- Text Size +

Nick was so deathly quiet this night, that it was beginning to scare Lexie. He had withdrawn in a way she had never seen before. He left their bed shortly after he thought she had fallen asleep and she heard him go next door. He left, went downstairs and returned to the room next door. Lexie knew he went down to get that bunny. DJ’s bunny. For the first time in her life with Nick, Lexie cried alone.


How could this be happening? They were finally so happy together, how could something like this come along and ruin it? Lexie knew Christine was always out there and that it would probably only be a matter of time before she appeared, but Lexie had prayed it would be when CJ was much older, not now. How was she going to deal with CJ’s mother coming back into their lives? How would she deal with his ex-lover being in his life again?


Lexie wiped her eyes and rolled over to face the door she had seen Nick leave from. She’d have to find away, she wouldn’t lose Nick like this, or CJ. She wouldn’t be so weak and so immature and prove their naysayers right. She and Nick were meant to be together. She fell asleep with her thoughts and fears haunting her.


It was probably an hour before the alarm was supposed to go off when Lexie woke with a start. Nick had come back to bed and stirred when she suddenly sat up. His hand reached up and pulled her arm, trying to draw her back into bed. She leaned over and kissed his sleep warm cheek, but turned to get out of bed. She pulled her robe on and walked to the windows that overlooked the back yard into CJ’s play area. She looked back and saw Nick, who had dropped off back to sleep.


Had Christine done this? Had she woken and watched him sleep in that bed? In this room? Lexie looked around and realized that this room hadn’t changed from their first night in it. It was still bathed in his blues and creams, the same bed, the same knick-knacks, but with pictures of her, Nick and CJ and not Christine. So many of her things were still in storage, but she had so few. He had bought her a new computer; new clothes and he had even gotten rid of her old car her Dad had bought.


Lexie realized that this was her house and her husband and she’d better take possession of them. She’d better start walking her life like she owned it. The honeymoon was over and it was time for her to get to work. Work to keep her family together and work to make sure they were happy. The clock said she still had 45 minutes before she still had to get up.


She pulled off her robe, removed her pajamas and climbed back into bed. She pressed her naked form against him, slipping her hands down his drawstring pajamas. He moaned and woke rather quickly.


"What?" he mumbled.


"Time to wake up." She whispered.


"Huh?" he grunted and she was loosening his drawstring. "Lex?"


"Good morning, Nick." She said warmly, pulling the pajamas from him.


He kicked his legs free of the covers as she crawled on top of him. He was still wiping the sleep from his eyes as she took his morning erection. A deep groan in his morning voice rumbled through her. He gave her a sleepy smiled and closed his eyes to enjoy her gentle ministering, her movements slow and sensual.


"Damn girl." He muttered, reached to get hold of her hips. Her dark hair cascaded down her body, tickling his knuckles. He could feel his orgasm building inside of her. "Damn." He came slow and easy as he arched his hips into her. Lexie lay down on his chest, his arms wrapping around her. "Good morning, beautiful." He whispered.


"Nick?" she asked.


"Hmm?"


"I want to redecorate." A low chuckled rumbled through him and she looked up into his face.


"Baby, you didn’t have to do that to get to redecorate." He chuckled.


"I didn’t!" she admonished him gently. "I did that because I saw you sleeping there and I wanted you."


"I’m glad." He smiled, his blue eyes sparkling at her in the dim morning light. "Honey, I don’t care what you do to the house. Hell, it could probably stand some updating."


"A little." She smiled as the alarm buzzed on her side of the bed. With a moan, she rolled off of him and slapped it off.


"You know, screw this place. Let’s just get one in Orlando." He said, propping himself on his elbow.


"You mean, like a summer home?"


"No, like a real home. What would you think about moving there?" he smiled.


"Oh, Nick!" she said, throwing her arms around him. "I’d love that. I miss my family so much and it would be great for. . .CJ." she said, suddenly quiet. "I can’t do that to her. Her friends are here, she’s in school, Jane is here, not to mention your family."


"She’d adjust, kids always do. My family can fly to Orlando to see us. Hell, Leslie still lives in Tampa anyways." He shrugged. "I’ve always traveled so much that we’re used to being apart. I want you to be happy." He smiled, tapping her nose.


"I couldn’t ask you two to do that. . ."


"It’s not just about me and CJ anymore. You’re in this family too, you know." He smiled. "Beside career wise for me it makes sense. I mean, my record company is there, a lot of my friends are there and family. Your family. I mean, I am Howie’s and AJ’s son-in-law."


