- Text Size +
Chapter 46

“I feel like something is going to happen,” AJ said, resting his arm on Brian’s shoulder, admitting the uneasy feeling he was having. And he would be damned if he had any clue about what was gonna happen. But when it came to those gut feelings, he just knew to trust ‘em.

“Hey, has anyone seen D?

“I’m right here. Hold your horses.” All heads turned to look at him, AJ’s brows wrinkling at how tired he was looking.

“Are you alright man?”

“Yeah. Just a late night. I was up talking.” All the men snickered and Howie rolled his eyes. “Really, aren’t we grown men here? I swear guys.”

“Talking to who, Howie?” AJ asked, fallin in step with the other guy.

“A friend man. That’s all, nothing happened.”

“Oh, so it was a girl.” AJ paused and watched Howie, really wondering now what was going on. Yeah, Howie could keep to himself when he wanted, but something told AJ that this time around, it was way more.

“What is it AJ?” Howie had paused as well and looked back at AJ.

“Just, I know you’re keeping something. And you hardly do that.” AJ couldn’t help the whine that seemed to creep into his voice. But, damn it, he could feel something was going on and didn’t like it.

“Man, you gotta relax.” AJ turned around and looked at Nick, then at Kevin.

“What gives? What the hell is going on?”

“What makes you think anything is going on?” He froze, not wanting to turn and look at that voice, or rather, the person the voice belonged to. He had to be dreaming because he really thought she wasn’t coming back. But, finally he did and felt his breath catch at the sight of her.

“Theresa?”

“Were you expecting someone else?”

”Not really, I guess. I just thought…” He trailed off as he watched her approach, a lump seeing to form in his throat. It wasn’t her style to break up over the phone, so her being here wasn’t stating that she was his again.

“You thought what?” Her left hand crept up and cupped his cheek.

“Hell if I know what I really thought.” Her lips curved up and into that little smile that he seemed to love so much.

“You seem to do that quite often you know.”

“I do.”

“Wanna go to lunch with me?” AJ lifted his eyes away from hers to tell the group he was bailing on them but smiled instead as he saw they all had left. “Unless, of course, you had other plans or something.”

“Somehow, I think you took care of that.”

-----
Resa leaned back against the bench and took a sip of her soda as she watched AJ. He sure seemed shocked and maybe slightly confused when he saw her. She knew that she had to tread carefully. She could still want him, but maybe he just didn’t want her anymore.

She watched him as he doctored up his burger and then added some ketchup to his plate for his fries and finally glanced at her.

“Aren’t you gonna eat?” She nodded and finished fixing her salad. “I can’t believe that’s all you’re eating.”

“Why? I can steal your fries.” He glanced sharply at her and then moved his body to protect his precious food. “Oh do you really think that would work?” He laughed and shook his head.

“No, but I can try.” They sat in peace and enjoyed the meal, both nervous and yet both knowing that no matter what, everything would be okay.
Finally, Resa pushed her plate away and then snagged a fry as AJ did the same. He lifted an eyebrow at her but she only grinned at him.

“So, did you enjoy your trip?”

“I did babe. I thought about a lot of things.” She licked her lips and then turned to look him in the eye. “You know Nick told me everything, right?” Resa watched the eyes she had always loved and saw the way they wanted to lie, but couldn’t.

“I know.”

“Is there anything you want to add?”

“I’m sorry. I got…I was stupid. And that’s not an excuse. But I love you Theresa. You are the woman I want.”

“You mean that?”

“I do.”

“Okay.” She took a deep breath and AJ felt like he was walking a tight rope, thinking that with the wrong words, he was gonna fall off. “I’m not gonna pretend to understand what you were thinking; why you did it or why you lied. I just want you to know that I cried myself to sleep more times then I care to count. And I blame that on you.”

“I would too, to be honest.”

“I’m glad we agree on that.” She grabbed the napkin and started twisting it. “I’m not gonna lie and I’m not gonna sugar coat this. You’re an ass AJ, for what you did. That was horrible. And then covering it up every single time; that only makes you worse.” AJ listened to her and knew she was right. She deserved way better than he had given and that sure as hell was a bitter pill to swallow. He swallowed hard, feeling like he was about to fall off that tight rope and he knew he had only himself to blame.

“I deserve….everything to have to say.”

“No, AJ, you don’t. You don’t deserve my love or my forgiveness, but I’m willing to give you both.” He just started at her, unblinking, unbreathing. There was no way she could have uttered those words. She actually wanted to try and make this work? She giggled a bit and that snapped him out of his daze.

“You’re serious?”

“I am AJ. I love you. And yes, you hurt me and you can bet your ass I’m gonna make you pay very dearly. But I also know that I don’t wanna live without you. In fact, I really don’t want to try.”

“So, are you telling me that…you…um….,” he couldn’t even get the words out. But, he watched as reached into her purse and pulled out the pink diamond he had gotten for her.

“If you don’t mind Alexander, with your permission, I would like to wear this ring and it truly means that we will get married.” With a lighting of the heart that he didn’t think was possible, he took the ring from her and slipped it back on her finger. Then he placed a kiss there and pulled her close, connecting his lips to hers. From sheer will power alone, he had to forget Kris and forget their night together. He, he wouldn’t regret it, but he did have to forget. He wanted a life with the woman before him and that really meant blocking out everything else.

His mind roared loud and clear that he could do it, that he could love only Resa and value her like he needed to. His heart, on the other side, straight up told him that he was being foolish in so many accounts. In this regard, he chose to listen to his mind.