- Text Size +
“Aaron, Daddy’s on the phone.” Sarah called out to Aaron. Aaron was now 2 years old, almost turning 3. The three of them saw each other daily or spoke to each other, via the internet or through the phone. Aaron always knew who his Dad was.

The only reason why Sarah and Aaron weren’t with Nick as a family was because just after Sarah turned 21, she was in a car accident and was charged and convicted for driving recklessly under the influence of alcohol. She had served her time but because she was wanting to get a visa for the United States, either for holiday or permanent, she was denied and was excluded for 3 years from the date of application from entering the United States of America. Sarah was able to apply again just after Aaron turned 3 years old, 4 months away.

Nick had only been able to see them physically once in all that time, when Backstreet Boys toured on the Unbreakable tour. To make sure Sarah and Aaron weren’t seen, they were picked up in a unmarked police car and taken to the hotel in the early hours of the morning to the hotel where they would be staying. The remaining members had commitments after each show in each city. Nick would not be at them. Publicist saying that he needed to be rested as he was feeling unwell. Sarah and Aaron would be leaving at different times to Nick including flights. No one was the wiser.

“Hi Daddy.” Aaron said into the phone. Sarah was preparing Aaron’s dinner while Nick was on the phone to Aaron. Nick and Aaron bonded so well considering the circumstances. Seeing Aaron smile, his face light up when Nick was mentioned, talking about Nick, Sarah saw a lot of Nick in him. Nick’s siblings knew as well.

“How my boy doing?” Nick asked him, Nick in Los Angeles in the studio while the band was taking a break and wanted to make phone calls.
“Good. What ya doin?” Aaron asked.
“I’m on a break from working at the moment. I’m working with Rok, D and Bone.” Nick said. Aaron couldn’t quite get out the other bands names. He called Brian OK “OCK”, Howie just D and AJ McLean Bone.
“You singing Daddy?” Aaron asked.
“That’s right champ. Daddy’s singing. What you been doing?” Nick replied leaning back on his chair looking out into the Los Angeles sky line wishing he could be with Sarah and Aaron.
“You singing now. Mummy has you singing now.” Aaron told him.
“Hey champ, its MOMMY not MUMMY.” Nick laughed trying to teach Aaron the difference.
“No, here in Australia is Mummy. He ain’t American quite yet.” Sarah spoke up listening on the speaker phone. Nick could hear the song ‘Love Will Keep You Up All Night’ playing on in the background. He definitely was awake at 3am, no matter where he was in the world.
“When you coming here Daddy?” Aaron asked him.
“Soon champ. I mean it. Why Daddy, Uncle Brian, Uncle Howie and Uncle AJ are working so late. You know, the stars are shining outside where I am.” Nick replied.
“Sun’s awake here. Maybe sun should wake the sky there.” Aaron said, Nick chuckling.
“I think so.” Nick laughed.

“Aaron, here is your dinner sweetheart. Go sit down in front of the TV sweety. Mummy wants to talk to Daddy.” Sarah said emphasising the word Mummy.
“Bye Daddy, love you.” Aaron told Nick before blowing kisses through the phone. This cut Nick up so much. Whenever Aaron blew kisses to Nick, whether on the phone or seeing it through the camera on the computer, Nick would be almost crying.

“You alright?’ Sarah asked Nick turning the speaker off, phone to one ear while she was preparing her dinner, Aaron grabbing his bowl and taking it to the couch.
“You know you don’t have to ask me that. You know what the answer is. These next few months are cutting me up something bad.” Nick replied getting off the chair, walking over to the drum kit, running his fingers around it, looking outside the nightlife in Los Angeles. He didn’t feel he was missing out on it.
“What did you mean about you coming out here soon?” Sarah asked knowing to change subject.
“We have some time off in a few months and was wondering if you and Aaron want to spend it with me? I have seen this place in Queensland just off the mainland, no technology, only the basic phone equipment for the few hotel offices on the island. Totally deserted, no one on the island only the hotel staff. There is a no fly zone so no press or anyone can see.” Nick informed her.
“Are you serious? How do you know all this?” Sarah asked excitedly.
“I been doing my research. I wanted to spend a week with you two somewhere in Australia for Aaron’s birthday and wanted to do it different.” Nick replied.
“Wait up, Aaron’s birthday?” Sarah repeated several times.
“That’s what I said.” Nick told her laughing. Sarah couldn’t believe this.
“We would love that so much.” She replied excitedly.
“Don’t let Aaron know. I want it to be a surprise. Just say that ya going on holiday. Which is true.” Nick said.

Nick was going to email Sarah all the details of their holiday and reunion. Sarah had to laugh that when Nick made accommodation bookings, it was always an extra day either way if Sarah and Aaron arrived early or were leaving late in the day.

Later that night, long after Aaron was in bed, Sarah was watching TV when her phone rang. Maybe it could have been Nick, calling to say goodnight but on her caller ID it said it was Brian.