- Text Size +

People say that revenge is a dish best served cold, but in McGee’s opinion, it’s even better if revenge is served before its target even has any inkling that they’re being targeted.

If “Agent Tommy” had any clue that he’d given away the ruse, he certainly wasn’t showing it. Even if Tommy hadn’t given the game away, Abby had when she didn’t even hide the fact that she recognized him when she gave them each a hug outside the police station when she’d come to pick them up.

Still, neither Tommy nor Abby seemed to recognize that Tim was onto them. And for now, he was quite happy to play along. He couldn’t appear too willing, of course, or they’d know the jig was up, but he could play the patsy for a little while longer. He wanted to see just how far they were willing to go.

“Okay, so spill. All the juicy little details,” Abby pried as she pulled away from the curb.

Tommy rolled his eyes. “Seems Probie over here doesn’t understand the concept of ‘covert ops’.”

Abby grinned. “Do tell.”

“It was nothing, Abby,” Tim tried to deflect. “And, for the record, there was nothing covert about the way you were carrying on in the fountain,” he reminded Tommy.

“In case you hadn’t noticed, my carrying on saved our asses,” Tommy shot back.

“You wouldn’t have had to do that if you hadn’t stolen my car.”

“He stole your car?” Abby asked, sounding surprised.

“And he’s stalking Director David,” Tim added, hiding his smile at Abby’s ‘surprised’ expression.

“I’m not stalking David,” Tommy protested. He sighed. “I think he’s in trouble.”

Tim couldn’t quite stifle his laugh. “Wait. So first you think that Director David was behind Ziva’s disappearance,” he started to clarify. “And then you thought David attacked you. Then you thought it wasn’t David who attacked you but one of his agents. And now you think that he’s actually the one in trouble?”

“I already told you, he looked worried, not angry, McGoo. He wasn’t the one who attacked me. So it had to be one of them.”

“Someone attacked you?” Abby asked, and McGee was impressed with how worried she appeared. Maybe she should play herself in Deep Six, he considered briefly.

“I’m fine,” Tommy assured her. “But my gut is telling me that Ziva’s in trouble.”

“Ziva? Don’t you mean Director David?” Tim asked, honestly confused by the giant holes in Tommy’s story.

“Stay with me, McGee. They’re both in trouble. I think someone’s got her and they’re using her against the Director somehow. That must be why they attacked me, I was getting too close.”

“Must be,” Tim agreed sardonically. The idea that anyone could possibly have kidnapped Ziva--and managed to keep her captive--was laughable. The Mossad agent could take care of herself. And anyone under her protection, he figured. She was a highly trained assassin. Given, he was getting a little worried that he hadn’t heard back from her. But…she was probably just off on a mission. No, not probably, definitely. She just hadn’t had a chance to check in for a few days, that was all.

“I need to get close to him without his goons being right there,” Tommy seemed to be thinking aloud. “I might’ve been able to do it earlier if you hadn’t followed me, Probie,” he accused, though there was more amusement than malice behind the words. “Now it’s going to have to be at The Ball.”

“The Ball?” McGee repeated back warily, hoping that didn’t mean what he thought it did.

Unfortunately, it meant exactly what he thought it did, and he quickly discovered that not only had Tommy convinced Abby to invite him, but she also expected Tim to go along, too. And she had just the puppy-dog look necessary to convince him.

McGee had to admit he was rather impressed with the extent that both Abby and Tommy played their parts all afternoon as they strong-armed him into getting fitted with a new tux. It seemed that Abby was just as intent as Tommy on acting like he really was part of their team or at least that it was completely normal that he was hanging out with them.

