- Text Size +
“Dad please…I’m sorry,” she opened her eyes and realized that it all had been a dream. She groaned as she remembered where exactly she was. She turned to see if Alex was asleep but she was surprised to find the bed empty.

She got up and stretched as she adjusted her eyes to the brightness. She must have been tired since sleep did win her over after all. That’s when the door to the bathroom opened and out came out Alex showered and with different clothes. “Good morning princess,” he said as he walked out.

“What time is it,” she asked as she stared him.

“Its twelve thirtyish…” he said as he put his dirty clothes in a store bag. “I brought breakfast but I just didn’t want to wake you up. Do you want to eat that or we can get something on the way.”

“I’m not hungry,” she said as she walked into the bathroom.

“I really am sorry for last night,” he yelled as he began to get everything ready to go. He hadn't slept much and now curiosity had him. What could this girl be hiding? Why she was alone and where was she heading.

A few minutes later she walked out hair down and freshened up. “Lets go I can’t wait to get to Nevada.” She muttered as she grabbed her suitcase.

“Wait a sec,” Alex said startling her. “I want to know what has gotten into you. I mean I know you’re not in the best of the situation here but I have been really nice to you. Why are you acting this way? I still need you to eat…” he sighed in frustration.

She glared at him and then looked down at the floor. “I don’t have to give any explanations. I just want to go back to the way I was before you decided to take me hostage with my car!”

“You know what Amber or whatever your name is…” Alex said taking the suitcase out of her hand and then made her sit on one of the beds. “I am going to tell you why I did what I did and then if you still think of me as a bad person I will just have you drop me off at the Shell and I will hitchhike to California.”

She looked at him and did feel a little bad. He looked vulnerable, “I don’t care… I just want to be alone!”

“Just listen and then I will leave you alone.” He said as he sat beside her, “I am the only son of Denise McLean wait scratch that Solis now. I was working at this body shop real close to the hick town where I kidnapped you. I moved here after my mother left Florida, she didn’t want to be near the place that reminded her so much about my grandmother. She was struggling with money so I got a job and quit college. Everything was going good till she met my now stepfather. I can’t stand that man but my mom loves him. I realized I hated my life since she got married and finally I realized I wanted to try…” he sighed and looked at her. “Try and know my real father, he to my knowledge resides in California. I really don’t know if he will even care.” Alex took in a deep breath and got silent remembering his departure from his mother’s house.

“Does he know you exist?” Amber asked as she turned to face him.

Alex shrugged, “Yeah but he never acknowledged me he just vanished. I don’t even remember when I just remember not having a father to play football with or go fishing. I coped with the help of my grandfather and grandmother. Any who I was in need of a good car and after planning everything, I mean I watched that store for many days to see who all worked there. The works and the day I decide to steal steal the clerks old busted Chevy. You showed up and I saw it as a sign Amber.”

Amber stared into his brown eyes and sighed, “Ok,” she said biting her lip.

“Ok? Ok what? You forgive me and we continue to ride together to Nevada or are you going to leave me at the gas station?” Alex asked giving her a weak smile.

“Nevada it is.” She said.

******

They had been on the road for little over three hours when Amber’s stomach announced she was hungry. “Was that your stomach?” Alex asked as he eyed her.

“Yeah,” she said shyly instantly bringing one of her hands to her stomach.

“I told you to eat,” Alex said as he lit a cigarette. “Its ok we’ll stop in the next exit I am kind of hungry too.”

Amber nodded and then she went back to staring out of the window. “So what if your dad doesn’t want you? What are you going to do?” She bit her lip a little late her questions had come out loud enough for him to hear.

Alex shrugged, “I don’t know yet. I will probably find a job and try to settle on my own.” He then threw out the cigarette butt. “Talking about that… when will I hear your story? Is your name really Amber?”

Amber laughed, “Yes. I was named after my grandmother.” She told him, “She just passed away a year ago, we were close.”

“I’m sorry… I know how that feels.” He said as he reached out to her and squeezed her hand.

That gesture made Amber’s heart almost stop. “I- thanks.” She said looking back out the window.

“Can I ask you something?” Alex asked.

Amber turned to face him nodding, “I may not answer it but you can ask.”

“I’ll take what I can get,” he said smiling at her again. “Why are you traveling? What is your story Amber? What is your last name? I want to know about you too.” He then spotted the next exit with a Denny’s and took the exit.

“It’s a long complicated story.” She told him shyly, “probably boring too.”

“I told you I am a good listener. Try me,” He told her.

“I guess I can share it with you since you shared yours but… how about lunch first?” she asked just as she saw the Denny’s sign.

“How about you tell me while we eat?” he said.

She shrugged, “I’ll think about it.”

Alex turned off the ignition and got out running to get the door for Amber but he was too late she was already out. “Next time wait till I open the door.”

“What why?” she asked him.

“I am a gentleman you know I was taught to do that for ladies.” He said winking at her. “So let’s go get some food.”

Amber smiled at him and was mesmerized by his smile. She literally felt her breath being knocked out of her. She didn’t know exactly what was happening but the more she got to know her kidnapper the more she liked him?