- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey all that are reading. I'm sorry I haven't been able to respond to your reviews, my phone won't let me sometimes. I really like reading the and appreciate you taking the time to R&R.

I was sitting on the edge of the tub, wondering where the hell the weekend had gone.

Pretty much down the drain for me. After Alex left the other night. I locked myself in my room for three days straight.

Nick was so worried about me, that he called Howie for back up, and they both spent a couple of hours trying to break into my room.

With no luck.

It was Monday evening, my chest was still a bit achy and my eyes were swollen from all the crying. I was freshly showered, and dreading having to put on my ugly khaki and funky brown uniform, that was folded over my bed. The boots I liked, they were steel toe, compliments of Howie. He said it was in case, I needed to kick someone in the nuts.

Such brotherly love.

Other than the uniform, I was ready to start the night shift. Of course, I had to survive dinner with the family…first.

It’s been tradition in my family that every Monday and Friday night mom makes us supper. Her excuse for Monday’s is that, they are hectic and everyone is too tired to cook. As for Friday’s, it’s the beginning of the weekend and it‘s always nice to unwind with the family.

Plus, it’s a reason to see us. Before we all disappear to do our own thing. I pressed down my shirt, fixed my badge and shifted in my seat. Why in the hell was I still sitting in the car? Usually, I couldn’t wait to see the family. Or eat mom’s chocolate cake. I heard from a little birdy, named DJ, that we were having that for dessert.

A loud tapping on the window, nearly made me jump out of my skin. My hand flew to my chest, and I spun around to check out the jerk.

“Soph…what are you doing in there?” Howie’s voice was muffled by the closed window.

Quickly running a hand over my still damp hair, I opened the door and stepped out. “You scared the shit out of me.” I smacked him twice.

“Touchy! I’m sorry…I was just surprised to find you sitting out here. Everyone is already inside. I just got off my shift.” He pulled the neck badge over his head.

Howie and Alex are part of the group of officers, who get to wear plainclothes. Hell, I wish I was that lucky. But if I do good for a couple months more. Maybe, just maybe I can join that group.

I let out a sigh, knowing damn well that Alex was in there. And that it was going to hurt like hell to see him again. “Yeah…I have to admit I was trying to muster the courage to go in.”

He gave me a once over and shook his head “You look like hell…dad is going to know immediately that something is up.”

“I know.” I bit the corner of my lip.

“Um…you know that I love you…right?” He started, as we walked to the front of the house and stood at the door.

People that start with that phrase, are usually going to hurt you in some way. I‘ve seen it on Jerry Springer. “Just spit it out.” I muttered, hesitantly twisting the knob to the front door.

“Well see…”

He hadn’t finished his sentence, when I swung the door open and I heard the stupid giggle. My stomach sank to the floor and my heart thudded forcefully in my chest.

She was here. Katy was in my parents’ house.

I would have walked out, if my mother hadn’t called my name. “Sophia…you are late hun!”

Biting on my cheek, I slowly looked up to face a table of staring people. Involuntarily, my eyes shifted over to the couple in the corner. She was smiling widely with her fake ass blue eyes, and flipping that bleach blonde hair of hers. He on the other hand, was dead serious and was glaring at me.

There were two options for me…One, was to run out the door, hop into my car and drive off. Two, was to put on a straight face and get through this hour of torture with my dignity still intact. I like that one.

Number two it is.

“Hey everyone. Sorry I was dreading putting on this damn uniform.” I started with my mom, kissing her on the cheek and went around the table…till I got to Katy. I gave her a fake smile and totally bypassed Alex.

Dinner was pretty quiet, with exception of DJ giving my mom and dad an update on the weekend and his school day. My parents had almost went into cardiac arrest when they found out about the shoot out at In N Out and DJ being hurt. They were happy to see him well.

Everyone else gave bits and pieces of their routines. With exception of a very quiet and pale looking Brian. I was making note to ask him how his vacation was, when my father decided to embarrass me.

