- Text Size +
***A couple of Months later***

“I’m sorry you had to spend New Years in bed.” Alex told Amber.

“I am too but I still had fun even if all I drank was grape juice.” She told him as he leaned in and kissed her.

“Only six more weeks’ babe and then we will have our babies.” Alex sighed as he rubbed her belly.

Amber got teary eyed as she heard Alex. She still hadn’t received one visit from her mother or a call. “Yeah,” she said as she wiped her eyes.

“What’s wrong sweetie?” Alex asked as he kissed her.

“I just…I just wish my mother would be here with me not that I don’t love Denise but she is my mom.” Amber said as she rubbed her swollen stomach.

“I’m sorry I wish there was something I could do.”

********

“Alex?” Tim said in surprise as he saw his brother in law standing there. “Is my sister ok?”

“Yeah she is on bed rest but she is good. I am here actually because I wanted to talk to your parents are they here?” Alex said as he wiped his sweat palms on his pants.

“They are not here there at a charity event. Is there something I can you with?” Tim asked.

“No you’ve been the best brother Amber could have. I know she really appreciates you sneaking over to see her. But she is not completely happy… you and I know why. I can’t believe your mother is so cold, how can she do that to her own flesh and blood?” he asked in frustration.

Tim sighed and bit his lip, “I know and understand where you come from. I am not trying to defend my mother with this but you don’t understand that to her and dad Amber did the worst thing ever. She has shunned herself, I know that to you that is nothing but in the world we grew up in it’s a big deal. Like I said I am not excusing her or my father especially my father….” He sighed again and spoke, “But of one thing I have been witness to is my mother is breaking under my father’s ridiculous rules. She will break soon I have a feeling she will.”

Alex snickered at Tim’s words. “Your right I don’t know anything about your cult or whatever it is but I know that those babies Amber is carrying… I have come to love them so much I would do anything for them. So I can’t imagine how your father can be so cruel… and maybe your right your mother might break soon. But just maybe it will be to late for her to try and win Amber back. You tell her that for me. I have to go.” Alex said walking away feeling worse than he had when he has seen his wife cry earlier.

*******

“I just need to go to the restroom.” Amber assured Denise as she began the walk toward the restroom. “Ouch,” said as she bent with the sudden pain on her lower stomach.

“What is it honey?” Denise asked concerned as she walked toward her.

“I’m fine really I guess all this bed rest is making me achy that’s all.” Amber said as she tried to hide the pain that she continued to feel.

“Sweetie you don’t look to good. I’ve been reading on twin pregnancies and I am aware of premature labor. Are you in labor Amber?”

“No, I can’t be I am going to go full term.” Amber said giving her a smiled. She began to walk toward the restroom again. “Just get me a glass of water so when I come out ok?”

“You sure?” Denise asked still worried

“Yes I am positive.” She said as she bit her lip to try and not scream when she felt another sharp pain. “Ok maybe I do need to go to the doctor.” She finally said as she began to cry.

“I’ll get an ambulance,” Denise said as she ran to get a phone. “Everything will be fine sweetie.”

“where’s Alex?” she asked as she tried to walk back to the bed. “I need Alex.”

“He had to go to his job it was urgent he should be back soon.” Denise lied as she regretted letting her son leave to try and talk sense to Amber’s family. Now he was gone and Amber was in pain.

“I can’t be in labor Denise, I still have six weeks.” Amber said with tears of pain. She wanted to go full term with her babies. She felt another pain hit her and the sirens of an ambulance as well.

“They are here sweetie,” Denise said as she grabbed a pad to jot down a note for Alex. “I’ll make sure Alex meets us there.”

After that it was all in a rush how the paramedics put her in the gurney and now she was in the ambulance getting her pressure checked. Denise sat quietly, it looked like she was praying.

“Her blood pressure is dropping!”

“IS she ok?” Denise asked as she saw Amber close her eyes and suddenly the machines around began to beep differently. “Please tell me is she ok?” She begged one of the paramedics but they seemed to busy to answer.

*******

Alex walked into the apartment and felt awkward. “Mom? Amber?” he asked as he rushed to the room where Amber stayed it was empty. He did not like this at all as he walked out he saw the paper on stuck on the door…..

Amber is in labor, we were taken by ambulance to Baylor. Hurry she’s been asking for you.

Mom.

He didn’t wait long and stormed back out the apartment on a mission to get the hospital fast. “I’m going to be a dad.” He said to himself as he sped down the street. He was glad Baylor was not far from where they lived. He just hoped everything would be fine… he smiled as he wondered what he would have, two girls, two boys, or maybe one of each. That sounded nice but he knew whatever he got he was going to love them the same.

A short ride later he was parking at Baylor. He hated hospitals but at this point he didn’t care about what he liked he was here because his wife was in there giving him the best gift ever and he was definitely not going to be like his father… he was going to prove that he was nothing like his father…