- Text Size +

Chapter Three 

Over the next few months, I hardly gave ‘the list’ another thought, I wasn’t sure any of it was even a possibility, so decided to carry on with reality.  After all, thirty was still a long way off. 

I was in work one day, nothing out of the ordinary, when one of my colleagues was talking about an open evening at the local college.  I had a look at the information brochure and noticed that they had quite an extensive language section.  Hmm, wasn’t learning a language on my list?  But which language did I go for?  My heart was saying Russian, I don’t know why, maybe it had something to do with loving the film Doctor Zhivago, or the many stories I’d read about the mysterious Anastasia Romanov and her family when I was young.  But, my more sensible side was telling me to learn something more practical, like French or Spanish, something I could actually use.  Did I go with my heart or my head?  I decided that I’d go to the open evening and make my decision then. 

My mind was easily made up at the open evening.  The Russian teacher was miserable looking old git who did nothing to sell the course; I knew then that I wasn’t going to be going down that avenue.  If I really wanted to learn Russian, I’d have to have a teacher who at least looked interested in teaching it. 

Spanish on the other hand was looking VERY promising!  There was quite a gathering around the Spanish teacher and no wonder, he was drop dead gorgeous and seemed very passionate about teaching.  I was also impressed to see that he was actually Spanish, his name was Enrique Iglesias.  I quickly signed up for his class before it filled up and just hoped I’d be able to concentrate on the lessons instead of ogling the teacher. 

Later that evening I gave Jess a call to let her know that I was ticking something off my list. 

“Well, you can’t really tick it off yet Steph; you’ve not even begun the course” she laughed “but well done for going for it”. 

“I have a feeling I might enjoy Spanish” I giggled. 

And I did enjoy Spanish.  It was hard going, but so rewarding when I could actually recognize words and speak it a little.  Enrique was a great teacher and made us want to do well in the subject.  I passed the course at the end of the year but decided not to progress to the second level.  Did I really need to speak it fluently?  Wasn’t it enough that I’d be able to get by if I ever holidayed there?  So that was that.  I could tick it off my list.   

One down, nine to go! 

~*~ 

It was the week before payday and I was almost broke.  Great, Saturday night in front of the TV alone again.  I decided I needed chocolate as there was none in the house, so I walked down to the local shop.  For some reason, I felt the urge to buy a lucky dip lottery ticket, I don’t know why as I’m never that lucky.  But it was worth a go, it could happen to anyone, right? 

I wasn’t going to watch the lottery, but seeing as Westlife were on there performing their new single, I felt compelled to watch, and after all, they were one of my favourite bands.  God, that Nicky Byrne is fit! 

“And now, those all important lottery numbers” said Duncan James, who was presenting the show that week “good luck everyone”.  With that he pressed the button and I watched to see if any of my numbers would come up.  I didn’t hold out much hope as I never won anything. 

“And the first number out is 24” 

I looked down at my ticket and noticed that I had it. 

“…second number is 5…” 

I looked down and saw I had that one also OK Steph, dont go getting excited yet, you need more than two numbers to win anything. 

“…third number is 31…” 

Woohoo, Ive won £10 

“…fourth number is 9…” 

Now I was beginning to get excited, four numbers! 

“…fifth number is 42…” 

“Oh my god” I shouted out in excitement, five out of five numbers so far. 

“…sixth number is 37 and the bonus is number 2” came the voice on the TV.

 I double checked my ticket, and then checked it again just to be sure.  Oh my god, was this for real?  Had I really matched all six numbers on the lottery?  Oh my fucking god. 

“Now what do I do?” I muttered to myself, and then turned the ticket over to read the back for instructions on how to claim my prize.