Tommy was…pretty much exactly as Tim had imagined he’d be as he tried to set McGee up to look rather outlandish at the Embassy Ball. Tim had to put his foot down at Tommy’s ‘suggestion’ that he go with a powder blue tux (it did not match his eyes, thank you--and no, he didn’t want a green one that would) but agreed to a classic white as not to match his “partner”.  He also declined the offered matching top-hat, even when Tommy offered to pay for it himself. McGee had to admit that after the initial ridiculing, though, Tommy had settled down and seriously helped him find a decent style much like the ‘big brother’ character McGee had envisioned.

By the time both Tim and Tommy were outfitted it was time to pick up Jimmy and Ducky. McGee found himself growing inexplicably nervous as they arrived at the front gate. He knew it was only a matter of time before the jig was up, but he was almost sorry that it was going to end, more than likely as soon as they met up with the others.  He almost hoped that they wouldn’t call the bluff right away. Almost. He couldn’t help it. He was immensely curious whether Tommy and Abby would actually go so far as to try and keep up the ruse at such a prestigious event. And if they did…he was morbidly curious how Gibbs would react. Abby, he was certain, would get a free pass. But if Tommy showed up as…well…Tommy? It was sort of like waiting for an inevitable train wreck. Except that he could put a stop to it. All he had to do was let on that he knew.

Or he could let Ducky or Jimmy do it for him.

Except that they didn’t!

“Hey, Jimmy,” Tommy greeted the younger man as he climbed into the back seat of the hearse, sliding into the middle seat beside Tim. After a slight hesitation, Tommy extended his greeting, “Ducky.”

“Oh! Hello,” Ducky greeted breezily as Jimmy looked to Tim questioningly.

“It’s Agent Tommy,” McGee informed them both.

Tommy gave him a strange look in the rearview mirror.

“Ah! So it is!” Ducky affirmed, appearing quite fascinated as he looked the actor over and gave Tim an approving nod.

The ride to the Embassy was rather surreal to Tim as he listened to the others discussing the latest case they’d been working on. Tommy somehow managed not only to keep up with Abby, Ducky, and Jimmy’s discussion, but he offered his own perspective and drew his own conclusions. And most of them actually made sense.  And the others just kept going right along with him and building on his theories!

By the time they reached the Embassy, Tim was feeling rather exasperated. Were they all in on the joke? It wasn’t outside the realm of possibility; Abby had just about everyone wrapped around her little finger and could probably convince them to do just about anything.

McGee needed a few moments to ground himself before he started really doubting his own sanity again. It was a joke, he was sure of it, and yet the way that everyone seemed to be playing along kept him slightly off-balance. On the upside, it was highly unlikely that Gibbs would be in on the hoax. Although his former boss wasn’t totally above pulling a prank now and then, his M.O. was far more subtle. And sometimes it seemed that Gibbs took somewhat of a perverse pleasure in exposing other people’s stunts. Not that he was likely to do that to Abby…

“So, who’s our designated driver tonight?” Abby asked as she held up her keys and looked expectantly at Ducky.

“Not my turn, dear girl,” Ducky declined, much to her amusement. “The best way to get through these events is to partake in the open bar,” he added with a sly wink.

“I guess that means me,” Jimmy offered as he took the offered keys.

McGee was relieved to have justification to slip away from the group for a few minutes to go check and see whether Gibbs had been able to learn anything about the DiNozzo disappearance.

“Hey, Boss…I mean Gibbs,” he greeted as he joined Gibbs on the mezzanine level, where the agent stood watch.

“McGee,” Gibbs replied with a nod.

Knowing the man’s dislike of small talk, he got right to the point. “I don’t suppose you had a chance to talk to Fornell,” he queried.

“You don’t?”

“I mean…”

Gibbs cut him off with a small glare before turning his attention back to the room below. “Sacks thinks it would best to keep you out of the investigation,” he informed McGee. “Something you want to tell me about?”

“I think he might not be happy with the role he had in Frame-Up,” Tim sheepishly explained. “Were you able to find out anything? Have they found…” his body “…him?”

Gibbs shook his head. “Nope. Sacks has the wife in for questioning. Seems they had a fight before he disappeared.” McGee considered that for a few moments before Gibbs continued. “Has an alibi, though.”

