- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for reading guys...sorry didnt have much time. hope you like

I I threw the pillow over my head to drown out the elevated voices coming from my living room. But it wasn’t working. I peeked at the clock. It was barely Seven-thirty. With a loud groan I flung the pillow across the room, threw the blankets off of me and stormed out my door and down the hall.  

The two lovebirds were standing face to face, looking hella pissed. Lauren looked sleep deprived, and upset. Her hair was a mess, face blotchy and her eyes were red. A sign of crying. Her arms were crossed over her chest.  

“You can’t just up and leave someone…and not give them an explanation Nick. That‘s not fair.” She snapped. Nick looked even worse. He had dark circles under his eyes, his lips were pale and he was looking a bit sickly. His hands were up in the air and his tone was…unlike I’d ever heard.

“That was the point. I didn’t want to give you an explanation. I just need time to be alone. Why can’t you understand that?” His voice was high and full of anger. 

Swallowing the knot of nerves in my throat, I padded into the living room and raised a hand. “Um…excuse me guys…it’s too damn early to be fighting.” 

“Stay out of this!” Nick demanded, pointing his finger towards the hallway.  

“What?” 

“You heard me…stay out of this. You can’t fix everyone’s problems you know.” He growled.  I looked at him startled.  There had to be something really wrong for him to be acting this way. He loved Lauren and wouldn’t just up and leave her. And now that she was here, he wouldn’t treat her the way he was. If there wasn’t a major reason for it. There had been the cheating confession last night, but was that the real reason for all the hostility? 

“Whatever!” I stated and headed back to my room.  

I threw on a pair of jeans, a clean shirt and my sweater and pulled on my boots. There was no way I’d hang out to keep hearing the lovebirds go at it. I needed more sleep. Without a word, I snuck past the bickering twosome and slammed the front door behind me.  

It doesn’t take long to get to Howie’s house. We are all about ten minutes from each other, with exception of Brian who lives on the opposite side of us. Groggily I hopped out of the car and headed to the front porch. My knuckles rapped on the door and I waited patiently for it to open. As soon as the door swung open, I stumbled into the house. Passed the kitchen. DJ and Leigh were sitting having breakfast, “Morning DJ…Leigh and Heidi.” I hollered continuing my trek down the hall like I owned the place. 

“Uh is everything alright?” Howie questioned. He was walking right behind me.

“You look like the living dead. You’re hair is a mess. Did you look at yourself in the mirror before leaving your place? Nevermind…obviously not.” 

I opened the door to the guest room, pulled the covers and nestled into the bed. “I just need to close my eyes for a sec…” I heard myself mumble. Closed my eyes and Howie’s voice faded.  When I woke up the sun was shinning through the curtains and right in my face.

I sat up and looked around. Then remembered that I was at Howie’s house. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes I stumbled out of the comfy bed, and padded down the hall.  

Classical music was playing in the living room. “Leigh” I whispered, peeking my head into the room. Leigh was in her exercising gear; a pair of maternity stretchy pants and a matching tank top.

She was sitting Indian style, eyes closed, hands clasped around her baby bump. There was a weird expression on her face, but I didn’t know what to make of it. Although she was trying to relax, something was causing her discomfort. Her eyes snapped open. Whoosh. She let out a long sharp breath.  

I smiled and gave her a quick wave. “Sorry I didn’t mean to interrupt you. I was just--” 

Whoosh. Another long sharp breath escaped her. “Oh…um…no worries. I was just finishing up. If you’re looking for Howard, he had a meeting on the other side of town. He won’t be available till later this evening.” Leigh leaned forward, set her palms on the carpet and pushed herself on all fours.  

Pregnant people are so weird. When Emma, my best friend since 3rd grade was pregnant with her third kid. I painfully watched her devour an ice cream and anchovy sandwich. It was incredibly disgusting. I don’t understand pregnancy, and probably won’t until it actually happens to me. For now, I’ll settle with watching after my nieces and nephews.   

“Are you feeling ok?” I had to ask. She was rocking herself back and forth. Breathing in and out heavily, and letting out a groan here and there.  

“Yes! No! Yes. It’s just these Braxton Hicks are kicking my butt.

That doesn’t sound good. Who or what the hell is Braxton Hicks? I watched her slowly pick herself up. Her hand was under her belly and she was still breathing heavily. I was starting to think that the smartest thing for me to do…was to get the hell out of here.  

