- Text Size +
A week later Michelle was back in the studio rehearsing for her tour when plans changed suddenly. There was no tour. Finances were preventing it and the sales on her album weren’t helping her. Tickets were hardly selling. Brenda and management were having to let people go. Brenda was nearly broke herself. Michelle was heartbroken at the news of what was happening. She was becoming a has been. Michelle couldn’t go back to Nick or see anyone as she was embarrassed to see them in their successes.

Leaving the studio in her car, which fortunately she owned outright so she didn’t have pay back, she drove down to the highway and just drove. She didn’t care where she was going. She just wanted to get out there and be on her own. She drove and drove thinking about everything that was going on with her phone off so she wouldn’t be interrupted. She just wanted to collect her thoughts on her own.

Michelle arrived in Sacramento around dinner time, some 5 hours from leaving Los Angeles when she needed to refuel her car. She thought she would go into the diner and grab some dinner before deciding what she should do.
Waiting for her meal, there was a small TV in the far corner of where she was sitting and was just able to hear the TV. It was TMZ.
“AJ McLean of Backstreet Boys was seen out at Area Night Club with a woman, insiders are claiming to be his new flame after Michelle Watson. Insiders claim that McLean’s new woman, is a photographer from San Francisco. They met not long after McLean and Watson became a couple. No word as to what Watson or the Backstreet camp have to say.” The reporter stated.
Michelle didn’t want to think of what people would say. But then again, TMZ have been pretty much right on things before. She didn’t want to give into temptation.

As the next program began, The Insider, the headlines mentioned AJ and Sally. She wanted to see what they said. The show actually showed a photo of AJ and Sally in a deep kiss, like how she and AJ used to be. Without fuss, Michelle paid for her meal with tip and went back into her car. She wanted to turn on her phone to see what was being said on the internet but if she had done that, her phone would have been constantly ringing. Michelle saw a payphone.

“Brenda, it’s Shell. I need to know what’s going on.” Michelle said.
“Where are you? We are all worried about you.” Brenda asked.
“I don’t want to say. I need time out. I just want to know if the reports about AJ and Sally are true. As my manager/friend/confidant, please tell me.” Michelle replied.
“Nick confirmed it today for me, when I called him this afternoon not long after you left. AJ confirmed it to the guys this morning. AJ and Sally are a couple.” Brenda informed her.
“Ok, thanks. I will call soon. I’m on a payphone and someone wants to use it. Didn’t want to use my phone. Tell everyone I am ok. I just need to be by myself.” Michelle replied and hung up not letting Brenda say anything more.

Michelle sat in the car, wondering where to go. Getting dark, she didn’t want to go anywhere she hadn’t been before so instead she drove back to LA. But wasn’t going straight home to Nick’s. She just wanted to be at the beach. Venice Beach.

The drive back, she was trying to clear her head even more but the thought of Sally and AJ together, tore Michelle apart. Michelle really wanted to be with AJ, even more than she wanted to be with Nick. Michelle and AJ belonged together. Aside from his smoking and his tattoos, Michelle and AJ had everything in common.

Halfway between Sacramento and Los Angeles, she pulled over to a payphone and checked her voice messages. A lot from Nick pleading to call her, AJ calling to confirm, Brian and Howie “saying how are ya”. Michelle knowing to well that they were wanting to find out and all.

Arriving in Los Angeles just before sunrise Michelle got a perfect car park at Venice Beach and sat on top of the car bonnet, a blanket covering her. Whenever Michelle needed to think, her thinking was done at the beach. She could only come to one conclusion. Sally and AJ were soul mates. Michelle and AJ weren’t soul mates.