“Do they…think he was murdered?” McGee hesitantly forced himself to ask, dreading the answer.

Gibbs looked at him appraisingly. Though he didn’t ask, Tim was certain that the man was calculating whether or not McGee would be able to handle the answer. “Sacks is pursuing other leads,” he answered after a moment.

“Leads?” Tim prompted.

“His phone is off the grid. Either turned off or that locater dohicky is broken. There’s been some credit card activity.”

Tim perked up. “Really? So he’s alive?”

Gibbs pursed his lips for a few moments as he once again scanned the room below for any signs of trouble. “Store clerks haven’t been able to confirm the identity. The purchases have all been small so nobody checked ID, and no one has recognized his picture.”

Tim sighed, acknowledging the likelihood that the credit cards had been stolen. “They putting a stop on the cards?”

“Hadn’t last I heard. Sacks wants to keep tracking them for now.”

Tim noticed Gibbs suddenly honing his attention on something down below. He followed Gibbs’ line of sight and almost laughed as he focused on Tommy, who seemed to be paying an inordinate amount of attention to Director David.

“Do we know who that is?” Gibbs asked curtly, noticing Mcgee’s smirk.

“Yeah. That’s…Agent Tommy.” At Gibbs’ raised brow he felt his face turning red. “A friend of Abby’s. He’s auditioning for the role of Agent Tommy for Deep Six.” Gibbs only relaxed a fraction but kept his attention focused on the actor. “He’s harmless…I think.”

“You think, McGee?”

“I’m sure he is. He’s just…refusing to break character.”

McGee wasn’t sure, but he thought he saw a ghost of a smile grace Gibbs’ lips. “Long day, McGee?”

“You have no idea. Were you able to find out anything else? A-about the case?”

“Been a bit busy to pursue it, McGee,” Gibbs reminded him.

“Right. Sorry, Bos--Gibbs. I should probably…”

“I should be getting a full copy of the file by morning,” Gibbs assured him.  “Subtlety.”

“What?” McGee asked, not following.

“Tommy. Needs to work on subtlety.”

McGee choked back a laugh. Tommy was, indeed anything but subtle.  “He’s investigating Director David.”

“I can see that,” Gibbs commented dryly. “Why?”

“Oh. Um…I don’t know. He’s come up with some background story about being attacked and David being involved somehow.” Gibbs glanced sidelong at him. “He says that someone is holding Ziva captive and…” he gulped as Gibbs’ attention once again became directed at him. “It’s just a silly backstory he came up with for his audition,” he assured. “I mean…he says that someone’s holding Ziva and is using her to get to the Director or something,” he quickly clarified.

Gibbs frowned as he looked back down at the actor again. “Well, guess they better hurry.”

“Oh, yeah? Why’s that?”

“Rumor has it Director David is announcing his retirement tomorrow.”

“Really?”

Gibbs nodded, though his attention remained on the young man below.

“I’m pretty sure he really is harmless. He’s a friend of Abby’s,” Tim tried to assure him once again, but it was obvious that Gibbs was in full-on alert mode. He didn’t relax at all, even when Tommy finally turned his attention away from David. In fact, McGee noted, Gibbs seemed to tense all the more as he watched Tommy tap Abby on the shoulder and, after exchanging a few words, lead her out onto the dance floor.


Though he knew that he had to find a way to get close enough to talk with Director David, Tony had no idea how he was going to do it. There was little chance that he’d get within even a few feet of the man before his goons swarmed. They hadn’t left his side for even a moment. It was what they were paid to do, he reasoned. And one of them had further reason not to let the Director out of his sight.

So how was Tony supposed to have a little chat with him? He could wait and follow the man into the men’s room and come across as a complete stalker. Or…he smiled as an idea formulated. It was going to take a little bit of finagling, but if he could get Abby and McGee to go along with it--and he was certain that they would, even if a bit reluctantly--it would likely buy him at least a minute or two of private conversation.

