- Text Size +
"Cayla?" I cringed as my voice echoed throughout the empty bedroom. Rolling from my stomach to my back, it was more of a nuisance to have to shield my eyes from the rays of sun streaming in through the slits of the window blinds. Morning had approached far too fast for my liking, and even faster approaching was my departure that day...something I wasn't too pleased to be looking forward to. I wasn't looking forward to it at all because it meant leaving something I had grown comfortable with and just the thought left an ache of emptiness nagging in the pit of my stomach. Grimacing at the sensation, I rolled out of bed and pulled on a pair of pajama pants. Shuffling out of the room, I stumbled down the stairs, rubbing my eyes as more light nearly blinded me. The house was quiet and I became a little uneasy. Where the Hell was she? Marcus, when not touring, slept as late as he could, not to mention like a damn log. I wasn't too concerned about him.

"Cays? Where are you, Baby?"

"Nice of you to finally join the land of the living again," I heard her mumble when I wandered into the kitchen with the scent of a deep java aroma leading my nostrils. I should have automatically assumed she would be in the kitchen burying herself in the task of whipping up a far too extravagent breakfast for the three of us to enjoy. But, hey, I've never claimed to be the clearest thinker in the morning, and unfortunately my mind was clouded with far more pressing thoughts.

"You know I'm not an early riser."

"It's becoming more apparent," she replied, a cup of coffee for me ready in her hand as she turned away from the pancakes that were sizzling on the griddle. First pressing a kiss to her cheek and then her lips, I grasped the ceramic mug and took a long sip. God, she even knew how much cream and sugar to put in. "Good morning."

"Mornin'," I offered a small smile, kissing her once more as the caffeine began to wake me up.

"Y'know, if you're that tired still, you could go back to bed for another hour or so," she suggested, but she gradually smirked as she stood there examining what I could only guess was my haggard appearance. "I mean, you did say I wore you out last night."

"You make it sound like I can't handle you-"

"Never," she cooed, though damn the smirk stayed on her face as she ran her fingers through my messy hair. "But breakfast won't be ready until then, so if you did want to go back to bed, you could."

"And miss out on the opportunity to spend every moment I can with you before I have to leave?" I disregarded her suggestion with a light shaking of my head and claimed her lips once more before bringing the coffee mug up to my lips for another long delectable sip.

"You can be too sweet sometimes," the smirk broke and true smile graced her beautiful face, which quickly fell as she realized that our time was growing short. "Do you really have to leave?"

"Can you really not join me?" I questioned in return, though at the way she frowned immediately, I bit back a sharp breath. "I'm sorry, Cays-"

"You know why I can't, Alex. I would lose my job if I asked for so much time off and I can't afford that. I've been independant for so long. I wish you could understand and respect that."

"I do, Cays. I do."

"If I could drop everything and join you, you know I would."

She could if she absolutely wanted to, but she wasn't willing to do so and she'd made that plenty clear on more than several occasions. Didn't mean I was entirely pleased with her way of thinking when it came to such matters, and maybe it was more of a matter of me being selfish because I had every damn right to be selfish, but I had to force myself to at least attempt to respect her decision. After all, as much as I wanted to argue otherwise, I didn't have nearly as much say in our newly forming relationship when it came to her as I would like to think. "Good coffee," I grinned, stepping around her to quickly move over to the brewing pot for another mug full before the silence could become to overwhelming.

"Thanks. Picked it up at Caribou earlier this morning," Cayla turned her attention back to the pancakes, quickly flipping them to show off the golden brown undersides. I had to smile when I saw they were chocolate chip pancakes. My favorite. Another pan was slowly frying hashbrowns and in another, thick slices of bacon were being cooked to the chewiness both she and I preferred.

"You sure know the way to please my stomach-"

"I would hope more that I can please more than just your stomach," she looked at me over her shoulder with a smile that was a mix between bashful, devious and downright sexy.

"You would even doubt that?" I snorted at her.

