- Text Size +
Chapter 6


Nicki and Nick had waited a little bit longer before walking into the room. As they waited Nicki had adjusted her baggy shirt for the millionth time. Nick just laughed at her.
“What?” She whispered.
“You can barely tell but I have to say I think its cute.” He said rubbing her belly that had, now at 6 months, started to pouch out a little bit. Nick loved the way Nicki looked pregnant, she was beautiful. “She’s going to find out in about 3 more months you do know that right.”
“I know but I just can’t bear to tell her Nick.”
“I know baby. I haven’t really told anyone.”
“Me either.”

Nicki and Nick’s parents were thrilled when they found out the two of them ran off and got married. Not so thrilled when they found out they were going to be grandparents. It took them about a month to get used to the idea. Now all parents were excited to welcome their grandchild into this world.


A few moments later they had decided to walk in and see how Min was doing.
“Hey.” Nicki said as she leaned over to hug her friend.
“Hey guys.” Min said softly still holding AJ’s hand.
“How are you doing?” Nick asked.
“I’d be better if he’d open his eyes.”

Nicki realized this was not the time to bring up college to her. She started thinking that what if it had been Nick. She would do the same thing Min had been doing.. putting her life on hold.

“Min do you need….” Nicki had started to say when she felt the baby kick for the first time.
“What?” Nick and Min asked at the same time.
“Um… do you need anything.” She said adjusting herself in the chair. She was getting better at hiding the pregnancy. She was thankful she hadn’t gained that much weight her doctor on the other hand was not.
“No I’m good.” Min said looking at AJ.

Brian soon appeared in the room with all of them. He walked over and hugged Min and knelt down by her.
“I’ll leave you guys alone. I’m going to go take a walk.” Nicki said as she stood up and walked out of the room. She couldn’t take seeing AJ like that or Min. She wanted everything to go back to that night before the accident. She wanted AJ alive and well. She wanted Min back.

She walked through a door and headed to the nursery. She needed to get away for a just a minute.

“What’s with Nicki? She’s been acting funny lately.” Brian asked as he sat in the chair.
”Not sure what you are talking about.” Nick said fulling knowing what he was talking about. Nicki was getting more emotional by the day. And she could never get comfortable. He hadn’t told Brian the news about the baby yet. And so far he was the only one besides family that knew about them being married.

Kevin and Shawn were headed towards AJ’s room when they saw Nicki leaning up against the wall not looking for good.
“Nicki is everything ok.” Kevin said looking at her as he put his arm behind he back to take her over to the bench.
“I’m fine.” She managed to get out. She was trying to fight the pain in her stomach. But it kept getting worse.
“Nicki you don’t look fine.” Shawn said sitting by her friend. Kevin had knelt down in front of her.
“Really guys I’m…” Another pain had hit. She knew this wasn’t good. “Can one of you get Nick for me please.” She said trying to sound calm. “He’s in AJ’s room.”

“I’ll go Kev you stay with her.” Shawn said as she headed towards AJ’s room.
A nurse happened to walk by and saw Nicki sitting on the bench with Kevin in front of her.
“Are you ok sweetie?” she asked as she took Nicki’s wrist and started taking her pulse.
“No.” She said as she started crying. “I’m getting sharp pains and I’m 6 months pregnant.”
The nurse ran over to the phone and paged something over the intercom but Kevin was to in shock to even hear what the nurse had said.
“Nicki why didn’t you tell….”
”We didn’t want to after what happened to AJ.” She said crying now. “I’m going to lose my baby aren’t I.”
“Calm down Nicki. Everything will be ok.” Another man had came over in a doctors lab coat along with the another nurse who brought a wheel chair.
“Are you the father?”
“No.”
“Ok I’ll need you to stay here than sir.”

Before he could say another word they had taken Nicki back into the Women’s Wing of the hospital.