- Text Size +
Amber tapped her fingers as she sat in the Starbucks. She had agreed to see her mother in law or should she say soon to be ex mother in law. She smiled as she caught a young man staring at her. She blushed and turned away when she realized he had noticed her staring… she was quick to take a sip of her Passion tea.

“Waiting for someone?”

Amber jumped a little when she saw the young man now in front of her his cup of cold coffee in hand. “You could say that,” she said nervously biting at the straw.

“May I till your company arrives. I’m Howie by the way.” He extended his hand to her.

“Hi Amber.” Amber said smiling at him. “My mother in law should be here any minute.”

“Mother in law,” Howie arched his brow. “It’s always the good girls that are taken. Your husband must be one lucky man.”

Amber giggled nervously she was not used to being hit on by man unless you counted that one encounter with Rusty and his guy friends. She got a flash of that memory in her head how Alex had gotten beat up of them. “Well technically I should say soon to be ex mother in law.” She was not lying that was the truth.

“Ouch,” Howie said seeing the sad expression on her face. “So no happily ever after?”

“Nope but life is still young for me and with my…” she stopped herself from finishing her sentence she realized she really shouldn’t be sharing her personal information with a total stranger.

*******

“You sure she said this Starbucks?” Alex asked as he got of his mothers truck.

“Abrams and Gaston…yep this one is it.” Denise said after turning off her engine and getting out of the car. “Maybe I should go in first and then you.”

“No I have to see her mom. I love her and I’ve hurt her I need to apologize.” Alex said as he walked toward the coffee house freezing as he saw his wife having a very exciting conversation with someone a man at that.

“What’s wrong?” Denise asked as she followed his gaze. “Oh is that her?”

“Yes,” Alex said with a clenched jaw.

“You weren’t lying when you said she was pretty.” Denise said as she eyed her daughter in law. “Who’s that with her?”

“I don’t know but let’s find out.” Alex said stepping forward.

“Wait,” Denise said grabbing his arm. “You can’t go in there like that… you have to understand that could be her family or a friend. Or either way she is not happy with you… remember be humble.”

“Ok your right.” Alex said as he walked in and slowly approached his wife. “Amber.”

Amber nearly dropped her cup as her hands began to tremble. She knew that voice, “Alex.” she said looking up to see her husband a red headed short woman right behind him.

“Amber you look gorgeous,” Denise said breaking the silence. She went up to her and hugged her as she whispered something into her ear, “I haven’t told him about you know its been hard though not to tell him.”

“I should go,” Howie said clearing his throat. “I’ll see you around Amber.”

“Yeah bye,” Amber said robotically as she still stared at her husband. He had not shaved in a while and he looked like he hadn’t slept either.

“I’m going to get me a coffee want something honey?” Denise asked Alex.

“I’m fine mom…wait you know what yeah get me something strong an espresso.” Alex said as he got near the table and slowly pulled out a chair taking a seat.

“Do you want a refill sweetie?” she asked Amber before leaving.

“No thank you I’m fine.” Amber said finally looking at her. She sighed as she saw her walk away, “Your mother tricked me.”

“She knew you wouldn’t want to see me if you knew I was coming.” Alex said wetting his lips suddenly feeling them dry. “Who was that?” Alex asked pointing to the guy that had just been sitting with her.

“Why do you care,” Amber said finally her face showing a little anger. She shrugged, “I can move on too you know.”

“But you love me,” Alex said sighing a little with frustration.

Amber smiled wryly and set her cup down. “Love? Do you even know the meaning of that?” she stood up and grabbed her purse.

“What are you doing?” Alex asked also standing up.

“I am out of here, I agreed to meet your mother not you. I have every right to leave so I will.” Amber said as she began to walk. She ignored whatever Alex was saying as she fled.

She didn’t get far though as she made it to her car she felt the tug on her arm. “Amber wait,” Alex said holding onto her hard.

“Your hurting me Alex let go,” Amber said her eyes filling with tears. “There is nothing for us to say.”

“Your wrong,” Alex said loosening his grip on her arm. “I am here because I want you back and because I want to apologize for my stupid behavior. I love you Amber.”

Amber pulled away from his grip and began to back away. “Look Alex you can’t be doing this… you clearly don’t trust me and in a marriage you have to have trust.” She then turned and ran through the parked cars but she could hear Alex behind her she didn’t stop though she made it to her hand and quickly got in. sighing in relief that she able to lock the doors before Alex could get in.

“Amber please let me talk.” Alex said banging on her window.

“No,” Amber said sternly turning on the engine to her car and beginning to back out. She didn’t wait much she sped away, especially when she saw that Alex had run back and was sure that it was to get in his car and follow her. But she had a good head start and besides she lived in Garland not downtown Dallas, she would be home and able to think clearly.

******

“She didn’t let me explain,” Alex said as he sat in his mother’s truck.

“Well sweetie you hurt her badly. But don’t worry you’ll see her again. Now let’s go find a hotel for today god knows you need the rest.”