"No, your reaction was enough," she pucked her lips and once she got her kiss, she turned around to pay attention to the food.

"I would think this past week would be enough to know," I ventured, wrapping my arms around her from behind. My fingers dipped under her camisole, barely grazing over her smooth skin.

"This past week has been more than enough to know," she murmured as she leaned her weight back against my chest with a soft sigh.

"Figured as much," I chuckled, nuzzling the crook of her neck as my hands massaged her sides. The smells of breakfast grew stronger and my stomach growled with anticipation.

"Amazing how quickly time passes..." Cayla murmured and I could sense the sullen tone in her voice.

"True, but it can pass just as quickly until we can see each other again," I compromised and pressed a kiss against the back of her head. She leaned forward slightly to put the pancakes on a platter and flip the hashbrowns and bacon slices.

"I'm sure it can..."

"Cays..."

"No, you're right," she sighed heavily, quickly running a hand over her eyes. "It can pass quickly."

"What's on your mind right now, Love?" I questioned as I turned her to face. Even as I did so, she avoided my stare and I had to cup her chin just to get her attention fixated on me instead of elsewhere.

"It's not a big deal."

"If it's not, you should be able to tell me."

"Alex..."

"Just talk to me."

"I-I imagine you performing for all these women who throw themselves at you. I won't be there, and... it's not that I don't trust you..."

"You can't hold that over my head, Cayla-"

"I'm not! See, this is why I didn't want to tell you-"

"Whoa, whoa, stop," I quieted her when she yanked away from me. I could feel my forehead creasing as she visibly tensed in front of me. "Cays-"

"I'm not trying to hold ANYTHING over your head!" She turned and almost threw the rest of the food onto their respective plates. "And I'm fucking human, I can't help but feel jealous-"

"I've already given you a solution to that and you keep turning it down!"

"I don't want to lose my job!"

"Why can't I take care of you? I know what that place does to you and it kills me to see that in your eyes when you come home."

"I do just fine taking care of myself, Alex," Cayla hissed before she roughly brushed past me to make her way to the refrigerator. "How many times do I have to tell you this? I've had to learn to rely on myself and myself only for a long time now and I am comfortable with that!"

"How are we supposed to take this relationship anywhere if you won't even rely on me for any kind of support?"

"I can accept support, but when it comes to money, I don't want yours. I refuse to be seen as a gold-digging, money hungry whore by the damn press-"

"That's ridiculous-"

"Really? I've seen what's been said about Leighanne, Kristin and Leigh. I understand that I have to share you with the press. But I don't want to taint your image because of misconceptions," she yanked out a bowl of fruit, slamming it onto the table with a loud thud.

"What the Hell has gotten into you this morning?" I released a hard sigh, dodging out of her way as she crossed my path once again. "You weren't like this last night, or Hell, for the time I've been here. What has changed between us going to sleep and us waking up?"

"Nothing. Just forget I said anything. I don't have any insecurities, I'm not jealous, I can't go with you to finish the tour, I can't do any of that. Alright? Everything is fucking peachy," she stood with her back to me, buttering pieces of toast that had popped up. After a few moments of silence, I could hear her sniffling.

"What are you wanting me to tell you right now, Cayla?"

"Nothing. Breakfast is almost ready."

"Bullshit-"

"I said nothing!" she turned around and I could see the tears streaking down her cheeks as she hurriedly brushed them away, though more continued to fall. "Breakfast is almost ready."

"And now you're repeating yourself."

"Alex, I'm not in the mood."

"That's apparent. What's going on with you?"

"Do you not know how to let things go?"

"Not when I know something's wrong."

"NOTHING is wrong."

"Can't you just admit it?"

"Admit what?!"

"Whatever's bothering you."

"Not a fucking thing that you'll be able to do a thing about, so leave it be and let me get back to making your breakfast!"

"If I let you finish when you're this upset, you'll break a plate and accidentally hurt yourself and I don't want that to happen. Just sit down and take a breath, Baby!"

"What the Hell do you care?"

"Okay, now what does that mean?!"

