- Text Size +
Chapter 9

“And it’s the sexy one?”

“Yes Kris!”

“But which one?” I laughed, about ready to tell her when my phone started to beep.

“Oh, I got my other line going. I’ll call you later girlie. And have fun.”

“You too. And I know who it is! He’s the only sexy one. Kinda tall, short hair, big blue eyes. Later.” With that, Kris hung up her phone, leaving Theresa to stare at hers, but not able to correct that quite yet, for on the other line was Denise.

-----
Howie shook his head as his phone died and left the room, making sure he had his key card before walking down the hallway and pounding on the door, leaning against the doorframe and crossing his arms. He might hit the ignore button on his phone, but he was not about to slam the door in D’s face. He almost smirked as Alex opened the door and sighed, the look of frustration building on his face.

“Come in Howard.” D slammed the door behind him and just about shoved Alex on the couch.

“I am not leaving till you talk to me, damn it! There’s more going on and you are not sharing. How can you call me your friend man, when you can’t confide in me?”

“You wouldn’t understand!”

“Bull shit man! You know that’s not right. So don’t pull that lame ass shit on me!” Alex leaned forward, his arms resting on his knees and his head being held in his hands, knowing he needed to voice his thoughts, just not really knowing if D was the man to tell.

“Every love two women?” D closed his eyes, already hating where this was going.

“Honestly, yes. Well, one wasn’t quite love, more like thinking I was in love. Why?”

“I love Theresa, there’s no doubt in my mind.”

“But?” Howie asked, knowing even more he wasn’t liking where this was going.

“I, uh, kissed Kris. And I tell you, there was something in that kiss.”

“ALEX! You’re engaged man. You keep saying Resa is the one you want. Are you lying to yourself as well as to all of us?”

“No! I’m not. I want Resa. I just…want Kris too.” Alex leaned his head back on the couch, groaning all the more. How the hell could he utter that? It was the truth, he hated to admit it. And now, he was more confused than ever. In two days, Kris had worked her way under his skin once more, like she never left. And, okay fine, she actually hadn’t. You don’t have to talk to be best friends, or to know the other person.

“Are you going to cheat on Resa?” Every fiber, every pore, every cell in Alex’s body screamed at him to say no, but as the moments ticked by and still no answer came, Howie started to slowly shake his head. “Listen carefully to me, Alexander. If you are willing to cheat on your soon to be wife before the marriage even takes place, than that’s a sign. If you have mixed emotions for two females, that’s a sign. Lose one or the other.”

“I can’t!”

“Why? Scared someone will pick them up?”

“Yes! I know that’s hypercritical if you will. I want them both happy…”

“But you want to be the one to make them happy. I see. Well, man, you’re really on your own. I can’t help you make this choice.” Howie walked to the door, opening it and turning back to Alex. “I thought I loved my ex wife. Thought she as the only one I could ever want. The truth of the matter is I wanted someone way before just never voiced it. Look at the mess of my love life.”

“I wouldn’t get a divorce.”

“No, just break your marriage vows time and time again. That’s not any better Alex.” With that, D left, slamming the door again, making his way back to his room, his head pounding, very much wanting to make a phone call.

-----
“Well, hello stranger. I feel like one of the luckiest women alive, getting to talk to you so much here!” He chuckled as he played with the charger’s cord. “So, to what do I owe this pleasure Mr. Dorough?”

“Just wanted to call and see how one of my best friends was?”

“I’m great. Actually, just got done having a lunch date with Denise and going over the wedding details. I can’t believe how quickly time is flying by. Howie,” she paused, knowing him too well and sensing his withdrawal, “what’s wrong?”

“You trust Alex right?”

“Yeah.”

“With everything?” She paused again, really wondering where this was coming from now.

“I’m probably a little more concerned with his drinking habits than anything else. But, I have faith that he wouldn’t hurt me or lie to me. Howie, why?” It was on the tip of his tongue to warn her not to set her heart to high. To be weary and careful, to tell her that Alex could and would cheat. But it wasn’t his place, as much as he hated to say that. He knew both her and Alex to well.

“I just, I’m worried is all. Him so far away from you, having no one to report to and all.”

“He never has reported to me. I help him, like he helps me, but that’s about it. I don’t control his life, I’m not his keeper. That’s not a true, honest, loving relationship.” Howie clenched his teeth, really starting to hate Alex. No way did that two timing ass deserve someone as sweet and pure and caring as Theresa!

-----
He flipped open his phone, starting the text message and closing it before he could send it. He was getting frustrated. He tired calling the house phone and it was busy. Tried calling her cell and she still wasn’t picking that up. So it was either her ignoring him, or his almost wifey was just busy. He wanted to believe she was busy.

He had a little faith that Howie wouldn’t break Theresa’s heart. And yet, he didn’t want to think of the why behind that reasoning. It was almost a little to evident in the way he spoke, in the way Leigh hated Theresa, no matter how hard Theresa tired to be nice.

And that was why he came to the conclusion that the only thing he could do, was try and avoid Kris. Maybe if he didn’t see her, didn’t spend time with her, these…feelings couldn’t develop anymore. They had nothing to grow off of. At least, that was his serve hope because the thought of losing Theresa was not pleasing. Actually, losing either one of them was not pleasing. And there, stood the damn dilemma.