Setting his plan into motion, he approached the table where Abby, Ducky, and Jimmy were seated. “Would you care to dance?” he invited Abby as he tapped her on the shoulder.

Abby’s lips quirked into a coy smile as she looked up from her seat. “I’m not sure. Are you a good dancer?”

Tony didn’t reply except to flash a dazzling grin and extend his hand to her.

Truth was that he was more than good, if he could say so himself.  He wasn’t even remotely embarrassed to admit that he had taken several dance classes throughout the years, and not just the ones necessary to fulfill the requirements for his Phys Ed major. When he was a child, he’d been forced to take classes before cotillion, and there’d been refresher courses each year. He’d been every bit as uncomfortable and reluctant as any other awkward teenage boy, but he quickly learned the merits of learning this particular skill when it came to impressing and charming many of his female classmates. Dancing, as it turned out, was the perfect excuse to really get close to girls, and his skill gave him the confidence to put that excuse to use.

A few years later, when he played for the Buckeyes, Coach Dowling had insisted that the guys take classes to improve their agility. And then he’d taken a few more classes the month before his wedding…

He froze for just a moment. His wedding? He wasn’t married. Was he? No. He was a confirmed irrepressible and proud bachelor. So why was he wearing a wedding ring? It must’ve been for his undercover assignment and he’d just forgotten to take it off, he justified as he started moving again, hoping that Abby hadn’t noticed his hesitation. If she had, she didn’t acknowledge it. She simply followed him onto the dance floor and moved swiftly into position as they joined the waltz already in progress. He expertly took a commanding lead and guided her smoothly through the steps in nearly flawless form.

Though the steps still came naturally, Tony was fairly certain that it had been a long time since last he’d done them.  For a few minutes Tony let himself forget about everything else and just enjoyed the heady experience of dancing with his surprisingly graceful partner. He’d had her pegged as a club dancer, but hadn’t expected her to be quite so fluid when it came to formal dance. Then again, he realized; she was from the south; odds were she’d been expected to attend cotillion, too.  He found himself quite enthralled with the way she easily gave him complete control, trusting him implicitly. But then, that’s what he always loved about Abby. She was just that trusting and open with everyone. And God help anyone who ever tried to take advantage of her for it.

It wasn’t until he spotted McGee making his way down the staircase that Tony remembered what it was that he was supposed to be doing.  Lives could very well count on him, and much as he was enjoying the moment, it was time to get back to work.  “Abby?” he softly murmured into her ear as they continued to dance.

“Mmmhmm?” she replied, matching his quietness.

“Can you do me a bit of a favor?”

“Depends on just what kind of favor we’re talking,” she teased, flashing him a devilish grin.

He chuckled lowly, exaggeratedly leering at her for a few moments before sobering and getting to the point, quickly outlining his plan.

As she listened, Abby began chewing her lip and glancing nervously up toward the Mezzanine.  Following her gaze, he was startled to notice a grey-haired man watching them from the balcony. It had to be Gibbs, he recognized. He knew he should probably go and check in with his boss before he made any moves, but he also knew that if he did, odds were that Gibbs would veto his plan. Clearly Abby knew it, too, and Tony was certain that she was going to bail on him. After a few moments of hesitation, though, he saw an amused spark light in her eyes as a grin stretched across her face. “The look on his face will be so worth it,” she made her ruling before breaking away from him.

As Abby set off on her assigned task, Tony made his way over to McGee. This was going to be the much tougher sell, he acknowledged as his mind sought to find the best way to approach the Probie with his plan. Where Abby was the type up for any adventure, Tim far preferred staying safe and keeping a low profile. So perhaps the best way to approach him would be to just not give him a choice in the matter.

“Probie!” he greeted with an exaggerated cheerfulness. He feigned hurt at the immediately suspicious look on his partner’s face. Tim didn’t look impressed.