"Nevermind-"

"No, no, no," I grasped her arms and lightly pressed her against the wall. "How could you even say that? What is wrong with you?!"

"Get your hands off me!" Cayla yelped, her body tensing immensely and her eyes narrowing into dangerous slits.

"Cays-"

"Let me go!"

"Why the Hell do you think I'm going to hurt you?"

"Because you are hurting me right now!"

"I'm barely holding you! I just want to know what's wrong!"

"Alex, please. Let me go!" she pleaded, tears in her eyes.

Abruptly releasing her, I watched as she sagged against the wall, burying her face into her hands to shield her sudden on set of tears. I wanted to approach her, but I was afraid that even the smallest movement would cause her to strike out at me and considering that she seemed to be quivering at what just transpired, whatever the Hell it was all about, I figured it best to stay in place. "Cayla, why can't you even look at me right now?" I found myself nearly whispering in her direction.

"I'm scared."

"Of what?"

"I'm scared that I'll just refuse to let you go. And I don't want to let you go. I want to be selfish and keep you here all to myself!" she hiccuped between sobs.

"That's really what this is about? This attitude?"

"Call me immature, I don't give a shit. I haven't had a relationship like this-"

"Babe, I know-"

"It's just hard for me and being angry seemed like the best way but right now I just want to fucking cry."

"Then cry, Cayla. Lay it all out on the table and tell me how you really feel. Because I'll be damned if I leave today knowing there's some shit you never got off your chest."

"I'm going to fucking miss you. It hurts to know that you're not going to be next to me in bed every night and be here when I come home from work. I've been so used to seeing you... now I have to go back to only hearing you on the phone or on YouTube videos," her crying calmed down and she tried to wipe all the tears away, finally looking up at me. "I love you so much. It's scary. You may think it'd be easy for me to say fuck it all and leave with you, but with how I have lived... it's not and sometimes I feel like you don't respect that at all."

"How do I not respect that?"

"You keep telling me that I can just leave all this. But I can't. I can't and as much that's hard to hear, I can't. I want to. But-"

"You can't."

"Right. My emotions are just so fucked up right now. You always leave me spinning."

"That's making me feel like a bit of a douche, y'know?"

"You're not a douche, Alex... I don't fall in love with douche's anymore."

"You mean you used to?"

"That was a long time ago."

"...Cayla."

"It's the past, Alex. I just get a little jumpy, especially when you push me against the wall when we're fighting. That's all."

"I didn't mean-"

"I'm not making a lot of sense, am I?"

"It's not that, Cays."

"I'm sorry. I don't want to ruin your last day here."

"You're only going to ruin my last day if you have me thinking I have managed to get you so upset."

"You didn't. I promise," she offered a small smile and ran her fingers through my hair.

"Because, Cays, I really don't want it to be this way-"

"Our day has just begun, Alex. Please... let's just enjoy our breakfast and go from there. Okay?"

"If it makes you happy-""

"YOU make me happy," she pressed a soft kiss to my lips. "C'mon, let's eat."

"You always make too much for Marcus and I."

"I can't have you leaving here looking like I starved you the entire time," she smirked.

"Well, you certainly didn't starve me when it came to the bedroom," I returned with my own smirk, firmly slapping her behind.

"I was talking food."

"I know."

"You're such a nympho."

"Like you're any better, Cayla Rose."

"I have a certain someone to thank for that, though-"

"Hey, I'm not complaining," I suddenly laughed.

"I didn't think so," she replied, rolling her eyes as she placed our plates on the table and sat down.

"I never expected you to do anything you didn't want to do," I assured her, carefully keeping my eyes trained on her as I slowly lowered myself into the chair beside her.

"I don't," she kissed the side of my neck before buttering her pancakes and pouring a generous amount of syrup over them. "I trust you."

"I would hope so..." I murmured, accepting the bottle of syrup with an honest smile.

"I do," she massaged the back of my neck for a moment as we ate and a sigh escaped my lips.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm going to miss your cooking."

