- Text Size +
****Four Months Later****

“My back is killing me!” Amber said as she tried to stand up.

“Here honey I go it.” Denise said as she took the glass from her hand.

“Thank you Denise, but I need to stand up and walk around anyway.” Amber said as she let Denise help her up. “I can’t believe I am carrying twins.

“I think it’s a blessing,” Denise smiling and rubbing her stomach. “Do you want to go for a walk to the mall?”

“I think I’d like to go to a Chinese buffet first.” Amber blushed as she felt hunger again. “I am eating like crazy.”

“Ok I am up for Chinese food then we can go to the store or some more Halloween decorations. “I want this Halloween is to be one of the best since it will be your first.”

Amber smiled, “I’d like that,” she felt a pang in her heart though knowing that all this happiness did have a sour note. Only Tim was talking to her and it was in secret hiding from her parents. What hurt her more was that her mother had sounded very sincere but yet she had again fallen under her father’s hands?

*********

“I actually look like a pumpkin,” Amber said as she saw herself on the mirror. She had on a pumpkin outfit that Alex had chosen for her.

“My pumpkin,” Alex said as he caressed her belly.

“I like it so far not much choices when you’re as big as a killer whale.” Amber said as she adjusted the hat on her head.

“Good then I will be the eggplant,” Alex said as he took the outfit. “You know in the same category… food slash veggie.”

Amber laughed, “I want to see how you will look like in an eggplant outfit. I can’t believe there is an eggplant outfit,” she finished.

“How do I look?” Denise said as she came out of the dressing rooms dressed as a witch a big fake mole on her nose and all.

“Like a witch,” Alex said grinning at her. “What do you think of my pumpkin?” he asked as he pointed to Amber.

“She is a very cute pregnant pumpkin.” Denise said as she looked at Amber.

“Alex is going to be an eggplant.” Amber said as she laughed.

“A what?” Denise asked a little baffled.

“An eggplant,” Alex said flashing his outfit.

******

“What happened to the bags of skittles?” Alex as he refilled the trays with candy to give out.

“I don’t know,” Amber said as she hid a bag behind her back. “Ok guilty I’ve been sort of eating the little bags during the last two days. I couldn’t help it, it seems the babies like them too.” She blushed a little and smiled at Alex.

“Ok no more sugar for you for the rest of your pregnancy. Remember Dr. Flowers said you had to watch what you ate.” He told her no being able to keep a straight face. “So are you ready to give more candy out?”

“Yeah,” Amber said and then smiled. “Hey Alex do you think that by next year we will be able to take out kids out trick or treating?”

“They won’t be old enough yet, but who knows maybe. Do you regret not wanting to know the sex of the babies?” Alex asked nonchalantly.

“No I am glad we are going to be surprised.” Amber said just before a knock was heard.

“TRICK OR TREAT!”

Amber laughed as she happily handed out candy. “I like your butterfly outfit.” She told a little girl.

“I still like your outfit the most,” Alex said as to her as she closed the door. “Really I don’t look fat?”

“You look like a perfect round pumpkin, I want make you my personal pie,” He said wiggling his eyebrows.

Amber laughed, “I like that very purple eggplant outfit too.”

******

“Happy birthday to you… happy birthday to you my dear Amber… happy birthday to you.” Alex sang as he lit the candle on the cupcake.

Amber opened her eyes and gasped as she saw Alex with a cupcake coming into the room they shared. That’s right her birthday was only a two days later after Halloween “Awe is that for me?”

“Yes you’re the birthday girl.” Alex said as he handed her the cupcake. “Make a wish and blow the candle.” He ordered as she sat up.

“I… I thank you.” She told him getting reared eyed. “I have never had a birthday cupcake.”

“I know but today is your first of many where I will bake you a cupcake.” Alex said kissing her forehead. “Well more like buy you a cupcake.”

“I love you.” Amber said as she closed her eyes and made a wish. She blew the candle and then she licked the very tasty icing on the cupcake. “Very good.” She took a small bite.

“Well don’t get to attached my mom and you are going shopping. She is going to buy you whatever you want its going to be your birthday day out.” Alex said.

“What about you?” Amber asked a little confused.

“Well I have to go to work but I will be back to go out to a nice dinner tonight I promise.” He said giving her a sensitive look.

******

“I can’t believe we shopped so much.” Amber said as she opened the apartment door. “Oh my god!” she said when she saw Alex holding a birthday cake.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!”

She felt like crying when she saw her friend Madeleine, her brother Tim and a couple of neighbors she had befriended. “Thank you,” She managed to say.

“Happy birthday sweetie.” Denise said hugging her before everyone began to sing to her.

“This is the birthday I ever had,” she choked out before she blew her candles.