“Sophia is everything ok?”

I snapped my head up, while poking at my piece of chocolate cake. That would usually be gone by now. “Yes…I’m just tired.”

“You look like you’ve been crying. Did something happen?”

Ha! Did something happen? He had no idea.

“No…I have no reasons to cry. Listen dinner was great, I should get running. I’m just going to wash up.” I stood up quickly and almost jogged upstairs to the bathroom.

I could feel heat on my cheeks and neck. How mortifying for him to ask me if I had been crying, especially at the dinner table. Shit.

They were probably all down there whispering to each other, what they thought my problem was. Every single one of them trying to assess the issue, right this moment. And I knew Nick and Howie would participate in throwing a couple of ideas out there. Just to keep from ratting me out.

It hadn’t been two minutes and someone was already knocking on the door. “What?“ I snapped, opening the door a crack. I was surprised to see Alex pushing himself into the bathroom. “Have you lost your fucking mind? Get out” I tried pushing him out, but that was in vain.

“I wanted to check up on you.”

“Well, I’m fine. NOW GET OUT!”

He placed a hand over my mouth, and sandwiched me against the sink. “Would you keep it down. All I need is for dad to come here, and kick my ass.” I knew better than anyone, that Alex wasn’t afraid of my dad. If not he was afraid of DOING something to my dad. Slowly he removed his hand, but kept me pressed against the sink.

“Fine…but your too close for comfort. Move back.”

He didn’t budge, instead his hands moved slowly up my thighs and rested on my waist. While my hands gripped the sink tightly. It was mostly from nervousness. Alex always makes me nervous.

“Why are you doing this?” He leaned forward, to whisper in my ear. He was breathing heavily, and his breath tickled my neck. I didn’t want to look up, because if I looked into his eyes…I would give up on my resolution and take him back.

His lips brushed against my ear, and I felt myself melting onto the linoleum floor. “Please Alex, you have to stop doing this. Don’t you have your girlfriend downstairs.”

“Not my girlfriend…” he whispered into my ear again.

Hesitantly I looked up and my stomach clenched as I looked into his hazel eyes. They were so beautiful and so sincere sometimes. Maybe he does love me.

Ugh.

I’m not giving into…

My mouth was covered by his. I fought against it, but he didn’t let me go and slowly I surrendered to the kiss. The room began to spin, and it suddenly got pretty hot in the bathroom. And if my phone hadn’t rang. I would have ended up on the sink.

“Hello!” I answered out of breath, holding the phone in one hand, and pushing Alex away with the other. “Kevin…yeah I’ll be there in a few…I’m at my parents house. Oh that’s…just my BROTHER!” I couldn’t help grinning at Alex’s perplexed look.

I never…ever called him my brother. I snapped the phone shut and glared at him. “I have to go.”

He stepped back and let me walk to the door. I spun around and looked up at him again, “Oh…and don’t kiss me again. Siblings don’t do those kinds of things.”

Rushing to get out, I didn’t notice my father standing a couple of feet away from the door. My stomach twisted in knots, something it was getting very used to and I could felt the color drain from my face.

“Who were you talking to?” he asked a bit confused.

The nerves had gotten to me, and I was blinking a mile a minute. I didn’t know what to say or do. Alex was in the bathroom, and I was afraid he would step out any minute. “I was talking to Kevin…he kissed me on New Year’s Eve and I see him like a brother you…know. So I was just…”

My dad, put an arm on my shoulder and pulled me into a hug. “My baby!” He caressed my head, like I was a five year old child. “I think you should have became a nun.”

Hell, that didn’t sound like a bad idea right about now. Alex must have heard my father, because he never came out. “It’s late dad, I better get to the station. I don’t want Kevin getting all pissy.”

We headed downstairs, where everyone was getting ready to leave too. “Hey I have a friend…he’s really hot. You should go on a date with him.” Leighanne suggested, as I picked up little Katy and I tickled her belly.