"I hoping you aren't expecting me to fed-ex you a weekly package..." She trailed.

"Well..."

"Alex!" she laughed. "The food would go bad before you receive it."

"That's what over-nighting is for!"

"I am not going to send you food! You'll just have to suffer until this leg of the tour is over."

"But-"

"No."

"Baby!"

"No."

"Where's the love-"

"You have enough love. I'm not going to spoil you-"

"Honey, he's already spoiled," Marcus grumbled as he shuffled into the kitchen.

"How can one not spoil me?" I snorted over my shoulder.

"I sure don't. My job is bodyguard, not momma or nanny or any shit like that."

"Morning, Marcus," Cayla merely smiled.

"Morning sweet cheeks," Marcus answered, gently patting Cayla's shoulder before moving to grab a plate of his own.

"You sure do have him wrapped around your finger."

"As I do with you."

"You do not-"

"Yes she does."

"No one asked you-"

"Baby, don't argue. Please? I want us to have a good last day together and if you keep bickering I'm going to do it by myself!"

I halfway glared at her. "But you both insist on ganging up on me."

"Maybe now you know how Kevin felt all these years," she suggested, leaning forward to press a kiss against my neck. Damnit.

"Kevin deserved every second of it," I insisted, twisting my neck to quickly plant my lips against hers and grinning when she fell silent. Victory.

"You two already act like a married couple. It's almost cute," Marcus settled at the table with his own plate and cup of coffee.

I turned to him. "Are you still speaking?"

"Alexander James McLean!"

"What?!"

"Don't talk to him like that."

"Like what?"

"Like he's hired help."

"Well we DID hire-"

"You're an ass, McLean," Marcus snorted.

"You're impossible sometimes," Cayla reached to smack me upside the head and I ducked. Instinct, I tell you!

"But you love me and I'm learning that I can use that to my advantage," I answered her with a simple shrug of nonchalance.

"That isn't something you really want to admit, Alex," she shook her head, but a smile was creeping onto that gorgeous face of hers. "Now please finish your breakfast, we only have a few hours before I need to drive you to the airport..."

"And what exactly are the plans during those few hours?"

"If it has anything to do with noises I heard all damn night... please spare me the details," Marcus groaned, shoveling some pancake into his mouth.

"Don't worry, Marcus. It's not that."

"It's not?"

"Good Lord, Alex, even I need a break sometimes," she laughed.

"Well, what are we going to do, then?"

"Y'know..." Marcus mused. "If you need a break from that thing sitting next to you, I could help you lock him in the closet and take you away for a few hours."

"That's sweet," Cayla replied while I snorted.

"How is that sweet? You want me locked up in a closet while you galavant around town with my bodyguard?"

"It gives me a break from the bedroom-"

"Now you're just being a brat."

"Oh, am I?"

"Don't challenge me, woman."

"How about you hush and finish your breakfast," she leaned over and grasped the back of my neck before bringing our lips together for a deep kiss.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"At least it's a nice day for you to fly back," Cayla replied as we walked towards the doors of the Minneapolis airport with Marcus right behind us, his duffel bag slung over his shoulder while keeping an eye out for any potential mobs. Remarkably, for my entire vacation, I was rarely spotted by the press and I made sure to keep Cayla out of the spotlight. It seemed to make her nervous and I didn't blame her. I would rather slowly introduce her to it all instead of thrusting her right into it.

"Makes flying a little bit easier to deal with," I muttered in return with a subtle nod. "However... flying may never be easy for me."

"It's not for everyone." Glancing over, I could see she was biting hard on her bottom lip. I knew she was trying to stay calm and I immediately threaded her fingers through mine, giving them a squeeze.

"Stop looking like that," I continued, nudging her shoulder. "Or you'll make me upset."

"I'm sorry," she whispered, giving me a small smile. "I just hate good-byes."

"This isn't good-bye. It's more of a... see you later."

"You're not helping..."

"Baby, you know I have to leave."

"I know. But it doesn't mean I have to like it."

