- Text Size +
Chapter 41

“LeighAnne…” Resa trailed off, not knowing how or what to say. From what she could tell, Bri and Leigh always had a solid relationship. Sure, they fought, like any married couple, but to actually have someone cheat, Resa just couldn’t grasp that.

“Five years ago, we had a huge problem. You could even say that it was more my fault than his; I don’t lay all the blame at Bri’s feet. After months of Brian’s performing and constantly going on tour time and time again, and leaving me alone, I got tired. I fought so bad with him, we probably fought once a day for almost two weeks straight, over him always putting the music before his family. Looking back, that wasn’t fair in any regard; I have always known how important music and the fans are to Brian, and usually I respect that.

“Maybe it was all the crap I kept hearing from my family that pushed me to the point that I was at. They had pestered me, filled my head with all kinds of thoughts and made me rant and rave at my husband rather than simply talk to him.” She paused and took a sip of her own drink. She had taken a deep breath and stared at the table cloth before once more going on.

“I never let Brian leave for any extended amount of time mad at him, or have him mad at me. Well, I don’t do it period. But, the major blow we had was the night before they left for a tour. I was really hurt and so upset with him that I never tired to fix it before he left. They were gone for two months! And normally Brian and I always talk; this time I could count the number of times we talked on one hand.

“Anyways, he drew back into town, I figured out that I really just had to forgive and accept what was going on. And I knew we had to talk but I also knew that I really couldn’t let my family get so involved. Again, why this time was so different, I never know, can’t even recall. Anyways, I go to pick him up and he is more withdrawn than I had ever seen him, and I tired everything I could think of to get him to talk, nothing worked. And for the first time in all of our marriage, he actually slept in another room.

“The following morning, I came downstairs and saw Brian just looking out the window. To this day, I’m glad I have the foresight to take Bayley elsewhere and let him stay the night, for what followed became our worst, loudest, most hurtful argument. Brian finally turned and I could tell by his eyes that something was on his mind. I sat down and nearly fell off the couch when Brian told me that he had cheated. He explained what happened, that he had got to thinking about our problems and got upset all over again and ran into an old friend. One thing led to another and had a one nighter, Now, we both count our lucky stars that it wasn’t a fan. Could you imagine the rumor mill on that one?

“Needless to say, I blew up. I called him every name I could think of and he actually returned the favor. He even went so far as to say ‘if I wasn’t being such a prissy, stuck up bitch, he wouldn’t have done what he did’. For that, he got a slap. Brian and I have never laid a hand on each other in any manner other than a loving one. But in exchange for that slap, I got a shove. Blue eyes on both of us had turned to ice. And I knew that I couldn’t stay there, no matter what he said. I was too hurt, too confused and I needed to think, I need some place private.”

“Some place like here?” Resa offered, her eyes wide. No one had ever heard about this fight before in the Littrell household; though it wasn’t like Resa blamed them, she would have kept it mum too.

“Exactly. See, I had always loved Brian, and I always would. But I had to think about if all that love was strong enough to conquer the type of hurt both of us was feeling. Was I willing to see my man in another woman’s arms?

“Now, I know our situations are different, for Brian cheated for a whole other reason, but the outcome is still the same. He betrayed me, just like AJ betrayed you. And in the same regards, both used an old friend to cause the pain and both didn’t want it to happen, but it did.”

Resa leaned back in the seat, taking her glass of Jack with her and thought about what Leigh had said. Here was the couple who were so in love and they had overcome a huge problem. “What made you take him back?”

LeighAnne smiled, sipped her drink and simply said, “love.”

“Love?”

“Yes. This was my man. I loved him and was going to be damned if I let anyone but me touch him again. Before I ran into you though, I was already out here for a week, going back and forth. IT wasn’t an easy decision, and it was still a very rocky road, actually, it still is. But in the end, I chose to forgive him and move on.”

Theresa watched as LeighAnne folded her hands and placed them on the table. Her thoughts were going a mile a minute. Yes, she could see the reason LeighAnne stayed, but Resa didn’t have those reasons. Resa shook her head, not even knowing what to say to all of this. This actually confused her all the more, for she was pretty sure that she had planned on leaving AJ. But now this? At least she wasn’t alone with her pain, and for t hat she was grateful.

“LeighAnne, I’m not you. AJ and I don’t have a family or anything.”

“You’re right Resa, you don’t. But you do have a home, a life, and in truth, you two have dogs that are family. You have love as well. Those are things you need to think about as well. And don’t give me that crap about AJ and Alex. The other can grow to love you as well.”

Resa only shook her head, not really thinking that Alex could really ever love her.
“Thank you LeighAnne.” The blonde reached over and squeezed Resa’s hand.

“I’m always here hon. I just hope this helps you.” Resa smiled at her.

“It did. Excuse me. I gotta be alone.”