“Well I should really get going. Thanks so much for letting me crash…it’s just that Nick and Lauren were up early in the morning arguing. I was so exhausted…” 

“Sophia, it’s ok. Why don’t you stick around and I’ll make you something to…ooooh. Good lord!” She bent down and let out a moan.  

My eyes went wide and my heart started to drum in my ears. “I’m starting to think this isn’t normal. Maybe we should try Howie? He might answer.” I stuck my hand in my pocket to get my cell. There was no cell. “Shit!”  

“No. Really I’m fine. I get these kind of pains all the time. Maybe, I should just sit down for a bit.” Leigh trudge over to the sofa and carefully settled herself on the sofa. “You just need to relax.”  

I needed to relax. “Um…I’m just going to make a phone call.” Quickly I made my way to the kitchen and snatched the cordless phone off the counter. I dialed Howie and got his voicemail. Dialed Brian and was informed he was attending an emergency. There was no answer when I called mom and dad. “No need to panic Sophia…you can handle this. It’s not like she’s having the baby right this moment.” I told myself out loud. 

“Hi!” Leigh appeared in front of me. Making me let out a yelp and jump back a couple of feet. “Sheesh…I’m the one having contractions here. Did you have any luck with Howard?”  

“Nothing!” Suddenly she let out a gasp and looked down at herself. My eyes followed her gaze and I noticed that it looked like she had peed herself. It wasn’t strange to me, Emma had confessed to many accidents during pregnancy.  I laughed nervously, “Um…that was an accident right?”  She thought about it for a heartbeat and then looked up at me wide eyed.

“No!” 

“I’m glad to hear….what? No?” Breathe Sophia. I brought the phone to my ear and realized I hadn’t dialed a number yet. Then fumbled with the numbers dialing Alex. It rang once and I heard his husky voice float through the phone.  

“Mclean here. What do you want?” 

“Jesus…is that how you answer to everyone? Nevermind…thank god you answered. It’s me…I need your help.” 

“What happened? Are you okay?” 

“Yes, I’m fine. It’s Leigh…I think she’s having Heidi.”

 Leigh bent at the waist and let out a shaky breath, followed by a long loud moan. “Nevermind…she is having Heidi.” 

“There is no way in hell…I don’t know shit about babies. Call someone else.” 

“You’re the only one that answered my phone call and I think I’m going to pass out.” I sucked in a breath, hoping it would calm my nerves. But the floor was starting to move from under me. 

“Hee…hoo…hee…hooo…”  

“Please Alex get your ass over here. I thought you loved me! I promise I’ll make it up to you. Her water just broke and she’s making weird noises. Meet me at the hospital NOW!” I hung up the phone and turned to look at Leigh. “What do I do?” 

“We are going…to the hospital…my bag is upstairs in the closet please. Hee…hoo…hee…hoo.”  

I called Sanchez and had him guide me to the hospital. Lights flashing and sirens shouting through the streets. We came to a sudden halt in front of the emergency entrance. By now Leigh was in a fit of whimpers and hee hoos, which I suspected weren’t working at all for her. Sanchez got out of his cruiser and helped me haul Leigh into the emergency room. Immediately nurses helped her into a wheelchair and rolled her away, promising they would come back with updates. I let out a sigh of relief. She was safely in the hospital and I hadn’t been subjected to see something come out of such private parts.  

“You look like you might pass out.” Sanchez commented, helping me to the nearest chair. He took his radio from his shoulder. Kssssh. “Mclean, what’s your twenty?”

Kssssh. “I’m parking right behind your cruiser.” 

His radio went off again, announcing a store robbery near Freemont, and I recognized the dispatcher‘s voice. “Well you will be fine now. You’re brother is here and I have to go. Good luck!” 

Absentmindedly I nodded and made a mental note to visit Emma, who was back at work from her vacation.  

“Hey babe.”  

“Hi” I mumbled.   

Beep. The doors to the main entrance pushed open and a nurse headed directly at us. She looked sleep deprived, but content with her job. I jumped out of my chair and stood next to Alex. We were both a bit confused. I know babies come whenever they want, but it can’t take five minutes to push one out. Can it?  

“Mrs. Dorough would like it if you could please come with me. We are unable to get a hold of her husband and she really needs some encouragement. She’s ready to push.” The young nurse gave us a weak smile.  

I felt my insides twist into a knot. There was no way I wanted to go encourage her to push out a baby. Where the hell was everyone when I needed them? My gaze moved over to Alex, who was looking a bit pale. His upper lip was curled in disgust, his hands in his pockets and he was rocking on his heels. His head nodding a vigorous NO.  