"Of course it doesn't," I consented as we wove through the crowds. I didn't like it any more than she did. "But like you said, there's email, texting, phone calls... shit, I'll even get my Twitter and Facebook going if you want me to."

"And let the fans eat you alive in Twitter land?" she suddenly laughed.

"See what I dedicated boyfriend I am?" I grinned, pressing a kiss to the side of her face. "I would do that for you."

"Not if I don't let you-"

"Please don't tell me you're arguing over whether he should start Twittering again," Marcus groaned with a roll of his eyes.

"We're that high school couple that annoys everyone," I chirped.

"You've been annoying me since the moment I met you," he snorted.

"I'm going to miss the banter..."

"Are you crazy, Honey?" Marcus asked in disbelief.

"I've wondered at times," Cayla answered with a soft laugh.

"There's nothing wrong with you," I chided, shifting the weight of my duffel bag.

"I'm glad you think so-"

"Cayla."

"What?"

"Give a bit more space, would ya?" I glanced back over my shoulder towards my bodyguard.

"Wait until we're back on the bus," Marcus muttered, but slowed his pace nonetheless and soon was out of earshot. I would worry about him later. Right now, I needed to speak frankly with my girlfriend. God, saying that shit makes me smile. My girlfriend.

"You're so mean to him-"

"It's just how we are, it's nothing personal," I reassured her, pulling her close to my side. "Why do you think there's something wrong with you?"

"Don't get all hung up on that, Alex," Cayla rolled her eyes as she attempted a reassuring smile. "It was merely a joke-"

"Please don't lie to me."

"It's not a big deal-"

"Cayla. Please."

"Seriously, it's not a big deal. I have shitty self-esteem," Cayla gave a shrug.

"Yes, we've been through this before, but-"

"But what? You can't snap your fingers and make me feel better about myself."

"You need to start believing me when I compliment you, though."

"And that's going to take some getting used to."

"You'll try to get used to it?"

"That's all I can do, Alex. Just be patient with me."

"I never said I wouldn't be, Cays."

"I know," she pressed a kiss against my knuckles and I couldn't help but smile. "You'll call when you're back in LA?"

"I will call as soon as the plane touches ground."

"And they still don't know when exactly the tour is going to end?"

"When do they know?" I shook my head slightly in disgust. As much as myself and the guys were annoyed with our label and management... contracts had been signed and we were stuck with them for the time being.

"Well... my review is soon... if I get promoted, there'll be paid vacation and I can try to come see you," Cayla replied, and I was taken aback by her declaration.

"A review? Were you going to tell me about this?"

"Surprise?"

"When is this supposed to happen? That way I can start making arrangments-"

"Alex-"

"It can be a place you haven't been before. I could show you sights-"

"Alex-"

"We'd have our own hotel room. Nick wouldn't bother you, I swear-"

"Alex!"

"What?"

"I don't even know if I'm going to get this promotion. It's just an idea."

"An idea you didn't care to mention until now-"

"I didn't see the point in mentioning it when I don't even know if anything is going to come out of it."

"Cayla," I sighed through clenched teeth. Saying I was a tad annoyed... would be about right. "You'll let me know if it happens?"

"If it happens."

"Alright," I replied with a nod.

"Sorry lovebirds, but we've reached the point of no return," Marcus interrupted.

Stopping abruptly when Marcus closed the distance between us without hesitation, I took a moment to look up and notice that we had come up the security gates that would be the final barrier to cause the separation between myself and Cayla. I frowned. "One minute, Marcus?"

"Since you asked nicely," he replied, bringing Cayla into his arms for a brief hug and pressing a kiss to the top of her head. "Thank you for being such a great hostess. I'll miss your cooking."

"Such a big softie," she teased, going up on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek. "You'll watch Alex for me?"

"I'm kind of stuck with him," he joked. "But I will, especially for you. Goodbye, Hon."

"Bye, Marcus," she waved as he walked towards the security line.

"One minute, Alexander! No extensions!" Marcus called back over his shoulder.

