- Text Size +
Chapter 51

AJ glanced at Kris, then at Howie and sighed. They had been worrying, but AJ knew Resa better than that. He knew right where to find her. Although, he didn’t like to think of her being out alone, all night long, in New York. Not the best place for a female.

“You know where she is?” Kris asked as she watched his face. They weren’t heartless; Resa was still their friend and they didn’t want any harm to come to her, no matter what.

“Resa’s at the pier.”

“She wouldn’t have stayed there alone, all night long hon.” AJ bent and gave Kris a soft kiss.

“Yes, she would have. Rebook your flight please?” Kris only looked at Alex, not sure she wanted to be around when the fire works happened. And yes, she knew that was the cowards way out, but she knew Resa would contact her at some point in time too.

“I’ll see what I can do.” AJ nodded, glanced at D and then quickly left, his insides quickly becoming like jelly.


-----
He paused as he watched her, part of him aching for her and the damage he had done. God, he never meant to hurt her, honestly! He loved her, just wasn’t in love with her. He sighed, slowly walking over to her, seeing her eyes closed.

“You remember that time that you stayed and we watched the stars come out and we talked? Do you know that I have never looked at stars quite the same way?”

“I remember. And no, I didn’t know. How did you know it was me?” She finally opened her eyes and turned to look at him.

“My heart always speeds up when you’re around and my stomach flips. It’s really just my love.” She broke his gaze and looked down at her hands.

“Resa, why did you stay here all night? It was dangerous!”

“Do you really care? Does anyone?” She snapped at him and instantly regretted it.

“No matter what you may think Theresa, I do care for you. I still love you, as does Kris. We were both worried.”

“I know, and I’m sorry, that was very wrong of me. Had I even had any notion of the time, I would have gotten a room. But, I just stayed and lost myself in thoughts. To be honest, I hadn’t even registered that the sun had risen.” AJ leaned back against the bench, thinking about that. Resa was always aware of the sunrise, for she had three favorite parts of the day, the sunrise was one of them. And for her not to bask in the sheer beauty of it, could only mean that she really was that deep in thought. Not that it made him feel any better about that.

“Theresa….”

“I’m not sure,” she started, shaking her head as she cut him off, “what you hoped to accomplish by coming out here. Is there really anything left to say between us?”

“There’s a ton! Do you think we meant for that to happen?”

“No, I honestly don’t. But, I have sat here and wondered how long we all would play each other as fools. You knew you weren’t in love with me and yet you still wanted to marry me. Why? Why subject yourself to that kind of torture?”

“Please don’t think that my being with you was ever torture, it wasn’t. As for why, because I did love you, and thought we would have had a good marriage.”

“But not an outstanding one.” AJ had to give her that point. He envied what Bri and LeighAnne had, and had he married Resa, he would have ended up like D and Leigh. What a huge difference that was and what that little “in” word changed.

AJ rubbed his face and stared out over the water. How in the world did things get this screwed up? Although, he knew it was bound to happen, and part of him was happy that it happened now, rather than later. But still, he wished he hadn’t cause so much pain all around.

“I guess there’s really nothing left to say,” AJ muttered, finally looking at her. She smiled softly and shook her head.

“I suppose not.” She glanced down at her hands and fiddled with her ring then finally slipped it off and handed him the diamond. “It’s a beautiful piece, but I highly doubt that she would want it.” AJ watched her then looked at the ring and finally picked it up. He played with it and felt her stand up. “Will you do me a favor?”

“Anything.” After all, he hurt her beyond measure, he would gladly do anything.

“Don’t hurt her. She loves you. In fact, she’s in love with you. As you are in love with her. So, please don’t make me come kick your ass.” AJ smiled and stood up as well, wrapping his arms around her and hugging her tight.

“I promise Theresa. And I’m sorry, for everything.” Resa breathed in his scent one last time and squeezed him in return.

“I called a friend and I’m having my stuff removed. What’s left in the hotel room…” Resa trailed off, cleared her throat and began again. “Better yet, I’ll just arrange it with the hotel. I’ll get them later.” All of that made AJ pause. Where was she gonna stay? And what was she gonna do? It wasn’t so much that she was living off of him, but she had depended upon him. And Resa watched all of that on his face and almost laughed. “Don’t worry about me AJ. I’m a grown woman and know how to take care of myself.”

“I know, but…” She pressed her fingers to his lips and shook her head. She slowly leaned in and gave him a soft kiss, one that was filled with nothing but bitter sweetness.

“Goodbye AJ.” And with those soft spoken words, she left him. He turned and watched her go, a huge part of him feeling relief and yet part of him hurting. But, he knew what he had to do.

He glanced at the ring in his hand than then stuffed it back in his pocket. He had to get back to the hotel to talk to Kris.