- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow it's been a while since I wrote in general hope you guys are still interested. Hopefully now I can get back on a roll with this story cause I have so many surprises coming up. Thanks you guys. Hope you enjoy this chapter.

We were both sitting on the sofa, like a young couple on their first date. She was at one end and I was at the other. Miss Bastos had changed into some skin tight jeans, and a white V-neck. Her brown shoulder length hair was silky and straight and her face was lit up by a hint of make up. As I get older I tend to get self conscious around women who look so vibrant and beautiful. I felt on my face, and remembered that I probably still looked like crap.

I hadn’t showered, hell, I didn’t even bother to change my clothes, because I thought maybe I’d get some assistance in the shower. Now the thought nauseated me a little.

“So you’re the youngest of the Thompson’s? I met your father a while back, he was such a good officer when he was in the field.” She ran her hands over her jeans and let out a sigh.

A part of me wanted to tell her to shove the small talk where the sun didn’t shine, but the polite part of me was saying that this was all just a misunderstanding and I wasn’t that rude. “Yeah…now he’s a mechanic…” I laughed, “So you know all my family?”

We both turned to look at each other and then quickly reverted our gazes back to the TV set, that was off. “Well I know your dad, Dorough and Mclean. We’ve had our moments of working together. That’s why I’m here…cause we have a job back in Reno.”

I nodded my head like I understood what she was talking about, but I had no clue. Alex hadn’t mentioned no job out of town, but then again, what the hell did Alex tell me.

NOTHING.

Keys rattled, the doorknob turned and the door swung open. “Holy shit!” Alex muttered as he pulled the key out of the doorknob. He looked at her and then back at me and his face went pale. “I…um…didn’t know you were coming today?”

She jumped up and gave him a playful smack on the arm. “Oh I know. I came a little early.”

Was that a flirty comment? I can swear it was. It wasn’t like I was being purposely jealous, but my best friend had made a comment about detective Bastos and Alex and now that I realized Bastos was a woman those comments meant one thing.

They’d had sex.

It wasn’t looking good for Alex right about now, especially cause he hadn’t told me anything. Why do I bother with Alexander Mclean in the first place, it‘s not like he’s the only man out there, but then again it’s not like there are men falling to their knees for me. I stood up and angrily stormed to the bedroom. I stuffed whatever I had into the bag and flung it over my shoulder. When I turned around there he was staring at me confused. As if this wasn’t a big deal.

“Where are you going?”

“HOME! What’s it look like to you?” I pursed my lips in anger and crossed my arms.

He was leaning sexily against the door frame and I was standing there pouting like a baby. “You’re having a fit for the second time today. Do you realize that?”

“Well maybe you shouldn’t deal with it…”

Alex pushed himself off the door frame and closed the door with his foot. Then made way towards me, I kept stepping back until I bumped into the wall.

“She’s just business. I didn’t tell you about it because I knew you would freak out. Plus it’s supposed to be the first time I’m in charge of a drug bust. So cut me some slack, alright.”

I knew I was probably overreacting, because coming from Alexander Mclean, the fact that he was in here trying to explain his situation was more than proof he had nothing to hide.

“I’ll meet you later. Now let me get by…” I knew I was being stubborn, but I was pissed off. He hadn’t told me something as important as the fact that he was going to have a woman that had slept with him in the past, staying in his house. Even if it was just one night. Ignoring the confused look on Bastos face, I stormed out of the house and down the stairs. I flung my bag onto the passenger seat and hopped into the driver seat. Then zoomed off towards my apartment, maybe I’d feel better after a long needed nap.

A warm breeze blew my hair everywhere, I stood staring up at the sky for a bit, it was nice and clear with stars winking above. It was a beautiful evening, and yet I was feeling real shitty. I was still feeling groggy from my nap earlier and the fit of tears in the shower. Don’t tell anyone.

“Yo…”

I spun around and found myself face to face with Richardson. “Jesus…did you have to scare the crap out of me?”

He grinned and I felt myself melt a little. “Someone is in a touchy mood tonight.” He bent down and leaned into my ear. “The chief wants to talk to you that might be a good thing.”

“Ugh. That’s all I need…” I slammed the door and hauled my ass into the station. “I thought I’d come and practice on my aim and get away from everything that is pestering me.”

Kevin grinned at the female officer at the front desk and followed me towards the locker rooms. “Hanging out at the station is definitely a bad choice. Although if you come to shoot a gun that could help. So have you heard anything about some hot detective that’s come from Reno.”

I stared at him dumbfounded, “Shit! You too? Everyone is drooling over this Bastos chic. Personally, I don‘t know what all the fuss is about.”

“Well I wont either until I see her for myself.” He playfully poked my ribs, “Someone sounds like they’re jealous.”

