- Text Size +
“Yes room 201,” Amber answered to the man taking her order. She had chosen a hotel near to where she had spent her night with Alex. The casino they had gambled there money at could be seen from the second floor window of her hotel. She smiled as she finally walked away from the window and took a seat on the single bed.

She began to debate on her decision to look for him. Did she really love him? In such little time could she have fallen for him? She sighed heavily as she walked to her suitcase and pulled out her fake ID the only memory she had been able to keep from her time with Alex.

She knew he was still in Vegas and that gave her hope that maybe if she looked good she would find him. Yet her moral side told her to run now that she could and forget him. She was in turmoil trying to decide what she wanted to do.

She could almost see her grandmother tell her the many reasons why Alex was not suitable for her. She even giggled as she pictured her grandmother telling her…

“He doesn’t believe in love or in morals. He’s a thief; he smokes and look at his appearance. No dear Amber you need someone that knows how to treat a woman, someone that looks like a gentleman and that believes in what you believe.”

She sighed, “Normally I would listen to you Grandma but maybe this time I will let the devil win…” she smiled as she said that out loud. She could now picture the devil telling her exactly how much fun she would have if she chose to find Alex.

She pictured Jesus being tempted by Satan himself when he was here on earth and how Jesus was strong enough to tell him no all three times. Not even hunger or the idea of being the governor of the world made Jesus give in.

She bit her lip and began to hate the fact that she knew so much about what was right in god’s eyes. She for once understood why her father always told her to find a boyfriend that had her same beliefs.

Yet she also understood Alex’s point of views. It was like he also made sense in something’s anyway. Not in love he had said it himself he had finally fallen in love and with her. She smiled as she replayed his small yet powerful speech before he left her for good.

“Sorry grandma, but I think this time I am going to choose to do what my heart tells me.” she said out loud to no one but she felt that way she could get the strength to find him.

She was startled by the knock on her door. She opened it and there stood her pizza, “Oh thank you that was fast.” She told the young man a she paid him. “Keep the change,” she told him. “Quick question,” she told the young man before he could leave. “Do you know of any other hotels nearby?”

“Well close to this one or this area there is only two more. Flamingo Inn but that one doesn’t have a good reputation… well you know what I mean. Then there is the Ramada Inn and this one Two Palms Inn.” The young man told her, then he smiled and walked away.

She closed the door smiling, “well for sure he is not at the Ramada,” that’s where they had been staying when they had arrived. So either he was staying here or at the Flamingo Inn. He couldn’t be at the Flamingo she thought as she saw the face the pizza man had made at the mention of that hotel.

***********

After realizing it was too early to find a descent bar open he had come back to his hotel room and there he drank his sorrows away. Of course he had made a pit stop at a liquor store, “Why is this killing you Alex?” he asked himself as he played with the picture in his hand.

He was vehemently sure that he would never find love. He had grown in a home where love was not really there. Well except for his grandparents but that was because they had been brought up the old fashion way.

He smiled a little as he remembered his grandpa Adolf tell him that a woman was like a flower delicate and beautiful. He always kept that in his head, his grandfather was the reason he always tried to make a woman feel like she was one of a kind. Manners were part of his childhood education. He never told anyone about being taught etiquette by his grandparents.

He wished he could turn back time, to be exact to six years earlier when he was seventeen. The day his grandmother had sat him down after she had seen him flirting with a neighbor. He would have paid more attention to her instead of arguing to her that he would never fall in love.

He remembered he had told her he would only fall in love if he could find someone like her. “They don’t make girls like you anymore grandma,” he had told her as he had kissed her forehead.

He hadn't realized he was crying till he felt a tear roll down his chin. “Love… LOVE!” he said sternly throwing Amber’s picture across the room. It landed on the floor, he smiled and then he took another sip of the Hypnotic bottle.

“Maybe she left back to her house. Where she should be at!” he told himself as he lit a cigarette. He looked at the clock on the side table, “Time to go.” Now there would be a descent bar to get the good liquor. The liquor that made you forget for a good while. Maybe he could also find a heart replacement, it would not be the same but he knew he would never find Amber.

He dialed the familiar number, “Yes I need a taxi, and I am at the Two Palms hotel room 106.” He told whoever had answered. If he wanted he could always find Sandy but at this moment she was only repulsive to him.

*******

She looked at herself on the mirror she looked older right? She looked at the girl on her fake ID and then at herself again. “Confidence,” she told herself reassuring herself she could pull it off.

After walking to her car she took a deep sigh and began to reverse when she had to brake, “Oh my god,” She said realizing she was about to hit a cab. She let the cab park and then she again tried to pull out, at that moment she wished Alex would have been there.

“God I know you hate me right now but if you do love me help me find him. I need to find him…” she said out loud hoping god would hear her. She sighed heavily as she finally was out of the parking space and then as she looked up she saw who was coming out of a hotel room. “Alex?”

She wanted to call him but instead she let him get in the cab, she had to work up the nerve to tell him she loved him too. How was she going to do it? Would he even care anymore? Had she hurt him too much? She opted to follow him instead keeping up to the taxi cab.

A few blocks later he was getting off at Cool River Bar, she smiled as she went to look for a parking space. She had to at least apologize right? She had no idea how she was going to do it but it was apparent to her that her prince charming was not very charming. Not in the way she had dreamt it would be… and even though he was a little or big time different it was still okay. She liked him like that.

After walking a little she made it to the entrance of the bar and after looking at her a few times they let her in. The bar was full and she strained her eyes to find Alex. She smiled when she saw him sitting alone with a glass of some type of liquor in hand. She was going to begin to walk toward him when a hand grabbed her arm, “Hello beautiful… you look lonely and I am lonely why don’t we get together? Have some fun, I know this nice club not far from here or we can go to my place if you like.”

Amber could smell the liquor and beer on the man it made her almost throw up, “No thanks I am actually not –” she was then surprised by the angry look on the mans face.

“I said you’re going with me,” he began to pull her.

“NO please let me go,” she began to struggle out of his grip. She was beginning to panic and she turned toward Alex but he was not even aware of what was going on. Finally she kicked the man shin and began to run back toward Alex. “Alex!” she yelled but again the man had already gotten a hold of her again.

Alex turned as he heard his name at the same time laughing realizing he was now hearing her voice, “great I really am going crazy.” As soon as he finished saying those words though he saw that he wasn’t imagining it she was there. He soon saw someone was pulling her toward the exit and without thinking it twice ran toward her. “Hey let go of her!”

Amber sighed in relief as she heard Alex. Then there it was Alex was on top of the man just beating the crap out of him. Soon people were gathering around and Amber knew she should get him out of there. “Alex,” she yelled pulling on him. “Let’s go before security gets here,” she didn’t have to repeat it twice when Alex was already pulling her out of the bar.