“What?” McGee asked guardedly.

“You like Abby, right?”

Tim blinked, unsure where that question had come from. “Of course…”

“You’d do anything for her, right?”

“…Yeah.”

“Good.”

Tim’s brow furrowed, unsure what that little exchange had to do with anything. “Um…Of course it’s good, but…why?”

“Why what?”

McGee’s jaw tightened slightly with exasperation. “Why would you ask that?”

“Because she needs our help.”

Tim’s eyes widened and he immediately began scanning the crowd for Abby.

Using the McGee’s distraction, Tony sprang into action, gripping McGee’s wrist and pulling him out onto the dance floor.

“Hey!” McGee yelped as he was spun around.

“Shh. Work with me here, we’ve got to blend.” When McGee only gaped at him, Tony gave him a patient smile and grasped his hand. “Your other one goes at my waist…and don’t you go getting all handsy on me, Probie.”

For a moment Tim was speechless, then he sputtered, “Y-you want me to dance with you?”

“How many times do I have to tell you. I don’t swing that way. Now come on. You do know how to dance, don’t you?”

Tim started to protest only to find himself being bodily jerked around as his partner tried to force him into cooperating. He tried to pull away only to have Agent Tommy pull him flush against his chest.

“Focus, Probie. Abby needs you,” the man murmured into his ear before backing away just slightly, his expression completely serious as he locked eyes with McGee.

At those words the fight went out of Tim and he fell into step, ignoring the blush he could feel creeping up his neck and into his face. He stumbled slightly as he adjusted to his unfamiliar role and allowed Tommy to take the lead. Within just a couple minutes he became increasingly confident in his step while paradoxically becoming more flustered by the attention they were receiving.

“Um…Tommy…” he began to protest once he had been able to stop concentrating so hard on the steps and got a chance to start reasoning out just why they were doing this. Supposedly Abby was in trouble, but considering that they were mere yards away from the massively overprotective Gibbs…who…oh, God, who was probably watching him dance with Tommy. He began trying to pull away again, only to have Tommy spin him again. As he struggled to maintain his balance, he found himself being dipped backward.

“Relax, Probie,” Tony soothed even as he held McGee precariously off-balance. “You doing okay there? You’re look a little peaked,” he teased.

“Nothing you do could further embarrass me. Is that what you wanted to hear?” Tim hissed. “Game over yet?”

“Game’s just getting started, McClunky.”

Tim groaned as he found himself once again being whisked around the floor. “Not that this isn’t an enlightening experience and all,” he grit sarcastically, “but what are we doing?”

“We’re rescuing Abby.”

“And we’re accomplishing that how?” McGee persisted.

“By doing this…” Tony suddenly released his hand and tapped on Eli David’s shoulder. “Excuse me, but my partner here has been dying to dance with your partner all night. Mind if we cut in?” he asked in a mockery of politeness.

McGee’s eyes widened as he turned to find out who he was being handed off to and was surprised to come face to face with Abby.

“Hi, McGee,” she greeted exuberantly as she traded partners, handing Eli David off to Tony and quickly pulling Tim away from the pair.

“Abby! What are you--?”

“Tommy needed to talk to Eli without his goons. The dance floor’s the only place they’re not *right there*,” she explained. “I just made sure David got to dance a little,” she added with a grin.

Tim could feel the blood draining from his face as he turned to find Tommy. If he did *anything* to the director, Gibbs would have his hide.

Gibbs!

He turned to look up at the mezzanine and winced as he saw Gibbs making a rapid descent down the stairs, making a bee-line straight for them.

He quickly pulled away from Abby and rushed to meet his ex-boss at the edge of the dance floor.

