- Text Size +
Amber wiped the tears that fell free from her face as she entered Dallas city limits. She knew she would the talk of her life but at this moment she only felt like all she had was her mother and that meant it was worth getting lectured by her father.

It had taken her approximately four days to make to Dallas, because she had been sick. She had been drinking Maalox like water since she left California. She didn’t understand why she felt so sick, she had to see a doctor because her upset stomach would not go away.

She sighed heavily as she approached the exit to Garland she felt her stomach churn and she did not know if it was because of the nerves she had or because of her stomach virus. She stopped her car on the side of the road as she was hit with a wave of nausea, she barely opened the door and she emptied her stomach contents. She groaned and only wished to get to her mother’s embrace soon.

After she made sure she could drive again she got back on the road and prayed that her father would accept her back, he should if he really believed in the bible… he should then remember the story of the prodigal son right?

She felt queasy again as she turned on to Centerville the main street that led to her home. She began to cry as she began to recognize everything, the Jack In The Box she used to go eat at with her friends. Everything was the same not that she had been gone long anyway.

Then there it was First Street she made the left turn and almost hit the breaks as she realized she was very close to her destination. She could see her house the brick house that had been her jail house and it would be her haven she hoped anyway.

She was now parked and just staring at the house, she smiled as she saw her father’s Tahoe parked. It was close to super time and she could already picture her mother in the kitchen fixing dinner. She sighed heavily and finally she got the guts to get off the car. Every step she took toward the house was excruciating it was like she was back in shackles and being pulled back to her cell.

She took a deep breath and pushed the doorbell, she smiled as she heard Snowball barking away. She waited patiently till she saw the doorknob moving and then there stood her mother wiping her wet hands on her pants. “mom,” she said again tears coming down her face.

“Amber,” Adele said beginning to cry as she hugged her daughter. “You look sick,” she told her as she saw her daughter’s pale face.

“I’m fine just a little nervous… is dad here?” Amber asked wiping her tear stained face.

“Yes, he won’t want to see you.” Adele said looking into the house. “I’ll take care of that, come on in sweetie I am so happy your back.”

“Who’s at the door Adele?”

“Me,” Amber said walking in her father on the stairway his hands on his waist. “Hi dad.”

“Adele, what is she doing here? I thought I had been clear about this.”

“Yes you were but it’s not going to happen. She is our daughter whether you like it or not and she has come back! If you don’t want her here than fine, but I won’t stay here either.” Adele said firmly defying her husband.

“Father I am so sorry… I really am. I just ask for your help till I can live on my own. I will find a job and move out. Just please talk to me… I know I did wrong in leaving like I did but now I am back and asking for you to give me a chance to prove that I am still the same Amber.” She was crying as she saw her father anger very clear in his face yet tears were coming down his face.

“Remember about the prodigal son,” Adele said as she wrapped her arm around Amber. “She has come back home…”

Amber jumped a little as he father walked passed her and her mother not saying a word. He walked out and all you heard was his Tahoe as he backed out of the driveway.

“He’ll be back he just needs to think that’s all.” Adele said giving her daughter a smile. “Now come on lets get you settled.”

********

Alex drank another shot as he looked around the crowded bar. It had been four days since Amber had left not allowing him to give an explanation. He was hurt and angry, he didn’t know what to really say or do.

Where could Amber had gone? Most likely she was already in another state. Why had he not listened to her? It was too late to regret though and he honestly did not see what she said she saw and felt from his family.

Well except for Simone that had been true. Especially now that she was gone Simone was all over him. He ordered another drink and sighed heavily wondering where could Amber be. He needed her now, he loved her.

“There you are,” Simone said sitting beside him.

“What do you want?” Alex said insipidly as he took the drink from the bartender.

“Well your father is worried about you, he said you had left early in the morning and still hadn’t made it back. Are you ok?” Simone asked as she ordered a drink for herself.

“Does it look like I am ok?” Alex asked still not really paying attention to her.

“You know Alex I was once told that things happen for a reason. Maybe Amber is not the right girl for you… I mean she left you.” Simone said as she put her hand on top of Alex’s tattooed hand.

Alex pulled away from her grip, “Amber loves me and I love her. I just sort of lost my path lately, she’ll be back she will.” That’s all he could do to reassure himself. That’s when he remembered about the guy she had met the other time. “Brian.”

“Who’s Brian?” Simone asked as she watched him down his drink.

“He knows where Amber is or she’s with him.” Alex said a large lump forming as he imagined the worst. Maybe Brian was trying to take her away from him, as he thought through there conversation in the car she remembered her mentioning where he worked. He stood up quickly pulling out some cash to pay for his drinks. He then walked away not caring to saying anything to Simone.

“Alex! Wait, I’ll go with you.” Simone said running after him.

“No,” Alex said glaring at her, its because of you being to clingy to me that Amber left. “Just stay away from me Simone, I will never see you at anything more than an acquaintance.”