- Text Size +
Chapter 47

“You okay?” Kris looked up from her book at the other blonde one and smiled.

“I guess.” Nick sat down next to her and ran his fingers through his hair. When he had found out that Resa was coming back, he had done another reading, then another and finally another; the answer was all the same. “Nick, are you okay?”

“Yeah, I guess too.” Kris rose an eyebrow, clearly not buying that. “I just, I like my friends happy. I want the world around me to be peaceful.”

“Given your history Nick, I don’t blame you. Anyone would want that.” Nick thought that over and nodded, knowing that’s why he was always helping his friends.

“Yeah, but….,” he paused and then turned to really look at her. “Can I ask you something and you give me an honest answer? Not that you owe it to me or anything, but I just gotta know.” Kris frowned as she watched Nick and knew that something was upsetting him. Having been around him and seeing his normal happy moods, this was something she just didn’t like, and was more than willing to try and make him happy.

“Yes Nick, go ahead and ask. I’ll you whatever you wanna know.”

“Are you in love with Alex enough to try and steal him?” Why the hell did she say yes?! How could she answer that truthfully? She licked her lips and sighed.

“Had you asked me before Resa left, then yes. But Resa is my best friend and there is no way that I would dare hurt her for the third time.” This time it was Nick’s turn to raise his eyebrow, seeing how she didn’t really answer the question.

“Then let me say it differently. Are you in love with Alex?” Kris took another deep breath and then just nodded her head. “And is part of you angry that Resa is back?” Once again, Kris nodded, not having any voice. After all, how could she? She was voicing some rather deep thoughts that could get her into some serious trouble.

“Nick,” she finally managed to croak out. But if she thought that would stop, she sadly mistaken.

“Wait, let me finish. I know you might find me crazy, and I wouldn’t blame you. But let’s just say that I know your gonna end up with the man you are in love with.”

“Bull shit Nick! Resa and AJ are engaged. She’s back and she makes him happy. Why would you dare say that eh would leave and be with me?” But all Nick did was shrug. Not about to let out one of his deepest secrets. It was bad enough Resa knew but he really didn’t need word to get around. Not that he really thought people would go and tell, but it was still a change he wasn’t willing to take, period.

“Let’s just say that I’ve seen it Kris. You and AJ will end up being together.” Kris stood up and glared at Nick.

“How dare you say that! Resa and AJ are gonna be married and there is no way I’m standing in the way of that! Ever!” With that, Kris glared at Nick once more. There was no way she was gonna inflict more pain on one of the woman she adored. And as she went to yank the door open, Kris gasped as Resa stood before, her hand about ready to know. “Resa!”

“Kris!” Resa smiled at her and then glanced at Nick. “Is everything okay? I can come back.”

“No, everything is fine. It’s great to have you back.” Kris pulled Resa into a hug and smiled. “What’s up girlie?”

“I was just going to see if you wanted to go have lunch with me, or drinks.” She paused, glanced at Nick again and then back to Kris. “We need to talk.”

“Oh.” Kris swallowed hard, her mind spinning. “Let me grab my purse.” She turned around, seeing Nick and then frowned but still turned and followed Resa. “Did you have any place in mind?”

“Not really. The bar across the street looked good.” Resa slipped her arm through Kris’, which in some way, made Kris even more nervous. This was not how Resa should be acting if she was pissed and was gonna rip Kris a new one.

Resa went in and picked a corner booth to sit down in and waited for Kris before ordering some drinks. Kris sat down across from her and smiled as the waitress brought their drinks. Kris took a sip of her drink and watched Resa do the same.

“So….”

“You can’t just enjoy the silence huh?” Resa chuckled and shook her head at Kris. “I talked to Nick before I left. About everything.” She paused and looked at Kris. “Including Hawaii.”

“Resa, let me explain.”

“Oh, I have every intention of letting you in fact. I know you didn’t know he was engaged and I very much understand that. AJ knows he played the system. I want you to explain how you could go on every day as my best friend and not tell me.”

“God, did I want to Resa! Badly! I hated that I had to hurt you, again. But, I thought ignorance was bliss. That if you didn’t know, you wouldn’t be hurt.”

“That seems to be the common answer. What I find funny, I guess, is that I was fighting this ghost and no one cared. No one seemed to think that would hurt more than finding out.”

Kris ducked her head, not having anything she could possibly say. And if she even told Resa the whole truth, she might as well call their friendship over. She sighed and played with her glass.

“I can’t say anything Resa, other than I’m sorry. I was wrong. We all were.” Resa sighed too and nodded her head.

“It would make a hypocrite if I forgave everyone but my best friend. I only ask, please, don’t hurt me again? I’m not really sure I could take it.” Kris looked up at her and smiled.

“Theresa, you’re my best friend. It would kill me if I hurt you again.”

“At least we are on the same page for that then. So, tell me, is there any other secrets you might want to share so I won’t be surprised or anything?”

Kris ran her fingers over the edge of her glass, picking up the droplets and smiled up at Resa, thinking a half truth was the best route. “You know all my feelings and thoughts.”