“What do you think you are doing?” Eli David growled as Tony gripped one of his hands and his other shoulder, as though they were dancing. “What do you want? I am sorry about what happened yester--"

“Shh.  I know. It wasn’t your fault. I know. Promise I’m not here to hurt you. Please. Hear me out,” Tony quickly silenced the director. The director glanced around for a moment, and then gave a barely perceptible nod. “Sorry for interrupting you, but this was the only place we could talk.”

“What is it that you want?” Eli asked testily, his eyes locking with Tony’s.

“I know.” Tony repeated his previous words.

“What is it that you know?” Director David

Tony looked up to make sure the mossad officers were still a distance away. “I know. About your daughter. About Ziva.”

At those words Eli jerked his arm quickly from Tony’s grasp and began quickly moving away from him, as though panicked.

“Not the reaction I was expecting,” Tony admitted out loud.

“What did you say to him?” Abby asked as she approached him again.

Before Tony could answer, he noticed that while two of the officers from David’s protection detail were trailing after the Mossad Director, the other was rapidly approaching. “Whoa!” He grabbed Abby’s wrist and began pulling her with him as they dodged through the crowd heading in the opposite direction.

Tony wasn’t sure why Eli David had reacted like a scared rabbit at his words. He thought the director might welcome his help, but it seemed that he’d made the situation worse somehow. And now it seemed that he’d also inadvertently place Abby in the line of fire. Time for a little diversion. If all eyes were upon them, the Mossad Officer would have to back off.

Looking for anything he could use to draw attention, he quickly spotted his target. A grin adorned his face as he pulled Abby directly to a table where some of the younger emissaries had gathered and were gleefully partaking in the open bar. This should be fun. He deftly procured a full tray of cocktails from a passing waiter.

“No, no, I swear. I am the reigning beer pong champ,” he loudly informed Abby, sounding as though they’d been arguing about it.

Abby didn’t even hesitate before she began playing along with him. “Yeah, right,” she called out skeptically.

“Seriously. I don’t have a ball, but…we’ll play quarters. For every one I make, you drink. For everyone I miss, I drink,” he announced. His challenge quickly drew the attention he was seeking. If there was one thing he could always count on, it was that there was rarely a shortage of people excited to watch someone else make a drunken fool out of himself. Gotta love Schadenfreude …


“What the hell did he say to David?” Gibbs demanded as he reached McGee. Whatever the Tommy fellow had said had sent David scrambling for the exit.

“I have absolutely no idea,” McGee admitted as he felt all the blood draining from his face.

“Find out, McGee!” Gibbs barked as he turned to follow after the wayward director.

“Y-yes, Boss!” McGee called after him. He should never have let this stupid hoax get this far. Now Gibbs was probably going to have his head. And for good reason. “Agent Tommy” may very well have just set off an “International Incident” if Gibbs couldn’t get to The Director and calm him down quickly.

He began scanning the floor, searching for the actor. It only took a few moments before he became aware of a commotion building on the other side of the room.  “Oh, God…” he moaned as he realized just who was at the center of it.

Tim made his way to them as quickly as he could, but it was clear by the time he managed to muscle his way through the crowd that it was too late. If Tommy hadn’t set off an international incident already, he was certainly in the process of doing so now. And worse, it appeared that he was taking Abby down with him. He had to get them out of there. Now. Before Gibbs saw them.  While Gibbs would forgive Abby just about anything, he wasn’t certain that getting completely drunk as a representative of NCIS while attending a major International event was included in that ‘anything’. And if word got back to Vance…it could cost her job!

“Abby!” he admonished as he approached her.

“Don’t worry, he hasn’t hit one yet,” she cheerfully replied as she watched him down another cocktail. She’d lost count of just how many he’d downed while they waited for rescue.

“We have to get your friend of here,” Tim crossly insisted.

“Our friend,” Abby corrected. “You like him, too, don’t you?”

While the actor had his moments, at the moment Tim would have to say ‘not so much’. But McGee didn’t have the heart to correct her. “Abby, listen to me. We have to get him out of here before Gibbs sees him like this.”

