- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It's been a long time coming, and I am deeply sorry. But this story went on a hold for a bit while I gathered up my thoughts..and now...I can see the end in sight! So...it will be getting updated.
Chapter 35

He finally made his way back to the hotel, giving Nick another hug as the blonde hair man turned to go into his room. AJ had wanted to stop Resa from going to talk to Nick, but when he went to their room, he found it empty. He had done a quick search and at least realized that she hadn’t left him. All her stuff was still there. Including her purse, which means she did come back to the room to drop it off.

He had sat down on the bed for a few minutes, trying to think of any places that she would go. The bar was downstairs and that might be a location, but he kinda doubted it since she just came back from one. He finally got up and made his way downstairs, aimlessly wandering around, trying to figure out where she was. He had turned the corner almost knocked her down.

“Hey there, kinda in a hurry aren’t you AJ?” He smiled a bit and nodded.

“I was. I was on my way to find you.” Her lovely brows crinkled and he couldn’t stop the smile from growing. She was so beautiful and it amazed him just how many times she would deny that.

“To find me? Why?”

“Because, I wanted to talk to you.” Her eyes flew to the floor and at once, his heart squeezed. He knew her look of defeat, her look of hurt and anger. And this was all of it rolled into one. Her gaze would be on the floor, her shoulders would drop, and her whole demeanor would change, just like it did.

“Talk about what, exactly?”

“Talk about the fact that you have a stupid asshole for a boyfriend, for a fiancé. And I think you deserve better than that.” She swallowed hard and started fiddling with her hands. He shook his head and quickly grabbed them within his. “I’m talking about me. You deserve better from me. I love you Theresa, and when I asked you to marry me, I meant it. I want you to be my wife; I want to have our lives ahead of us. I want us to have kids and grand kids and God help us, great grand kids. The way I have acted has been inexcusable but I will try and make it up to you. Kris is my best friend, will always be, but she’s not the one I want as my wife. Ever!” Resa looked up, her eyes looking deep within his and she slowly started to smile.

“You mean that AJ? That you want me and no one else?”

“Kris is beautiful and yes, we might have a past, but Nick was talking about how good you looked tonight and I wanted to beat him into a bloody pulp. I seem to have a serious problem with men wanting my fiancé.” She giggled and her hands went to my stomach, resting them there.

“You are right, I do deserve better. Just like I deserve the truth.” Once more, her eyes caught his, but he just didn’t have to heart to hurt her with the truth. Those words would kill her and that, that was something he couldn’t, wouldn’t do. If God allowed it, he would take that truth with him to the grave. And he was praying all the more that his friends kept their mouths shut too.

“You have it baby. I have told you everything.” She gritted her teeth for a moment before sliding her hands up his chest and around his neck, resting her head against his chest. Crap, maybe taking it to the grave was an option he didn’t have. She wasn’t buying that story. And in all honesty here, he knew she wasn’t dumb. That by his actions and deeds, and his very words, she was going to start putting two and two together. Actually, kinda surprising that she hadn’t started doing that. Than again, just because she didn’t voice it, didn’t mean she didn’t suspect, or think about it.

He sighed, wrapped his arms around her, kissed the top of her head and than rested his head on hers, slowly swaying. She fit so right against him, just like he was made for her and she was made for him. Maybe they were soul mates, like he wanted to believe. His eyes looked around and landed on Kris who had stopped. He swallowed hard, let go of Resa and stepped back.

“What is it AJ?”

“Nothing honey. I just think we should up to the room is all.” He gave Kris one last look before glancing down at Resa and smiled at her. She smiled back, keeping her arm around his waist and walked over to the elevators.

-----
Kris let out a breath and sagged against the wall, her eyes closing.

“Not an easy scene to digest huh?” Kris mentally sighed than opened her eyes to smile at Howie.

“In particular, no. But how can I be upset when I have this gorgeous creature before me?” Howie chuckled and held his hand out to her.

“How about we go up to my room and just talk? Maybe get to know each other a bit more?”

“I like that Howie, a lot.” She took his hand and started towards the other elevator. He held it open for her as she stepped in and stepped out. She turned to the right, almost knocking into the other couple.

“Hey guys.” Kris smiled at Resa and than at AJ.

“Hey Resa. Hey Alex. Howie and I were going to go to his room and talk, so don’t worry about me. If I get sleepy, I’ll just crash on his couch or something.”

“Well, Howie wouldn’t allow that, but I understand.” Resa gave Kris a quick hug than watched the couple as they walked away, seeing a glint in Howie’s eyes that had never been there before, and unable to squash the disappointment that it wasn’t her that had put it there. Wait, what, no, she wasn’t thinking that. Not possible…NOT POSSIBLE! Yet, as she watched the retreating back, she knew the truth for what it was and sighed, thinking she really could just be the biggest fool all around.