- Text Size +
Chapter 5
She closed the magazine as she glanced up at the shadow that fell over her, ready to scream if needs be, but instead smiled.

“Running late this morning?”

“Yeah. I just didn’t feel like rolling out of bed.”

“There a reason why?”

“It just felt good there.” Kris laughed, along with Alex as he took the chair and set it up beside her. “Just felt good laying there. Sorry though, I didn’t think it was that late.”

“No worries, Alex. I only came out here about 15 minutes ago myself. I over slept as well.”

“So, we’re both safe. Good.”

“Where’s D?”

“Ha! Getting his ass out of bed is like moving a damn mountain. Impossible! I called him, told him to come along and he hung up on me! See if I invite him anywhere again!” Kris laughed, and Alex had to admit, that sound was rather soothing as it washed over him. For all her tomboyish ways, Kris was very girlish, even though she never knew it. And that simple charm added to her allure all the more. And just what the hell was he thinking? Those thoughts lead all good boys astray and he knew he didn’t want to be going down that road. “Tell me more about Kris and what she’s been up to?”

“You know, nothing much. Just busy with my shop.”

“Shop?”

“Yeah. I opened a mechanic shop with my brother. We’ve been swamped.”

“Oh, yes, I remember you had a thing for cars, even at a tender age.”

“What can I say?” She shrugged. “Something about them is soothing. Maybe because it’s a good way to vent frustration too.”

“Well, when my car gives me shit, I know where to take it to.” She laughed, and once more, he couldn’t help but think about how it made him feel. And mentally, that really made him cringe.

-----
He heard his cell phone beep, pulled it out to check the caller ID than shoved it back in his pocket, trying to play it off.

“Someone call?”

“No, just checking the time. I didn’t wear my watch today. It’s getting late; wanna grab a bite at the café?”

“That sounds great. I think I’m dark enough for now. Anymore and I’ll be burning.” She smiled, linking her arm through his as they mad their way over to the café. “If you don’t mind, just a club sandwich is fine, and a water?”

“Yeah, no problem.” She smiled her thanks as she walked towards the restroom, quickly replying back to the text message she received earlier.

-----
She crossed her arms, tossing her cell phone back on the couch. Her fiancé wasn’t answering her phone calls, her best friend was ignoring her and her other friend, well, knowing Howie, he was still out cold. Theresa sat down, her arms closing around her stomach, the uneasiness not fading at all. Something was happening, she knew this, she could sense it and she knew no way of stopping it, or even where it was coming from. She heard the ring tone, quickly flipping it open.

“Finally, the zombie awakens here.”

“Ha ha ha, ain’t you funny? What can I do for you?”

“Howie, ya need to get laid if you’re gonna be an ass.”

“Not even funny Resa. I missed your call, what’s up?”

“I can’t get a hold of Alex. Either he’s lost his cell phone again or he’s ignoring me.”

“Maybe he left it in his room?”

“Howie, Alex is connected to that cell phone. It’s his lifeline. That’s why it shocks the hell out of me when he says he loses it. I just wanted to know if he was with you.”

“Nope. Not today. He went out to tan and I wasn’t getting my ass out of bed, so I stayed here.”

“Isn’t it strange he’s alone?” Howie pinched the bridge of his nose. He hated lying, truly hated it and yet, AJ was his best friend and he couldn’t just blurt out the truth. Not like there was really anything going on. And everything that Howie saw last night at the club could simply be his own imagination. But, honestly, could one imagine a sparkle of the eye, a softness of a touch, tenderness in a smile? For he knew he saw those things last night between Kris and AJ. And those weren’t good signs, unless you were in love.