At that, Abby had the grace to pale slightly. She nodded quickly and grabbed the quarter from the table before Tommy could pick it up for another round. She looked around for the Mossad Officers that Tommy had been dodging while McGee gripped Tommy’s arm and began tugging him toward the exit. “Come on, we have to get out of here.”

“Lead on, McGee-mo-sabe!” Tommy slurred slightly, laughing as he stumbled.

“What I said about further embarrassment earlier?” Tim informed Tommy as swiftly wrapped his arm around Tommy to steady him. “I stand corrected.”

Tim wasn’t sure if it was simple luck or some sort of divine intervention that got them out of the building without Tommy passing out and without running into Gibbs. He became convinced it was the latter when he realized that although Jimmy had the keys to Abby’s hearse, Tommy still had the keys to his car, which miraculously had not been towed from the spot where Tommy had parked earlier. The actor was going to be paying for the multitude of parking tickets that adorned its windshield.

Tim didn’t relax until they were safely away from Embassy row and back on the freeway heading home. Inversely, that was precisely when Tommy began to get more anxious.

“Slow down a minute, Probie,” he demanded.

Tim immediately swerved, trying to get to the side of the road so he could stop. “Don’t get sick until you’re out of the car,” he pleaded.

“Not that,” Tommy had the gall to sound annoyed. “I’m fine. But I think we’re being followed.”

McGee’s eyes darted from the side mirror to the rear view and back again. “I don’t see anything.”

“Blue sedan. Two back and one to the right.”

Abby turned in her seat to peer back, trying to spot the car.

“We’re not being followed,” Tim assured her.

“They slowed when we did,” Tommy reasoned.

“So did everyone else. They thought we were going to cause an accident.”

Tommy sighed exaggeratedly but fell silent for the next couple minutes. Just when McGee thought perhaps the other man had fallen asleep, though, he piped up again. “I’m telling you, we’re being followed.”

“We are not being followed.”

“Are, too.”

“Are not.”

“Are, too.”

“Are NOT,” Tim growled. He couldn’t believe that even completely drunk, Tommy was still not letting go of the charade. He would have to remember that childish banter that the Deep Six agents frequently found themselves getting into.

“Fine. We’re not being followed,” Tommy conceded. “Just don’t blame me when your apartment blows up.”

“What?! No. You know, I don’t want to know. Just…shut up. We’re almost home.”

McGee was tempted to drop Abby and her friend off at her place and just wash his hands of them for the night, but he wasn’t sure it was a good idea to leave Abby alone with Tommy. Act or not, the man was still a raving lunatic. He sure as hell wasn’t going to stay up babysitting him alone, though; Abby was just going to have to spend the night at his place.

Besides, he needed her help to get Tommy upstairs.

“You’re taking the couch,” he insisted when they got into his apartment.

“That the way you treat your guests, Probie?” Tommy asked with a yawn as he shuffled toward the bedroom.

“Couch!” Tim tried again, but it was no use. He watched with a scowl as Tommy flopped face down on his bed. He sighed with defeat as a moment later Abby joined him.

“Come on Timmy, there’s room for one more,” she playfully called to him.

He rolled his eyes and was about to settle himself on the sofa for the night when he realized that it might not be such a great idea to leave Abby in there alone with the drunken actor. Abby grinned at him as he made his way into the room. She scooted over to make room.

“This really would be a lot more comfortable if you’d stay out on the couch,” Tim tried one last time to guilt Tommy into moving. When the man didn’t respond, McGee realized that he’d actually passed out either from the drink or from exhaustion. He smiled faintly as he saw how innocent the man somehow managed to look when he was sleeping. “Help me with his shoes?” he quietly asked of Abby.

“We can tuck him in,” Abby agreed as she began gently working the man’s tux coat off. Together they eased the sleeping man under the covers.

“Don’t be mad, El,” he murmured softly in his sleep. “I just wanted to have a little fun…”