- Text Size +
Chapter 4


(Nick and Nicki)

As Nick drove to the party he held Nicki’s hand and every now and then looking at the rings on both of their fingers. He couldn’t believe they actually did it. They actually were husband and wife. He knew their friends would freak when they found out. Nick and Nicki were planning on having a small wedding next fall.

“Baby can you grab my cell phone. I think I just heard it go off.”
“Sure.” Nicki let go of his hand and reached down in her purse(she carried everything for him). She pulled it out and flipped it open. “Looks like you have a text from Brian. He’s probably wondering where you are.”
“Go ahead and find out what he wants. I mean we haven’t been gone that long.”
Nicki pressed the button to read the message Brian had sent Nick. She was kind of puzzled by what it said.
“What’s it say baby?”
“County Gen.”
“That’s it.”
“That’s it. Do you think he is at County Gen?”
“I don’t know but I guess we could drive over and found out.”
“OMG What if something happened to Min or someone.” Nicki started to worry.
“Calm down baby. You have to stay calm.” He said putting his hand on her belly.


(Brian and Min)

Brian walked over to Min and held her while she cried.
“This can’t be happening.” She said as Brian rocked her back and forth. “Nick said he was going to get me a surprise. It’s all my fault.”
“Min it’s not your fault.”

An hour had passed and she finally managed to pick herself up and pull a chair next to him. She sat down and took his hand in hers. She kissed the back of his hand.
“AJ I’m here sweetie.”

Brian stepped out of the room to let Min have a couple of minutes alone with AJ. He needed some fresh air anyway.

Just as Brian walked outside and to a bench he saw Nicki and Nick walking towards the hospital. ‘Shit’ he thought to himself. He has to tell Nick and Nicki now what’s going on.

“Hey Bri. I got your message. What’s going on?”
He got straight to the point. “AJ was in a car accident earlier. That’s why he never made it to graduation.” Brian said as he put his head down. “He’s in a coma.”
Nicki instantly started to cry and fell to her knees. She couldn’t understand how something like this could happen to one of her friends.

Nick couldn’t believe what he had just heard. He suddenly realized Nicki wasn’t standing by him anymore. He looked down and saw her on her knees. “Baby please calm down.” He said as he picked her up and sat her down on the bench next to Brian.

“Where is Min?” Nick managed to get out. He had to worry about Nicki and now AJ.
“She’s in there with him now. I thought I would give her a few minutes alone with him.”
Brian turned to Nicki and put his arm around her. “It will be ok.” With his free hand he took her hand in his and squeezed it. When he squeezed he noticed she had a ring on her finger. He figured it was just a gift from Nick for graduation.

More of their friends and family had started to show up. Brian greeted each one. The word had spread fast through town what had happened.

“Nick I’m gonna go inside. It’s too cold out here.” She said wrapping her arms around herself as she walked inside with another friend.
“I’ll be in a few baby.” He said as he kissed her hand before letting her go. And mouthed ‘I love you’ to her.

Nick and Brian sat down on the bench outside, both needing to be alone and the cool air seem to help keep them calm.
“I can’t believe this man.” Nick managed to say as he put his head in his hands.
Brian looked over at his friend and also noticed a ring on his finger. Something weird was going on tonight.
“I can’t believe it either. But not to get off the subject of AJ. What’s this on your hand?” Brian said hitting Nick’s left hand where the ring is.

Nick sat up and looked at Brian. “Nicki and I went to the court house and got married.”
“That’s what your plans were” Brian said as he smiled. “Congrats little man.”
“Yeah some wedding night for Nicki and I.” Nick said.
“I didn’t even know you two were engaged. I thought I was your friend.” Brian said giving him a little shove.
Nick let out a little laugh thinking back to the day it all happened.

(2 months Earlier)

“What’s wrong baby?” Nick asked sitting on the edge of Nicki’s bed.
“I’m pregnant Nick.” She said turning to face him with tears rolling down her face.

He looked at her for a moment trying to gather what she had just said. “Are you sure?”
“I went to the doctor today and I’m 2 months along.”
“Your mom hates me doesn’t she.” Nick said as he put his head in his hands. He couldn’t believe he had gotten Nicki pregnant with just 3 more months to go til they graduated.
“She doesn’t know. No one does. I went by myself.”
“Baby I’m sorry.” He said now holding her in his arms. “You know I love you right.”
“Yes.” She said as she laid across the bed. Nick moved next to her leaning on one side. He put his hand on her belly and looked at her in the eyes.
“I’ll be there for you always Nicki. I’m not going anywhere.” He leaned over and kissed her. “I was going to wait till after we graduated to ask you to marry me. I don’t have a ring yet. Baby or no baby Nicki I love you and I do want you as my wife and to have kids with.”
Nicki laughed. “Is this your way of asking me to marry you?”
Nick blushed a little as he rubbed her belly. “Will you?”
“I’d love to marry you carter.” She said as she smiled.
“Would it be too soon if we got married graduation night?”
“Nick what are you talking about.”
“Us going to the court house and making it official.” He said sitting up now. “I don’t want our baby coming into this world with us not married Nicki.”
“You really wanna do it Graduation night.”
“It would be the perfect beginning to our lives. We end one chapter and start a new.”


(Back to Present Time)

“So you guys just decided to get married for no reason. She didn’t want a wedding with family or friends.”
“We are going to do that next fall.”
“So you did it tonight why?”
“It just felt right.” Nick said trying not to mention that Nicki was pregnant. This was not the time or place for that.

The two walked back inside into the waiting room. Brian walked over to Nicki and leaned down and hugged her.
“Congrats.” He whispered in her ear.
She looked at him like she was lost. She wasn’t sure what he knew.
“I saw the rings. Nick told me.” He said as he let a smile appear.
“Thanks Bri.”
“Take care of him for us ok.”
“I will.”
Brian kissed her forehead and headed back to the room with Min.
Nick sat down beside Nicki and she leaned her head on his shoulder.