- Text Size +
Chapter 45

He couldn’t believe his eyes when he woke up this morning and saw the text message. The last thing he expected was for her to call or text and asked to be picked up at the airport. He half thought, and maybe slightly hoped, that she would be back at their place cleaning it out of her stuff.

And yet, her message clearly said she was coming back to the tour but she wanted to surprise everyone. Part of him felt more special. But, on some other messed up level, part of him wanted to be the group that got the surprise. There was a reason behind her asking him, he knew that much. But, this was Resa, and you really couldn’t second guess her mind. Once you did, you’d be wrong.

He leaned against the wall as he waited, finally seeing the plane taxi to the gate. Although, he frowned to himself as he felt his heart rate speed up. That was not a good sign. But, he straightened up as he saw her and was readily able to pick her up as she jumped into his arms. And though he liked the feel of her, he knew that this was wrong, all of it.

“Now, that’s how you should great your lover after a long while.” Howie quickly sat her down and both of them turned to look at the older couple who was watching them.

“She’s not, she’s my friend….”

“Even better,” the older man said and took his wife’s hand, kissing the back of it. “Friends make the best lovers, all inhibitions and embarrassments fly out the window son.” The guy winked at D and finally strolled away, leaving Resa and D staring after them.

“As many people as I have picked up at the airport, I don’t think I have ever had anyone make that comment to me.” Resa watched them and linked her arm through Howie’s.

“That could be, but you gotta admit, that was pretty damn funny.” Yes, he could admit that, but then again, those were words that seem to be echoing in his mind.

-----
She glanced at him as he drove, letting him navigate the airport before finally speaking up. “I don’t want to go to the hotel yet.” D looked over at her and nodded.

“Okay, what do you wanna do?”

“Have lunch. Somewhere private and cozy. I wanna talk to you, away from everything and everyone; this is why I asked you to pick me up.”

“I wondered what the deal was. But, sure, I know just the right place and the food there is the best you will find.” Resa merely lifted a brow and then saw him get on the freeway and make a quick exit on Ocean Avenue. Sure, there were tons of places that were along the coast that were great, but only his place was private and Resa had to smile at that.

15 minutes later, Howie was unlocking the door to his condo and ushered her in. “Make yourself at home.”

“You know, this is the first time that I’ve been in here.” Resa walked around, smiling at how clean it was. “And I swear, it looks like it did on Cribs.”

“Well, for a long time, I wasn’t living here. And I like it, so why change it?”

“That is very true.” Resa turned and looked at D, who handed her some water. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Sit down, I’ll start on lunch.” He went back into the kitchen and she browsed around, staring at pictures of his family or with the guys and actually opened her eyes wide as she saw one with him and her all dressed up for something fancy.

“What was that for?” Howie stepped up behind her, noticed what it was and grinned.

“For LeighAnne’s and Brian’s anniversary. Remember, AJ didn’t make it but you weren’t about to miss it, so I became like your unspoken date?”

“Oh my gosh, how in the world could I forget?” That was one of the best nights ever!”
Howie watched her for a moment and had to agree. They had a lot of fun and that night probably drew them closer as friend as well.

“It was great. So, what’s on your mind?” Howie took her hand and led her to the couch, letting her sit down first.

“Actually, a lot of things.” Resa sat down and took another sip of her water before setting her bottle down. “You know I talked to Nick before I left, right?” Howie winced and could feel his cheeks flame up but before he could say anything, she held up her hand and shook her head. “Listen to me before you say anything please. I know you too well and how you tend to think.”

“Okay, the floor is yours.”

“Nick told me the truth. He answered every question I put before him concerning AJ and Kris and what happened in Hawaii. And I will be honest D, that hurt. You knew before anyone and you kept it, and for as close as we were, that hurt all the more. But,” she held up her hand again when saw the protest on his lips, for she knew her friends pretty well, “I do know why. And no, it wasn’t because AJ was your boy. In your way, you thought you were protecting me, and I thank you. You honestly felt that this was the right thing. And, maybe on some level, it was.” She reached over and squeezed his hand. “I also know that with you, you probably thought I would be way more upset with you.”

“You had every right.”

“And I thank you for that. But I’m not. And that’s why I wanted to talk to you. I accept what you did and I even deem it okay. You are my best friend D, don’t doubt that.”

“So, what’s your choice?” She leaned back on the couch and looked at Howie, a smile tugging at her lips.

“I can’t even tell AJ before I tell you?” He thought that over for a moment and than shook his head.

“Nope, you gotta tell me. I have to know.”

“You don’t have to know shit! You just want to know.” She rolled her eyes and than leaned forward and rested her hands on his knees. “I’m going to say…I want food. My stomach is growling and it’s about ready to eat itself.”

-----
They sat down at the table and Resa took a sip of her wine as she watched Howie and then waited for him to sit down before she asked the question she’d been longing to know.
“So,” she picked up her fork and looked at him, “what’s the deal with you and Kris?” He looked at her and then shrugged, taking a few bites before answering.

“I guess you can say nothing really happened. We went on a few dates and had some kissing, but when it came down to it, the attraction just wasn’t really there.”

“Oh Howie!”

“It’s okay. She’s a good friend though.” Howie kept his thoughts to himself about how he really saw the woman he really wanted coming to his arms.