- Text Size +
“What’s wrong princess?” Alex asked Amber as he helped her with her suitcase.

Amber sighed and looked at her husband’s happy face and then to the house she would be staying at till god knew when. But if Alex was happy that’s all that matter, “I’m a little nervous.” She told him as she eyed his new family consisted of Bob McLean his father, Robert McLean his half brother, Claire McLean his half sister and his stepmother Terri McLean.

“Don’t be they are going to love you. I mean my dad is anxious to meet you.” He gave her a sincere smile and kissed her forehead as they walked up to his father house. “Hey we’re here.” He told his father who walked up to him hugging him.

“Thanks for accepting our invitation son; I’m glad you came to find me.” He said as he finally let go of him and turned his gaze at his so called wife. He smiled at her and he could not deny she was pretty, “you must be Amber,” he told her embracing her.

Amber was caught by surprise as she felt her father in law’s embrace? She couldn’t really accept that because if she remembered clearly he had never been there for Alex. Something was not right she just couldn’t figure it out yet. “Yes,” she said as she awkwardly hugged him back.

“Honey lets get them in and settled,” Terri said with a smile as she went in to embrace Alex and then Amber. “Julie please help with there stuff.” She told the maid.

Amber smiled at Alex when she felt his hand take hers squeezing it to reassure he everything would be fine. “You’ll be fine… I love you.” she heard him whisper in her ear as they walked into the house that just yesterday they had been in.

*********

She moaned as Alex pulled away. “Just one more,” she told him as she took his face and kissed him again.

“Princess we don’t want to be late for our first dinner now do we?” Alex said smiling into the kiss. “How do I look? Presentable?”

Amber pouted and then stared at him a small smile playing on her face, “You look very handsome in a tie.”

“Thank you, nothing compared to you.” he said checking her out. “The dress looks gorgeous on you.” he said kissing one more time before taking her hand in his and walking out of the guest room they now occupied.

“We’re not late are we?” Alex asked as they made it to the dinner table. But stopped when he realized that his family was not the only one there.

“Son please do join us, I want you to meet to meet a colleague of mine John Meyer and his daughter Simone Meyer.” He said as he introduced him. “John this is my son from my first marriage Alexander McLean.”

Amber watched in silence as her father in law completely ignored her and only introduced Alex to his friends. But she did not want to ruin this night for Alex so she silently slipped away in search of the restroom where she could calm the anger and disappointment she felt at that moment.

“Well hello sister in law,” Robert said as he followed her down the hall.

“Robert,” Amber smiled politely hoping he would leave her alone.

“You look gorgeous,” Robert said as he kissed her cheek. “I hope my behavior yesterday didn’t put a strain between us. I honestly did not know who you were married to. But I do have to say that if I were married to you I would not let you out of my sight at all.”

“No hard feelings Robert now if you’ll excuse me,” she said leaving him there as she saw the restroom door. She sighed heavily as she closed it… what had she gotten herself into? She could clearly feel all the phony roles his family was portraying to her Alex. How could Alex not see it? The knock on the door startled her.

“Ma’am we are just waiting on you to serve dinner,” the maid said as she left again leaving her alone.

She took a deep breath and consoled herself with the fact that soon they would leave and continue there plans to travel.

*******

Amber finished combing her hair into a ponytail when she saw Alex walk in smiling at her. “I had a wonderful time didn’t you?” he asked as he wrapped his arms around her.

“It was a nice dinner,” she said not wanting to ruin anything for him she would endure what she had to till there last day in that retched house.

“Mr. Meyer was impressed to know about me knowing Mechanics. He’s such a nice guy and his daughter was also very nice. I already told you they invited to dine with them the day after tomorrow?”

“Yeah you did,” Amber said a little annoyed as she remembered just how nice that Simone had been. She had been very touchy feely with her husband even if Alex always found a way to make her understand he was married.

“I feel so happy princess my father loves me and according to him my mother was the one to tell him to leave.” Alex said a little hurt.
“I think you should really find out who is saying the truth Alex. You’re mother loves you and I don’t think she would do such a thing as keep you from seeing your father.” Amber told him a she leaned into him hugging him.

“You’re right princess but I can sort of see it. My mother has been a little ambitious with other things maybe I was what she used to get my father back for moving on. I know I shouldn’t think it that way but now your right I have a lot to investigate.”

“Alex just promise me you’ll speak to your mother before making any conclusions.” Amber told him as she kissed his neck.

“Amber can I ask you something?” Alex asked as he kissed her back.

“Yes of course.”

“I get this feeling that you’re not being completely honest with me. Is something bothering you?” he asked as he caressed her cheek.

Amber laughed nervously and shook her head. “I’m just really nervous and I don’t want your father to think of me less. Besides seeing all this makes me wonder about my father and mother.”

“Princess my father loves you I can see it already. I also promise we will go see your parents too and they will accept you as you are. They just need time that’s all.” he hugged her and carried her to the bed. “If not princess you got me and I am going always be here for you.” he kissed her tenderly smiling as he saw tears come down her face.

“I love you too.” She told him not sure about anything with all the she saw unfolding in this house. She only prayed that soon they both would be out of there and back to what they had started in Vegas.