

“You are very right about that LeighAnne. So, what exactly brings you out this way?”

“Blunt aren’t you?”

“Come on LeighAnne. You know me better than that, and I know you.” LeighAnne nodded, trying her best to gather her thoughts.

“Nick told us you left, and everyone was watching AJ, seeing how he would react and what he was going. But, two days ago, I watched D and finally talked to him. He told me about the kiss you two shared and said he felt like he drove you off.” Resa blinked a few times, not thinking that D would every say anything.

“That wasn’t all of it, maybe just a small part. It did confuse me, made me run. But all in all, it wasn’t bad. Nick caught up to me and we talked.”

“So he said, but he still hasn’t told anyone what you two talked about.”

“Nor would he. If you make Nick promise something, he’s pretty good at keeping those promises; Nick is one very loyal friend.” LeighAnne actually winced, for after that statement, she was pretty sure of what Resa and Nick had talked about.

“It’s not what you think.”

“It never is. But you know what, its fine. I always knew what would happen. At this point, it really is water under the bridge.”

“I’m sorry Resa.” She waved her hand at LeighAnne.

“Really, it’s okay. Why don’t you tell me why you sought me out though? I pretty much tried to go into hiding.”

“And again, you fooled everyone but me. I didn’t even tell Brian where I was going.”

“But he knew you left.” LeighAnne regarded the woman across from her and rested her arms on the table.

“He does. I told him I was coming to talk to you, that I knew where you were and that out of any of us, I was probably the only one who could help you.”

“Help how?”

“Help you make your choice. Love is a very strong and powerful emotion. And marriage is a huge deal; it’s not something you want to enter lightly in. I know you feel betrayed and really have no idea how or where to start forgiving him. I know all the thoughts you are having and all the feelings that are flowing through you.”

“How in the world would you know anything about…how…I’m feeling?” But Resa had already started answering her own question; for there was no way that she could say that and not have experienced that. But, it couldn’t have been with Brian; he loved her way too much to betray her in such a manner.

LeighAnne watched her face, actually surprised to see how her thoughts and feelings tended to play across her face.

“He did, that’s why I was here, trying to figure out what to do and where to go after I found he had cheated.”