“Hell no! I’m not going anywhere near that room. I’m not about to see someone squeeze…”

He removed his shades and I saw the woman in front of me get flustered. Alex grinned smugly from ear to ear. My eyes rolled, and I gave him a nudge with my elbow.

“Yes we are BOTH coming in to support her.” Without a word I took hold of Alex’s hand and dragged him through the doors.  He was struggling against my grip, but I was holding on for dear life. There was no way I’d be the only one traumatized by this. Anyways, maybe this would teach him to appreciate women. Right? That thought actually made my lips curl into a smile.  

We were ushered into a brightly lit room. Where Leigh was laying, both legs pulled apart, with her knees bent and her feet were set into a couple of steel holders. The position wasn’t as troubling, I’d been in the same predicament for the yearly check up. That I tend to prolong.But the sight of blades, and other very torturous looking objects. Not to mention the nurse at the foot of the bed, doing what looked like digging into Leigh. Made it feel like the ground was moving again, and the butterflies in my stomach made me feel sick.   

“If you guys can stand on each side and help her with her knees.” The same nurse instructed, pushing me to the left side of the bed.  

Alex was standing across from me, looking ghostly, and frozen in place. “I really don’t want to do this. It’s not my place to do this. Where the hell is Nick or Brian? They are meant to do this kind of shit.” 

“It’s…not so…bad!” Leigh gave him a weak smile. “Holy crap…that one hurts…” one hand flew to grip the steel bars and the other one clutched Alex’s shirt. “I need this baby out now!!” She growled. 

“Do something…she’s freaking me out!” He snapped, trying to pry himself from her grip. 

“Just pretend it’s me.” Where did that come from? He looked at me dead serious.

“Babe, if this was you. You wouldn’t be here.” 

“What the hell does that mean?” Leigh yanked on him, and he was inches from kissing her belly. I could see the anger flushing his cheeks, but he was doing a good job containing himself.

“That means…that you are not getting knocked up anytime soon.” Panic covered his face. “You’re not, right?!?” 

I had no time to answer. Just then three different nurses began to set up a small section in the far corner of the room. I was guessing it was the area where the baby would be placed after delivery. Then the doctor waltzed in. He was calmly pulling on his gloves, while a nurse helped him with his gown. His voice was almost velvety smooth as he spoke to Leigh. Asking how she was feeling. Telling her she was ready to push.   

He took a seat on a stool right in front of her business. Other nurses crowded around and then we were requested to hold back her knees. I carefully placed my hands on the back of her legs and pulled back, not wanting to hurt her. Although, I’m pretty sure there couldn’t be anything more painful than what she was about to go through. She still had poor Alex in a vise grip, but he wasn’t saying a word.  

She was wailing now, face just as red as Alex’s, veins popping around her forehead. The hee hoo-ing had finally come to a stop and it sounded like she was howling.  There was a humming in my ears, and I really couldn’t make out what everyone was saying. I felt like I was swaying in place, and if I didn’t keep a hold on her legs, I’d tumble over. Get a grip Sophia. After a couple of deep breaths, I could hear everything around me.  

“Oh she’s crowning!” The doctors and nurses all cheered her on to keep pushing.  

I was curious what the hell crowning meant and I peeked my head over her legs. A wave of nausea rushed over me. "Holy…”  

“Is it bad?” Alex asked me, debating on taking a peek himself. Leigh was busy pushing and everyone else was telling her that the baby’s shoulders were almost out.  

Then he did it… Alex’s curiosity got to him and he slowly looked over her leg and towards the doctors hands. His mouth fell open, his eyes glazed over and in a snap of a finger…my tough man went down like a sac of sand.    

“Alex” I muttered, checking him out face down on the floor.

My thoughts were interrupted by a loud squeal and when I looked up there was a baby being handed over to Leigh. At the same time, the doors swung open and in stormed Howie. He flew to his wife’s side and planted a kiss on her forehead and took in his new baby.  

I couldn’t get enough of the moment.

Howie and Leigh both looked up at me and gave me thankful grins. The pain had washed away from Leigh’s face and was now replaced by pure happiness. Her eyes sparkled as she stared at the tiny baby girl that stared up at her. The moment was so intense…I no longer felt nauseated or faint. I forgot about Alex on the floor and realized I was shedding a couple of tears.  

So, this is what it’s like to bring a life into the world. A little life that you and the one you love conceive.  

I think I want a baby!