- Text Size +
Nick was fighting the girls off left and right. The ones that thought he was too young for the old bitch and Shelly was fighting the animosity she was getting from the crowds. They knew it wasn't going to be easy but in the end, they knew they had each other at the end of the day. To fend off the scorned fans, Shelly always left just as the boys went on stage. Better she get out of there before it turned into a mass riot. Nick needed his fans and she didn't want to get in the way. But this night was different. She watched as Nick talked to his ex. She should have been jealous right? You would think so but that wasn't the case. She knew where Nick's heart was and she knew that Lauren would always have a place there. She wasn't going to be one of those jealous girlfrineds that couldn't let go.
"They look good together don't they?" Howie commented as he approached Shelly that evening before her set.
Shelly turned to him." They look like old friends catching up."
He shrugged. "If you think so."
"Look Dorough. I know you don't like me dating Nick and you're entitled to your opinion but if you think bringing her here tonight is gonna split us up, you're dead wrong."
"I just think you're playing with fire."
"Then let us be the ones to burn. I know you care about him. So do I. I think it's great that he still gets along with her but don't think for a minute you've won because I'm not going anywhere."
"Shel!" Nick's voice carried across the room.
She looked over and he motioned her to join them."Anything else?" She looked at Howie.
"No." She may have won this time.
Shelly left Howie and joined Nick. He slid his arm around her waist and introduced her."Lauren I'd like you to meet Shelly, my girlfriend. Shelly, this is Lauren."
What should have been an awkward moment between the old and the new wasn't."Nice to meet you,"Shelly offered up first.
"Same here. No wonder Nick wants to keep you all to himself," Lauren returned.
A compliment. Wow! Shelly blushed.
"Shel's good at that," Nick teased; noticing her obvious embarrassment.
"Nick!"Shelly protested as she lightly smacked his chest.
"You know that's one of the many things I love about you."
"I know but...I gotta go. I'm on before these guys so I need to get ready."
"Can't wait to see it," Lauren said.
"Love you babe." Reaching up and pecking him on the lips before leaving them alone.
"Please tell me it's not just about sex Nick." Lauren managed to turn his attention back to her as he was watching Shelly walk away.
"You think that I'm that shallow Lauren?"
"She's an older woman."
"With a lot less experience than a lot of women her age."
"You're kidding right?"
"I wish I was. She knows what she wants but she's afraid to go after it a lot of times."
"Then how'd she get this far?"
"I don't know. I just know that I love her and the way she looks at the world."
"Because she sees it at your level maybe?"
"Meaning?"
"Meaning she doesn't want to let go of her childhood."
"Now I remember why we split up."
"Nick, I'm just trying to be a friend."
"No, you're trying to talk for Howie." Noticing the very fixed paired of eyes on them."You'll excuse me."
His determined stride left no doubt in Howie's mind he was pissed." I know you think I'm trying to interfere Nick but-
"Really? I think you are. I know you don't like Shelly and I don't know why but I'll be damned if you think this little scheme of yours worked,"he interrupted as he approached.
"She's playing you with this innocent act is what I'm worried about Nick."
"Because you think so?!"
"She's played you from the day she met you Nick."
"Just because your marriage is falling apart doesn't give you the right to take the rest of us down with you."
His jaw dropped.
"Yeah. We all know. So give up on this fuckin little vendetta of yours and try putting your relationship back together and fucking forget about mine."
Looking back over the direction she had been, he returned to Lauren."I want you out of here before the show is over."
"I don't have to go anywhere. I'm a guest,"Lauren said.
"No wonder his marriage is falling apart."
"What are you talking about?"
"I know about you and Howie."
"Oh. Then I think you need to watch the current flame too Nick."
"Why?"
" Does he hate her?"
"Yeah.....Oh."