- Text Size +
She jumped startled and then pretended to look out the window. She had for a second let sleep win her over but she couldn’t sleep knowing a stranger was driving her car! She held a yawn and pretended to see in the dark.

“Hey I thought you were gone till the morning.” Alex said looking at her. “Go back to sleep we still have a long way to go.”

“I’m not tired…” she mumbled finally staring back at him. “How much longer to a rest area or something I need to use the ladies room.”

“Oh ok well I’ll exit the next exit,” he told her staring at her. He could not help but smile as he saw her uncomfortable seating position like she was on edge. “I won’t hurt you stop sitting so stiff its going to kick you in the butt later.

Amber just rolled her eyes and turned back to staring out in the dark. But managed to relax a bit and sat a little more comfortable on the chair.

Sure enough a few minutes later he was exiting and for a second she thought he was stopping at the gas station but instead he continued. “Where are you going?” she asked surprised as the continued to pass restaurants and gas stations.

“Well your not the only one that’s tired,” Alex answered just in time. The motel 8 sign was now showing on the side of the road.

“Separate room’s right?” Amber asked as she watched him park.

He laughed and then stared at her, “Sorry no can do you’re my hostage I can’t trust you yet. I mean you still don’t trust me. I can promise you separate beds,” he gave her a grin. “Now come on we have to go get a room,” he turned of the engine.

“Do you honestly think someone won’t notice something weird.” She told him eyeing his attire compared to hers.

“Your right,” he said smiling. “Now your acting more as my accomplice. Wait here,” he took the keys with him and locked the car.

She groaned as she realized he had taken the keys there went her plan to try and drive off. Yet she did not feel in danger she just didn’t like whatever she was feeling with him around. Danger though was the not the feeling. Besides he had promised to let her go as soon as they reached Nevada.

A few moments later he was back with a key, “Come on princess lets go,” he told her in mockery as he opened the trunk to the car. He smiled as he saw the one red suitcase, “you travel light,” he told her as he opened the door for her. “Well come on we have a long night.”

She groaned and did as she was told stepping out of the car, “There better be separate beds,” she told him as he grabbed her arm and began to walk to there room.

He laughed at her and then he turned to face her, “Am I really that bad?” he asked her making her look at him. She had the most beautiful green eyes and he could tell there was more to her.

“Yes,” she said not really caring the sadness that suddenly showed in his brown eyes. “I mean you have me hostage what do you expect?”

“Oh ok you got me there but I have been a nice kidnapper don’t you think?” he said as he continued to walk and finally reaching room 118. He opened the door and held it open for her. “Ladies first,” he said.

She walked in smiled inside as he kept his promise two twin beds stood in the room. She turned to see him close the door and put her suitcase down. “Thanks for brining in my suitcase.”

“Well I thought you might want to freshen up,” he said pointing toward the small bathroom. He didn’t say anything more and went to turn on the TV and plopping on the first bed. “I guess this is my bed,” he said yawning as he began to watch the cartoons on the TV.

She shrugged and walked to the other bed laying her suitcase on it. She tried to ignore his presence as she began to look for more comfortable clothes. A shower would help her after her first day of freedom without freedom. She got what she wanted and walked into the bathroom locking it behind her.

*******

She felt much better as she finished her shower. She got dressed and collected her dirty clothes. She opened the door to the bathroom and was startled to see a bare chest Alex reading her bible! “What are you doing?”

“Reading what does it look like I am doing,” he said looking up from the bible and smiling as he saw her. “You look better,” he said and went back to reading.

“That’s mine why do you have it?” she asked as she walked to his bed and tried to yank the bible away.

“Ahaha, wait Amber Cooper,” he said as he stood up from his bed with the bible still in his hands. “It looks pretty used and one bad pull can destroy it. Do you really want that?” he asked.

She grumbled and then glared at him, “I am not Cooper,” she told him.

“Well it says here that this bible belongs to Amber Grace Cooper,” Alex said going back to the first blank page of the bible where the name was written in a very nice handwriting. “You just said that you’re not Amber Cooper so this means you’re just a thief like me,” he said smiling triumphantly at her.

“You don’t know me!” she yelled at him suddenly hearing her grandmother’s name brought pain in her heart. She tried to hold the tears threatening to come out taking a deep breath she spoke, “That was my grandmother’s” she couldn't say more and she sat on the bed her face in her hands trying to control the sudden urge to cry.

Alex's smile began to fade as he saw the way she had reacted to his comment, “Look I’m sorry I was only joking. Amber?” he said approaching her and sitting besides her. “Here it’s yours I was just reading because I got bored.”

Amber didn’t say a word and continue to sob in her hands she stood up to go walk to her bed but she felt his grip on her arm. “Please let go,” she said in a muffled tone still her face covered.

“No… I hurt your feelings. I really am sorry,” he said pulling her back to sit on his bed. He literally had to pry her hands of her face. He put his finger under her chin making her look up, “I really am sorry,” he said once her red eyes looked at him. He then began to wipe away the tears with his thumb. “I shouldn't have said what I said…”

“I didn't think I would react like this now either,” she said quickly removing his hands from her face and clearing her throat. “I’m tired,” she said taking her bible from the bed and walking to her bed.

Alex watched as she began to shove everything into her suitcase. He sighed and then spoke again, “I actually am a good listener.”

“That’s good to know,” she told him putting her auburn hair into a messy bun. “Good night,” she finished as she got comfortable in her bed. She knew she could not sleep but she did not want to talk about her breakdown with a stranger who happens to be her kidnapper.

Alex watched and then sighed, “Good night Amber,” getting comfortable in his bed.