Lexie laughed gently.


"I think we have to deal with Christine before we try to make any decision." Lexie said grimly.


"I had almost forgotten about that." He sighed.


"We can do this Nick, we can get through this." She said, reaching to touch his cheek, rough with his morning beard.


"I know. I can do anything with you at my side." He said, kissing her lips. "I was up all night thinking about it. I saw your beautiful face and I realized I didn’t have worry about anything. This is going to be hard, Lex, really hard."


"I know hard, I do hard." She smiled. "Bring it on."



Nick was surprised by Lexie’s fervor, but he could tell she was still scared. Hell, so was he. Losing any part of CJ’s life would just kill him and he didn’t know who this woman was anymore. Who was Christine James seven years later that he should even consider letting her be a mother to CJ?


Nick showered and decided he was the one who was going to take CJ to school this morning. She was very excited and dragged him inside to meet all her teachers again. She gave him the grand tour of the school and they ran into Jane who did a running leap into his arms. He took them both to their classes and signed a few autographs in the parking lot on the way back to the car.


He settled into the car ride home and reached to dial Lexie at home. She had agreed to tell Sabrina for him so he had the time to spend with CJ. It gnawed at him that he should be the one to handle this, but he knew he had to let it go to keep his sanity. Lexie could handle it. She wanted to handle it. She was his life partner, for better or for worse. He had to change his life toward that. He had been alone for too long.


The phone rang three times before she picked up.


"Hello, beautiful." He smiled. "What did she say?"


"I told her what you said and gave her the number her lawyer left. She said she’d call them today and find out what they wanted." Lexie said. Nick smiled; he could hear her chewing her bottom lip even over the phone.


"You know, tomorrow is dinner at my mom’s." he said. "I think you need a new dress. Let’s go shopping."


"Nick, tomorrow is your birthday and the surprise party you’re not supposed to know about." She said.


"I’m saying the magic words, Lex, ‘Let’s go shopping.’" He teased her.


"I think we should wait for Sabrina’s call."


"I’ll get the answering service to forward the call. Lex, we can’t live like this." He said softly then he added. "Let me buy you something short and sexy for being such a good girl this morning."


"It’s for dinner at your mother’s!" she admonished him with a laugh.


"All the more reason for it to be as short as morally possible." He laughed back. "You don’t have nearly enough little black dresses."


"Nick, I have a ton of them and a ton of those impossible high heels shoes you like so much." He heard her smile.


"I can’t help it you’re short."


"Me!?! I’m not short, I’m almost 5’9"!" she snapped at him. He laughed; she hated it when he told her she was short. "You’re an evil husband, I don’t know why I’m so nice to you!"


Nick laughed even harder.


"Because you love me!" he added.


"I’m a fool for you Nickolas Carter!" she said, joining in his laughter.



"I can’t believe I’m doing this!" Leah laughed, her light hair falling over her shoulder with a toss.


"Pretty cool, huh? I think I should come home for lunch more often." He said, stretching out on the bed. Her light hand fell on his dark chest as she leaned over to kiss him.


"Thank you." She whispered.


"You’re very welcome, Mrs. Dorough." He smiled. "I can’t believe Caroline slept through all that."


"She sleeps like a log, just like her father." Leah laughed, getting out of bed and pulling her robe on. "Come on out of bed, I’ll actually get you some food before you have to go."


"I’ll just grab something on the way back." He said, sitting up and pulling her back into his arms.


"You know you can’t do that anymore. You need to eat well in order to stay healthy." She told him.


"I know, I know. I do good, honest. That new assistant, Michelle, I hired when Kelly left is all over it!" he groaned in her ear. "You should hear her. Nag, nag, nag."


"I pay her good money to keep an eye on you." Leah teased him.


"You do?" he asked, almost wondering if she was serious.


"I check up on you through her. I talk to her almost more than I talk to you." Leah teased him. "She was a good choice."


"Yeah, just what I needed, another spunky blonde in my life." He said, shaking his head.


"Oh, hell, I’m not much of a blonde these days." She chuckled nervously as she ran a hand through her hair.


"You’re as beautiful as the day I met you." He smiled.


"You don’t remember the first time we met." She teased him.


"You know what we need to do?" Howie said quickly, changing the subject. "Have Lexie come out here and you girls should do those spa days, like you used to."


"We used to have so much fun, then you boys would take us to dinner someplace fancy. . ." Leah said, tears welling in her eyes.


"What’s the matter?"


"I miss Lexie." She sighed. "Ever since she ran away it hasn’t been the same. . ."


