- Text Size +
As the thunder clapped and the lightning struck, everything seemed to be falling to pieces. The house was unusually quiet. Christina jumped as a loud clap of thunder sounded close by. First her parents went away for the summer and sent her to father to stay with her grandparents when they returned from their trip to Hawaii. To make matters wose, she had found out the day before leaving that her boyfriend, Matthew, was cheating on her, and with her best friend.
She sat her luggage down by the door and walked further into the house. She walked into the kitchen, its eloquent decore indicated that her grandparents were undenaibly rich. The white room was finned with shiny cooking utensils, brand new pots hanging from above the stove, which sat in the middle of the kitchen on an island. It was all to beautiful. The sink overlooked a rose garden at the side of the house, and the shiny silver refrigerator added even more light to the room. Looking at her image on the refrigerators surface, she noticed how horrible she looked. But what was she supposed to look like, after all she had been cheated on! What was she supposed to be doing, jumping up and down, hooting and hollaring?
She turned her back to her image and noticed a crisp white envelope on the bar with her name enscribed in her grandmothers' hand-writing. She opened it and the first thing she saw was five brand new one-hundred dollar bills. She took in a deep breath before pulling out the sheet of paper that held her grandmothers' words and insturctions to her.


Christina
Hi sweetheart. I'm sorry that your grandfather and I are not there. I hope and pray you arrive safely. We will be back hopefully at the end of the week. I know that you have been never been here so you won't know your way around. Across the street there is a woman by the name of Jane Carter. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask. She knows you're here and has volunteered to help. She should be checking up on you later in the day after you've arrived. The money in the envelope is for you. Use it to your hearts content. Go shoppping or go to a movie, but just have fun while we're not there. Well my dear, your grandfather and I shall see you when we return.

Love you sweetheart
Grandma

p.s. Your bedroom is at the top of the stairs, second door on the right.


She layed the letter back down on the bar and went back through the house to the front door where her luggage was. She grabbed two of the suitcases and walked with them over to the steps. She sat them down for a sedcond and took a deep breath in before lifting the heavy things.

'Ding Dong'

She looked back at the door with a puzzled expression on her face. It was still raining outside and she coulnd' imagine anyone being out in this soppy weather. She walked back to the door and peekd through the peep-hole. She noticed a tall you guy with striking blue eyes and drenched blonde hair. He was trying to shield himself from the rain by pushing himself as close to the door as her could.
She slowly opened the door, just enough to stick her head and half her body through.
"Uh, Hi, Can I help you? She asked looking up at him. He was obviously five inches taller than she was.
"Hi, I'm Nicek. I live across the street. My mom sent me over here."
"Why."
"She noticed you just got home and Edna told us you would be here today."
"Oh." She really didn't haev a response. She thought the letter said that a woman would be coming by, but instead she got him.
"So is everything fine, do you need anything?"
"Not that I can think of." A loud thunderbolt sounded nearby, causing her to jump and grip the doorknow tighter.
"Are you okay?" Nick asked, concerned and curious.
"Yea, its just I really don't like thunderstorms." To prove her point another sounded close again and she once again jumped. He chuckled lightly.
"Well, if you want to, you're more than welcomed to come over to my place, there's a lot of people over there and all the commotion might distract you from the storm, or if you would like, I could stay and keep you company."
"Well I still have to unpack, but if you'd like, you can come inside."
"Thanks." He released a sigh of relief. Finally out of the rain he was cold and wet. A feeling he hated. He noticed the suitcases on the landing of the stairs and volunteered to carry them up. She let him help her and the two of them whisked them into her new room.
"You've got the best room in the entire place." He commented.
"Really, why is that?"
"It's the biggest, and plus it has a balcony."
She walked over to the double doors that lead to the balcony and looked at the view. It was an ocean view, but it was still lovely. "Hey, isn't that your house?" She questioned.
"Yep, that's the Carter clan." He laughed.
"Well thanks for helping me carry these over here."
"Your welcome." There was an uncomfortable silence that parted the air. "So how long will you be staying." He asked, struggling to make conversation.
"Proabably all summer, I'm really not that sure."
"Have you ever been to Florida?"
"Nope, this is my first time."
"What do you think so far?"
"It rains too much." This sent him laughing again.
"It gets better, I promise."
"I hope so."
The two continued talking for a few hours. They'd discovered they had a few things in common and had all ready started to develope a friendship. They found out each others' age, he 19, and she 18. The found out some of their likes and dislikes in music. His obsession with Journey and hers with Jon Bon Jovi. Pretty soon, he realized it was time for him to get back to his humble abode and bid a good afternoon to Christina, befoere running back through the rain over to his house.