- Text Size +
AJ’s POV

I couldn’t keep the tears from falling, the things she told me was breaking my heart. I was so wrong for blaming her without even asking what really happened.

“A penny for your thoughts?”

I was surprised to see Nick standing in front of me. I didn’t hear the door opened.

“Don’t even try, you would have to pay a LOT.”
I sighed and went to the other side of the kitchen and opened the fridge. “Would you like to have something?”

I checked the stocks in the fridge and was surprised to hear Nick laughing. I threw him a questioning look.

“I never thought I’d hear that from you.” He laughed so hard again “So what are you now? A house husband?”

Nick laughed again, this time I laughed with him too. I took a bottle of orange juice from the fridge and served it to Nick. I sat at the kitchen counter again.

“I don’t think that would happen, well not anytime sooner.”

“Something happened?”

Nick was serious this time, he opened the bottle and drank some. I told him everything that Rachel said before she left. I told him the pain I felt inside and what I thought Rachel was going through.

“Then give her the space she wanted, you have waited for four years I know you can still wait a few years more. You can’t hurry things now, as you’ve said things are complicated now.”

I couldn’t help but agree, sometimes I wonder how immature Nick can say the right things at the right time. My lips formed a half smile at that thought.

“A part of me wants to believe her that yes it was all her fault, if only she trusted me enough this things will never happened. It could have saved us four years of misery. Then a part of me wants to believe it wasn’t her fault, she was only a victim of Heather. I don’t know what to think Nicky, all I know is we are both hurting because of this.” I paused for a moment “Did you know that there was a text message that apparently was from me?”

“Did I not tell you about that?” Nick scratched his head when I shook my head “How the hell did I missed that one? But I don’t believe it was from you, it might be from Heather. You always leave your phone in your bag. Brian always tell you to just leave your stuff with Leighanne, Leigh or Lauren.”

“I’d keep that in mind now.”

“UNCLE NICKY!”

“I guess you need to go now, that boy has been waiting for you since he woke up.”

I laughed when I remembered how excited Alexis was for this day.

“You don’t want to join us, it’ll be fun”

“Nah! I’ll just fix our lunch.” Nick burst out laughing again “Hey! You better stop laughing.”

“Ok!” Nick held up his hands

“Hey do you think it’s ok if I bring Rachel lunch?”

“There’s no problem with that, but she’s not in her office. She has a meeting with a client in the next town, that’s why she used her car.” Nick turned around after making a few steps “But I can call Brian and tell him to come over because you’re cooking lunch, I bet he wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

Nick laughed again then ran away when I took the bottle of orange juice from the kitchen counter and pretended I’d throw it at him.