- Text Size +
We were in route back to the station when the dispatcher requested back up on Las Vegas Boulevard. Howie sped through the streets, lights flashing, siren blaring and my stomach churning. We stopped in front of the Flamingo casino where there were a few cruisers already parked and officers swarmed the back alley. Yellow tape blocked off the perimeter where pedestrians were not allowed. We both got out and questioned another officer who seemed to be in charge.

Frank and Alex pulled up and they both hopped out of the explorer, unlike us they didn’t wait for an explanation or permission to enter the crime scene they just walked right in.

I groaned. They always got to do the fun stuff. Then I remembered why…even thought didn’t want to admit it, Frank and Alex were the captain’s goons. So they did whatever the hell they wanted. Howie on the other hand was the mellow lay-low kind of cop. The officer who, if not asked to do anything, didn’t do it. We stood watching everyone else in action. This sucked.

“This is no fun.” I mumbled crossing my arms over my chest, like a bratty child.

Howie shrugged, “It’s not fun to have to go see that strangled hooker, whose eyes are probably wide open and go home to have nightmares of her staring at you; traumatizing that baby of yours.”

I smacked him and looked around “Shush. No one but you and I know about this right now.” My hand instinctively went to my stomach. It made me feel kind of giddy to know I had a Heidi of my own growing inside of me. The only bad part about it, was that I found myself wishing that it was Alex’s.

“You’re not going to tell Kevin…or is it Alex’s?”

“I’m pretty sure it’s Kevin’s.”

“I’m thinking I might need to take you to the Maury show, just to be on the safe side.” Howie snorted.

I rolled my eyes. “If you weren’t my brother I’d shoot you right now.” I hissed.

“Oh yeah, well you’d probably miss anyway. Come on let’s get some coffee.” He opened the door and hopped into the cruiser.

Just the thought of coffee made me gag as I took a seat and grabbed my seat belt. “I think I’m going to throw up.”

~~~~

Later that evening Hannah and I were both in our pajamas sitting at the kitchen table trying to piece together a unicorn puzzle. We were failing miserably.

“So how was school today?”

Hannah looked up at me and then back down at the puzzle pieces. She pretended to concentrate on the puzzle. “It was ok.”

I sighed. “Hannah banana what’s going on? You can tell me. Is someone picking on you again?”
She shook her head.

“Then what is it?” I placed my hand over hers and she looked up at me once again. It was evident in her eyes that something was wrong.

“I…it’s just that…I saw mommy yesterday.”

There was no way, last time we’d seen her she was in rehab. “Your mom?” she just shook her head again.

“I don’t want her to take me Aunt Sophia. Don’t let her take me.” Hannah stood up and hugged me.

I squeezed her tight. Although, I was a tough girl and a cop, I wasn’t too sure that I could keep Hannah from her own mother. She had all the rights.

“I won’t let anything happen to you. I promise.” I held her out at arm’s length and gave her a reassuring smile. “I love you banana.”

Our loving moment was interrupted by a knock at the door. I told Hannah to sit still while I answered. Carefully and quietly I checked through the peephole. The air was caught in my throat as I watched my sister scratching her arms and shifting from side to side.

“Open the fucking door Sophia.” She growled and covered the peephole with her finger.

I rolled my eyes and unlocked the door. It swung open instantly and she stormed in like she lived there. “Sure come in.” I mocked.

“I came for my daughter.” She said all fidgety. I could tell that she’d been released or had escaped from the rehab a few days ago and she was back on her highs.

Hannah jumped out of the chair knocking it over and hid in the corner. Angie stormed over and grabbed her by the arm yanking her forward. Quickly I was in between them both struggling to have the junkie let get of her daughter.

“Let her go Angie. You can’t just come up in my house and mistreat your daughter like that.” Aggressively I grabbed her arm and pride her fingers from around Hannah’s wrist. My little girl was already in a crying fit and I couldn’t blame her. “You need to get the fuck out. You’re high right now. Come back when you are sober.”

She shoved me, but I didn’t budge. “She’s my daughter…I want her back. You can’t keep her. HANNAH LET’S GO!”

“No mommy…no…”

I grabbed my older sister by the arm and dragged her towards the door. It wasn’t so easy, for she put up a fight, but I managed to get her to the door.

“Get the hell out of here and if you ever touch her like that again I’ll break your arm myself. She’s happy Angie…she’s doing just fine without you.”

“She’s my daughter…I need her.” Angie’s eyes weld up with tears; I just wasn’t sure for what reasons. Was she really sad and lonely and needed her daughters company? Or was she upset that she didn’t have anything to exchange for drugs. The thought angered me more and I shoved a babbling Angie out the door.

“Don’t come back here again.”

“She’s my daughter and I’m coming back for her you bitch.”

I was pretty sure she wasn’t lying about coming back for her daughter. That meant that I would have to make a sacrifice. Warm little arms wrapped around my legs. Hannah was shaking in her own skin, hell I was too. We both made way to my room and got cozy under my blankets. Once Hannah was sound asleep I grabbed the phone and dialed.

The phone rang a few times until I heard his soothing voice. “Sophia. Is everything alright? It’s two in the morning.”

My hands were shaking as I mustered the courage to answer him without crying. “We are fine. It’s just that…I need…I need you to take Hannah home with you.”