"One minute, Alexander," I mimicked under my breath, turning my gaze back to Cayla. I really didn't want to leave her and just a minute to say goodbye would be damn near impossible.

"You're not going to want to keep him waiting," she murmured.

"Who says I don't-"

"Alex, I know you have worked together for a long time... but cut him some slack. The last time I checked, he volunteered to come and look after you. If he wasn't here, Lord knows what could have happened-"

"I only have a minute and she's lecturing me about Marcus," I interrupted, hoping to sound playful.

"I'm trying to save you from the headache you insist on giving yourself," Cayla glared in return.

"Makes life interesting-"

"How about you just let our relationship keep your life interesting."

"Our relationship..." I trailed off, smiling and abruptly changing the subject. "I like the sound of that."

"I'm going to miss you!" Cayla suddenly threw her arms around me in a sloppy manner.

"Oh, Baby. I'm going to miss you, too," I sighed, wrapping my arms around her in return and burying my face in the crook of her neck. I could smell her body spray and kept it in my mind. "It won't be long until the tour's over and we'll have a nice break."

"I know, but-" she sputtered and pulling away from me, Cayla foolishly wiped at her eyes.

"It's not going to be easy," I added, cupping her cheek to rid the tears falling. "But we love each other. It'll be okay."

"I know, I know," Cayla repeated, assuring which one of us, I wasn't certain. But when she held my gaze for more than one second, I recognized the unsure gleam reflecting in her eyes.

"Cays. I promise."

"I know, Alex."

"As soon as I'm done touring, I'll be coming right back here to stay until we have to record the new album. Okay?"

"The guys won't like that..."

"They adore you, Cays. You've all become really close. Especially you and Howie," I smiled, poking her side. "Do Leigh and I have to worry about you two hooking up?"

"Hardly," she rolled her eyes.

"If I was him, I would-"

"Alex, he's like my brother," she actually laughed, pushing on my shoulder. "That would be just weird, and... no."

"Alexander!"

"Fod God's sake, Marcus. One more minute. Please!" I looked over at Marcus with a pleading look.

"...Fine. But we really need to get going after that."

"See? He's not so bad afterall," Cayla encouraged.

"I know. I've always known, but it's more fun to give him Hell most of the time," I admitted, causing her to laugh again as I brought her back into my arms. "I'll call you the minute we land, Sweetheart."

"I'll be waiting," she smiled in return.

"You'll let me know if you get your promotion?"

"As soon as it happens. If it happens."

"You're too good of a worker not to get it," I praised her, kissing her softly. Knowing this would be the last time we would kiss for... I didn't even want to think how long as I brought our lips together again. But this time, I made sure to give her a kiss that would leave her breathless. Just so I can dim a little bit of the unsure I saw in her eyes.

"Go, before Marcus suffers a heart attack," Cayla chided and removed herself from my tight embrace.

"I love you, Cayla. Don't forget that," I told her as I started to inch away.

"I love you, too, Alex. Please be careful. I don't want to turn on the television and see that your foot was run over by a van-"

"One time and I'm haunted for life!" I huffed, but had to smile when she laughed. "I'll be careful. See you later, Baby."

"Bye..." she whsipered.

"I love you," I said one last time, actually blowing her a kiss before turning around to find Marcus. A lump swelled in my throat. I hate good-byes.

If you can manage to hold back the water works a little longer, I'm sure there will be a gift shop on the way to our gate and I will glady buy you a box of tissues," Marcus snorted once I finally joined him on the other side of the security. It was all I could do to glare at him. "Don't look at me like that McLean. I'm sure you'll find a way in no time to have her with you again. Stop looking like your pet goldfish just died."

"You know, I had been thinking about giving you some slack when it comes to us bickering," I muttered as I grasped a plastic bin, took off my shoes and placed them inside. "But you just blew that shit out of the water."

"And you're practically blubbering already like a pms'ing chick."

"You can be such an asshole."

"I've worked with the best for fifteen years."