That’s all I needed.

“I’ll be your boyfriend aunt Sophia…" Baylee piped, with his toothy grin.

I bent over and gave him a kiss on the cheek, then ruffled his curls. "That's the best idea!"

“You know my doctor is pretty good looking…” Howie gave Leigh a look, and she just shrugged. “He is…and he’s young too Sophia.”

Was I the only one that found it weird, to go out with a guy that looked at vaginas all day. Worse than that, he’d looked at my sister-n-laws. EW.

“I think she should stick to being alone.” Alex muttered, coming from the kitchen. “Let’s get out of here Katy.”

My mother was giggling at our conversation, and reached over to hug Katy. “It was great to meet you. We’ve never met any of Alex’s girlfriends before.”

Nick snorted, “Yeah Alexander!” He mocked.

“I’m out of here…bye mom and dad.” I kissed everyone again, and was out the door. I was dying of jealousy…it was taking all my energy not to pull Katy’s hair out.

Within twenty minutes I was at the station, and hopping into the cruiser. Kevin was at the wheel, his brows furrowed and his eyes locked on the wall in front of him.

“Uh…is there something happening with that wall?” I asked sarcastically.

He snapped out of his trance and smiled, “No. I was just keeping busy. You look flustered.”

My cheeks warmed up again, as I placed my cool hands against my skin. “I just had dinner with the family. What do you think? Plus, they are trying to hook me up. UGH! I need to find a boyfriend so I can take him to the house and they will leave me the heck alone.”

Kevin was grinning from ear to ear, “Sounds really exciting. Maybe, you could take me to dinner sometime.” he gave me a look, an unknown look.

“Um…sure. I bet my family would love you.” I could feel myself blushing, and I had no idea why.

After the awkward moment we were off into the night.

I had always wanted to be an officer of the law, and not till four months ago, had my wish come true. Tests…physicals…credit checks…training at the academy and now a late shift in the worst area of Vegas.

Now that I was here, it wasn’t all I thought it would be.

Mostly Kevin and I found ourselves pulling over drunk drivers, picking up prostitutes, occasional accidents and sometimes if we were lucky we got some action with domestic violence calls. Those were usually a waste of time, because the woman always let the man come back to beat her again.

We had stopped at a donut shop to get some coffee. It was already around midnight and freezing. I busied myself staring at the steam, swirling out of my cup of coffee. Alex was still on my mind, and I was wondering if he was busy at work. Or busy with her.

“You ok? You’ve been a little out of it today.” Kevin broke my concentration.

I let out a sigh, sometimes I felt like confiding my problem to Kevin. But there was always the possibility that he would think of it as immoral. “I’m ok…just tired it was a long weekend and I’m beat.”

He moved a strand of hair from my face, and tucked it behind my ear. I had to admit, that there was something weird going on between Kevin and I. It was ever since that hug on New Year’s Eve.

“Well if you want to talk. I’m a good listener.” He grinned.

Before I could answer, the dispatch operator's voice floated through the radio. There was a domestic disturbance, just a couple of blocks from us. Kevin called in and we headed out to the drama.

When we got there, a couple was screaming at each other. The woman was throwing clothes out the door and the man had a bat in his hands.

“That’s my shit bitch!” he was shouting at the top of his lungs.

We both walked up and stopped a couple of feet away from the man. “Excuse me sir…you need to put the bat down.” Kevin requested his hand on his gun.

I was to the side of him, my hand was shaky as I felt the cold steel in my palm.

“Fuck no…not till she puts all my shit back. That bitch broke my nose.” He snapped, spinning around to look at us, his face was covered in blood.

“Oh I’m a bitch huh?” the woman yelled and disappeared into the house.

“Sir, I’m not going to ask you again to put the weapon down.”

Hell, bats can do some damage.

Just as the man put his hand out to throw the bat. BANG. BANG. Shots echoed in my ears. Then I felt a tightness in my chest, as I flew back and hit the cruiser.