"I know. . ."


"Now she is married to Nick all the way in L.A.. . ." she sighed again.


"Maybe you could call Leigh, or Kristen."


"Lord, I haven’t spoken to Kristen in years, Howie." Leah said, the weight of the past coming to her. They had all lost so much because of Howie’s adoption of Lexie from AJ.


"Well, Leighanne is right in Atlanta and I know she’s not doing anything this weekend."


"How do you know that?"


"Brian and Fatima are going to Nick’s surprise birthday party tomorrow and giving him back his Prowler."


"Are they really? How sweet!" she said. "How come we’re not going?" Howie looked away from her for a moment. "We weren’t invited?"


"Basically. Leighanne said that they were trying to keep it small because of how much Nick hates his birthday. Nick’s mother is organizing it." He said softly.


"She should’ve invited us, Nick is married to our daughter!" Leah snapped.


"Honey. . ."


"It’s been almost 25 years since AJ fathered Lexie, will that woman ever get over it?!" Leah growled.


"And she’s not happy about the marriage either. Look, we’ll call and wish him a happy birthday and leave it at that. I don’t want Lexie to have any problems with Jane." Howie said. "Brian wasn’t invited either, he’s just crashing it. He called Lexie to find out if there were any plans for his birthday and she told him about the party. I’m not even sure if Lexie knows Brian is showing up."


"I can’t believe she didn’t at least tell us about it." Leah sighed.


"It’s really small, Leah. It’s better this way." He smiled, "It’ll take a little time to break those Carters into the Dorough Birthday Traditions."


"I’m still having Lexie’s birthday here, I don’t care what they say." She said.


"I’m sure you will." Howie chuckled.


"We should have CJ’s too." Leah huffed.


"What is this going to be? Dueling mothers-in-laws?!" he teased her.


"Yes." She finally laughed, "And I have your mother’s recipes for those enchiladas and I’ll have Nick Carter eating out of my hands."



"How did it go?" Jill asked Sabrina over lunch.


"Well, I spoke to her lawyer and he wasn’t very forthcoming. He just insisted they have a face to face with Nick and Lexie." Sabrina said, stabbing her salad. "I do think she was in the office listening to the call."


"So, when’s the meeting?"


"Monday afternoon. They are in New York and agreed to fly out here. I can’t get away any sooner to go there. Nick’s leaving a week from tomorrow." She shrugged.


"So you don’t know if it’s custody or a settlement or anything?" Jill asked.


"Nada. Which is pissing me off." She said, waving her full fork at Jill. "How the hell am I supposed to prepare any counteroffers or anything if I haven’t got a clue on what she wants? I told him they might have to stay a couple days and he said okay. Who am I to argue, right? I’ve got the clerks throwing together every kind of file they can in case her demands fall within the reasonable." She finally ate her biteful.


"You tell Nick?"


"Yeah." She said around her mouthful. She finished chewing and swallowed before she continued.


"How’s he holding up?"


"They sounded pretty good. Lexie almost started crying this morning when Nick wasn’t there, but later they sounded better." She said. "I think they were out shopping or something."


"Really. I wish I could tell Aaron. I know Nick probably needs to talk to him."


"I know, but it’s client confidentiality and all that crap." Sabrina sighed. "Nick told me they didn’t want anyone to know until we know what she wants. He said he’d like the name of a psychologist to help CJ and the family if she wants to see CJ."


"That makes sense." Jill nodded. "I assume he doesn’t know, I know."


"I don’t know what he knows. You’re a partner here and I know you won’t tell Aaron." Sabrina said.


"Luckily, Aaron knows I won’t tell him either." Jill nodded.


"How you guys doing these days?"


"Still trying to decide exactly where to take this little vacation he wants." She smiled.


"Someplace romantic I hope."


"If he wants a baby, it better be romantic. Last night he mentioned Rome."


"Really? I bet that’s nice."


"You know, you should travel."


"Naw, I’m just a kid from Ohio." Sabrina said.


"You know, when I’m back I’m sending you on vacation next." Jill warned her.


Sabrina grinned grimly. Great, another thing for her to do alone while her mother nagged her.



Nick tried for hours to get her into every boutique on Rodeo Drive, but she steered him through the mall where she bought him a baseball cap to cover his hair. He protested because it didn’t match his slacks and shirt, but she insisted she wanted to shop in peace. Her peace lasted for about three hours before people started following them. Lexie for the most part enjoyed Nick’s fans as much as she enjoyed her father’s.


