- Text Size +
Arriving at the hospital, Tiffany lead Melanie to where Kelly was. She was in intensive care, where Nick was. “Kel, it’s me, Mel. I’m here sweetie.” Melanie cried holding Kelly’s hand. Melanie was informed that Kelly had overdosed on some cocaine. Kelly had done this in the past but was over it. She had been clean for a couple of years. Her parents sent her to a private clinic to clean up.

“Why?” Melanie cried to Tiffany.
“I don’t know. I came home from work last night and found her on our bed unconscious.” Tiffany explained.
“Has she been with anyone unusual lately? Someone she hasn’t told me about?” Melanie asked.
“None, whatsoever. Although....” Tiffany replied.
“Although what? Tiff tell me.” Melanie pleaded with her.
“I know the last couple of days she has been distant and moody. I was mentioning my parents about seeing them this weekend and started getting all bitchy with me. I’m starting to think she may have been in some contact with your parents.” Tiffany explained.
“Mom and Dad have disowned us...why would they want to talk to Kelly?” Melanie wondered.
“I don’t know.” Tiffany replied.
“Maybe she wanted to try and work things out?” Melanie sighed looking at Kelly lie there on the bed.
“Does Nick know?” Tiffany asked, knowing about his past.
“No, no one does.” Melanie replied.
“Hey.” Melanie and Tiffany turned around, Nick was at the door. Melanie just got out of her chair, ran past Nick out of the door and through the emergency exit stairs.

“Mel, Mel wait up.” Nick called after her running down the stairs chasing after her.
“Leave me alone.” Melanie cried running away. Nick managed to catch up to her.
“What’s wrong?” Nick asked.
“I can’t do this Nick. I can’t. It has to end here.” Melanie told him through her tears.
“End what? Mel, I don’t understand.” Nick asked confused, his hands on her arms trying not to let Melanie go.
“Us...we can’t go on.” She told him.
“Why?” He pleaded confused.
“I just can’t. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” Melanie replied.
“Mel, you can talk to me. What’s going on?” Nick asked. “Nothing shocks me these days. You can tell me anything.” He added putting his arms around her, comforting her.
“It’s Kelly.” She quietly said.
“What about Kelly? Mel, start from the beginning.” He asked as they moved towards a park bench.

Hunched over on the bench, her head bowing down trying not to look at Nick, she took a deep breath in. “I didn’t think I would have to tell you this. I thought this would be in the past.” She sighed.
“We all have a past and sometimes it comes back and we have to face it.” Nick told her.
“When Kelly first came out to me that she was gay, she was fine and everything. Nothing bothered her in life. I had no problem with it. The only one that had the problem and still does, is our parents. Kelly would start being rebellious doing things. Then one night I discovered how rebellious she was.” Melanie began to explain.
“One does get rebellious, I’ve been there, done that.” Nick added.
“This one night, I was going into her room like I normally did and her door was completely shut. Normally it’s ajar. I knocked on her door and quietly walked in. Kelly was snorting cocaine.” Melanie continued not looking at Nick.
“Shit.” Nick said.
“Shit indeed.” Melanie replied.
“You wondered how I would be with this?” Nick asked leaning down to Melanie.
“Yeah, with you and AJ especially.” Melanie replied wiping a tear from her face, face still down.
“We’ve dealt with it, we’ve been there and done that. While yeah it’s a battle we face every day, AJ more, it’s alright. Mel, I’m not going to leave you for that. I love you too much.” Nick told her.
“You’re not?” She asked surprised.
“No of course not.” He replied smiling at her, bring her closer to him, holding her tight.
“I thought...” She began to say.
“Well you thought wrong.” He cut in.

Back upstairs in the hospital room, Nick and Melanie walked back in, holding hands. “You right?” Tiffany asked as she sat up straight.
“Yeah.” Melanie sighed leaning on Nick. At that moment, the Doctor walked in.
“I’ll be outside.” He said and left Melanie and Tiffany with the Doctor.

“What’s happening?” Tiffany asked as she held onto Melanie’s hand, sitting on the arm rest of the chair.
“Still no change. There is no response.” He answered.
“No response?” Melanie asked puzzled. Tiffany and the Doctor looked at each other.
“Mel, Kel’s brain......brain.....” Tiffany tried to tell her.
“No, no, please don’t tell me that.” Melanie began to cry.
“We don’t know on how long she was without oxygen.” The Doctor told her.
“Kel’s always had you as Next of kin.” Tiffany whispered, tears streaming down her face, looking at Melanie.

Melanie just sat in silence staring at Kelly. She was gone. Machines were breathing for her. She and Tiffany saw the 2 Doctors who came in and a nurse conduct the final tests to confirm Kelly had died. “I can’t do it. I can’t.” Melanie cried to Tiffany, who were both holding each other.
“I can’t either.” Tiffany cried back. They continued to hold each other while looking at Kelly. It was a while before Melanie spoke.
“This isn’t Kelly either.” She said.
“Yeah.” Tiffany whispered. They pressed the buzzer for the nurse to come in. When the nurse left, she left the door open ajar. Melanie realising Nick was still there. “It’s ok.” Tiffany told her. She let go, Melanie walked to the door, Nick meeting her.
“She’s gone. We’re turning off the machine. This isn’t Kel.” Melanie told him.
“Babe, I’m sorry.” He said.
“I don’t know how long we’ll be. You go on home, I know your exhausted. I’ll call you later.” Melanie replied.
“It’s alright, I’ll stay out here.” He said.
“Please Nick. I don’t know on how long we will be and I know that your kinda freaked out by being here. I don’t blame you.” Melanie replied.
“You call me. I’ve got my phone alright.” He said as he hugged her, Tiffany standing next to her. Nick then gave her a hug. “That goes for you too. You call me and all.” He added.

Two hours later they walked out of the hospital, silent, stunned. “You want me to give you a ride back to Nick’s? You’ll have to let me know the way.” Tiffany asked as they walked to Tiffany’s car.
“You’ll be going to your Mom’s won’t you?” Melanie replied.
“Yeah, but I don’t mind driving you there.” Tiffany told her. Apart from giving direction to Nick’s place, Tiffany and Melanie were in the silence. When they got out of the car, they hugged, Melanie said she would call in the morning to make arrangements. Nick was there at the door, waiting for her in open arms.