With a roll of my eyes we both made way towards the chiefs office, but were sidetracked when we heard laughter coming from the lunch room. I felt my insides hit the floor and bounce back into my stomach. There they were Bastos, Alex and a couple of other uniformed officers in a fit of laughter probably over some dumb joke she had told.

“Holy hell…is that her?” Kevin’s mouth literally fell open and his eyes went wide. She’s not all that.

My eyes involuntarily rolled again, it was the gesture of the day. “Not you too?” I smacked him on the arm to get his attention, but he was hypnotized and to tell you the truth…I was a bit jealous.

He took my arm and dragged me into the room without any warning. I even tripped over a couple of chairs, but he didn’t even notice. Of course that caught everyone else’s attention, all eyes fell upon us and I felt the heat of embarrassment flood my face.

“Soph…” Alex smiled right away and so did Bastos. She was looking as perfect as I’d seen her earlier. Only now she was all dressed up in a suit and her hair was up in a ponytail. Professional.

I couldn’t help to look down at myself…I’m so plain Jane. “Hi.” That was all I could say, because the jealousy and anger was returning to my gut. The officers all said their goodbyes and welcome backs to her and headed out the room. We stood there in awkward silence exchanging looks. “Oh…I’m so sorry. Um…my partner here has heard great things about you and wanted to meet you. So…um…erm…”

Bastos chuckled and stuck her hand out towards Kevin, “It’s Gabby Bastos, nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you…I’m Kevin, Kevin Richardson.” Their eyes locked for a bit and their hands held for just as long. Instant chemistry.

Alex walked up to me and took my arm, “How long are you going to be pissed off?” He muttered with a hint of annoyance.

I looked up at him with my angry eyes, “I haven’t decided yet.”

“We are to meet the chief in his office in a couple of minutes.” She interrupted our conversation. I couldn’t help glaring at her, it seemed that she was trying to keep me and Alex away from each other.

“Did you rest well after I left?” The anger was apparent in my voice.

“Why don’t we head on to the chief’s office…” Alex interrupted, before we could even start.

I spun around and headed out the lunchroom and stormed into the bathroom. Why did she get to me? Oh yeah…cause she had slept with my boyfriend. I slapped cold water on my face and stared at my ghostly twin in the mirror. The door swung open and I almost jumped onto the counter.. Throwing my hand over my chest I turned to look towards the door. Why was she everywhere? I yanked a paper towel, quickly dried my hands and flung the crumpled paper into the basket.

“You can’t avoid me forever…especially if we are going to work together.” I had no idea what she was talking about. “Upon your father's request I had them add you to our team for the Reno bust. You can’t hate me Sophia when you don’t even know me.”

“I don’t hate you. I hate the fact that…”

She cut me off as she leaned against the door and locked it. I wasn’t sure if I should start rolling up my sleeve and getting into my boxing mode or just relax and listen to her. “I thought you said that we had to be…”

“Would you just hear me out. I’m not here to cause any trouble, I came to get my team so I can do my job. Yes…everything you hear about me and Alex is true. I didn’t know that he was with you at the time, and well…”

I crossed my arms and leaned against the counter, by the looks of it I wasn’t going anywhere till miss pretty got things off her chest. Anyways, I wanted to hear exactly what had gone on with her and Alex.

I must’ve made a face or snorted…something, because she repeated herself. “...like I said before I didn’t know about you two. We both know Alex better than anyone else, he gets what he wants. I'm not complaining...but, if you must know the only affected person...was me. It all happened so fast and unfortunately I’m the one that fell for him, when all along he was in love with you. He loves you…he always has and he probably always will. So do me a favor and stop treating him like shit and embrace the love he has for you.”

She caught my attention there. Not only was her voice a bit shaky but, there were tears in her eyes. What was I supposed to say to all that. I’ve always imagined that Alex loves me. His attitude and actions sometimes definitely show me the opposite.

“I’m not sure what I’m supposed to say after that…” I’m an idiot.

Bastos sniffled a little bit and let out a lighthearted laugh, “You don't have to say anything. I just thought that I'd clear the air...so you hate me a little less. You shouldn’t be ashamed of loving someone Sophia and we can all see that you are. I can assure you that EVERYONE knows, probably even your father. He’s just waiting for you to tell him. Do yourself a favor and stop pushing Alex away, cause everytime you do...he just finds comfort in some other womens bed."

With those last words, she unlocked the door and disappeared into the hall. My heart was racing and it felt like the bathroom might swallow me. Everyone knows about Alex and I…there is no way. I push Alex away, I'd never seen it that way before. I always thought he was the lying, cheating, scumbag.

When clearly I was the bitch here.