"Even if we ignore them, they won’t go away." He said, leaning over and whispering in her ear as she went through a clothing rack.


"No, but they won’t come over here either." She whispered back.


"Why don’t I just go talk to them?"


"Don’t you dare!" she whispered back.


"Dang Lex, I’m bored stiff. You wouldn’t even let me stop at the CD store. I haven’t been to a CD store since. . .since they used to be called record stores." He moaned to her quietly.


"You’re the one who wanted to go shopping." She sighed loudly.


"Yeah, but not for me and not at the mall." He moaned again.


"You need some casual clothes. Just a couple pairs of jeans. I can’t help it I don’t know what size you are because your weight has gone up and down in the last two years." She moaned back.


"Can’t you just look at the tag on these?"


"They are too big for you AND they are slacks, not jeans. It’s not the same thing. Here, just go try these on." She smiled, looking up at him. She handed him three pairs and pushed him toward a dressing room.


"What am I ever going to do in these?"


"Your next album cover?"


"You’re kidding right?"


"Hey ladies, you want to see him in these jeans?!" Lexie suddenly blurted out. She was rewarded with a small round of cheers. "Your public has spoken. Move it, Carter."


When Nick was changing, Lexie got the fans ~about a dozen~ to come over and sit with her. They were waiting when he came out with the first pair. He came around the corner to his audience for which he blushed.


"Those are too big." Someone said.


"And too short." Another one said.


"You heard them, go try another one." Lexie ordered. He dramatically stomped back inside. The second pair was long enough, but still too big. The third pair he wouldn’t come out in because they were way too short.


"Here, try these." A fan said, handing her another pair. "My husband is about the same size." The woman said. The clerk took them back to Nick.


"Better?" Lexie asked after Nick was a no show for a long while.


"Well," he began coming into view. "They are a little snug." He turned and showed them and the women gave in to their urges to hoot and whistle at him. He looked a little surprised.


"He’s always had the cutest ass." Someone said.


"I know, he’s just gotten better looking, don’t you think?" another said.


"I can’t believe he quit wearing jeans," said another.


One woman leaned over and whispered in Lexie’s ear. "He’s got brief lines."


"I know, he still wears them sometimes." She whispered back. "He switches back and forth."


"Are you gals done?" he sighed.


"Let’s try some black ones." Someone suggested.


"Sure." Lexie nodded.


"Lex." He sighed.


"Nick." She mimicked him. "This is good for you, trust me."


"Very good!" Someone agreed to a small round of applause.


"You guys are tired of those suits aren’t you?" Lexie asked them.


"Yeah!" they cheered.


"What you’d give to see him in jeans, maybe a tee-shirt. . ." Lexie continued.


"Cowboy boots. . ."


"Next album cover." Lexie added.


"There’s a new album?" the rapid fire began.


"When’s it coming out?"


"Are you gonna do any Backstreet songs?"


"Where are you recording it?"


"Will he wear that?"


Lexie smiled a little smile of satisfaction and to her surprise, so did he as his eyes locked with hers. His eyes had that sparkle they had this morning.


"Okay, go change. That’s enough for today." She said, getting him off the hook.


He came back out and signed autographs for everyone. Each of the ladies gave her a hug and they chatted about their own husbands and boyfriends. Soon, it was almost as if they forgot about Nick and ended up just talking to her.


Damn, he smiled, if she were any more perfect it would be inhuman. She was kind to his fans, promoted his new album even before he had recorded a note and had them eating out of the palm of her hand. They were growing to love her as much as he did. She waved good bye to them, slipped her hand into his as they walked hand in hand to the cash register.


"That was fun." She smiled as he handed over his credit card to the star struck clerk.


"I’m glad you enjoyed yourself at my expense." He smiled back.


"Those do look good." She said, buttering him up.


"If I have to wear those, you know it means no more midnight runs to the grocery store for ice cream." He said, putting his card back into his wallet. "I don’t have that kind of metabolism. Never had." He put his wallet back into his back pocket.


"I could live with that." She said, scooping up the bag and thanking the clerk.


"I doubt that’s gonna last, Ms. Chocolate-Chip-Mint-I-Gotta-Have-Some-Right-Now." He teased as he took her hand.


"I don’t know why Cook just won’t buy me some!" she sighed dramatically.


Nick laughed at her, but he knew the reason. Chocolate Chip Mint had been Christine’s favorite and the only thing ‘special’ she had ever requested from him in the way of home comforts after she moved in. He had ordered Cook to never bring it into the house again after she left. He still hadn’t rescinded that order, even after Lexie started asking for it.