- Text Size +
He had been awake for a little over fifteen minutes and yet he still could not move. He did not want to wake her up and he had to admit having her beside him her head resting on his chest was a nice feeling.

He looked down at her and then subconsciously he pulled her hair away from her sleeping face. She had been inconsolable last night and finally sleep had won her over, she was so fragile. He didn’t understand why he felt the need to protect her above all else.

Amber opened her eyes carefully as she felt someone’s hand caress her face. She then realized she had fallen asleep in Alex’s arms… “Oh my god…” she managed to say as she pushed herself off him. “I’m sorry… look at me.” she said running to the restroom.

Alex smiled as he saw her blush and run to the bathroom, “its ok Amber…” he managed to say as he got off her bed and went to lay in his. He could hear the water running and then he saw the notebook on the table and it caught his attention. He realized he shouldn’t look through and sighed with relief when the door to the bathroom opened.

“I am so sorry about last night,” Amber said shyly as she went to her suitcase. “I don’t know what happened, I mean I knew what I was to expect of my father and yet it still hurt me so much. I feel horrible I mean I cried all over your chest and you had barely showered. I’m sorry… It won’t happen again.” She said still not having the courage to look toward him.

Alex watched her and it clicked in his head why she was acting like she was. “Amber its ok… I offered my shoulder for you to cry on.” he said walking up to her. He made her turn around and face him, “I know we didn’t start as friends but I know how much pain it causes in your heart when your father turns his back on you.”

Amber looked at him and suddenly felt bad for him too remembering that he hadn't had his real father by his side since he was young. “Thanks,” she told him her arms wrapping around his waist.

Alex was caught by surprise but then it felt natural for him to hug her back, “anytime… well till we go our separate ways that is.” He was starting to feel bad at that thought knowing that soon she would leave on her own. She had turned out to be a very interesting hostage.

********

“I spy something pink,” Amber said as she giggled. They had been driving for a while already and she had started to play a game with him.

“That’s it I give up I haven’t guessed one I spy since we started playing.” Alex said smiling toward her.

Amber began to giggle; “fine…” she looked at him and couldn’t help admire his facial features. She didn’t understand why but she could see why he had had so many girlfriends. She had never really liked guys with so many tattoos but on him it suite him. She cleared her throat and turned to look out the window hoping he had not caught that.

“I believe we need gas,” he said as he took the next exit. “Do you want anything to drink?” he asked her as he went into the Chevron.

“Yeah a coke and skittles.” She said to him as he turned off the car at the pump.

“Ok,” Alex said giving her a smile. “I’ll be back.”

Amber watched as he walked toward the store, she sighed in relief when she realized he had not noticed her ogling at him. Suddenly she felt the urge to use the ladies room since they had stopped already.

As she walked into the store she noticed Alex was very entertained with the clerk. She didn’t understand why that was upsetting her but she felt anger. “Excuse me,” she said clearing her throat. “The restrooms where are they?” she asked the lady with a fake smile evident on her face.

She took the key from the clerk and walked out, once outside she sighed heavily. She could not help staring back and seeing how Alex continued to flirt with that fake blonde.

By the time she came back Alex was pumping gas, on her seat were the coke and skittles. She felt too angry to say thank you and just sat in her seat, putting her coke and candy in the cup holders.

She didn’t even look when he climbed in a cigarette in his mouth ready to light it. “I got your coke and candy,” said as he turned on the car. He waited till he was back on the road to light the cigarette. “What’s wrong?” Alex asked.

“Nothing,” Amber managed to say without staring at him. “I just couldn’t use the restroom it was horrible…” she said anger evident in her voice.

“I can stop at a McDonald’s if you want.” Alex said exhaling the smoke.

“No I’m fine I can wait…” she said trying to calm herself, this was the first time in her life she felt jealousy? Because that’s what she was feeling even if Alex never insinuated that he liked her in that way.

“Okay?” he said staring at her curiously… “There’s something else isn’t there?”

“No nothing at all I am just tired.” She lied as she finally managed to look at him and force a smile on her face.

“Well go to sleep I’ll wake you if we reach Nevada before you wake up.” Alex said not really believing her. “So you’re not going to eat these?” he asked grabbing the bag of skittles.

“No… you got the wrong ones. I like the ones in the blue bag not red.” She told him going back to staring out the window.

“You didn’t tell me which ones you liked and when I asked Nicole for advice she told me I could never go wrong with the original.” He said opening the bag of skittles.

She turned to look at him… “Well Nicole is wrong.”

His eyes widened as he saw the way she said the clerks name… “Yeah she was but what was I thinking asking an ordinary girl about candy I was buying for a so not ordinary girl. Well at least they were free…” he said grinning.

“Yeah your flirting worked like a charm didn’t it?” Amber asked resentfully.

“Someone seems mad,” Alex said as he put more skittles in his mouth. “She was hot… what can I say.”

Amber glared at him, “You know I understand why you haven’t found love. I mean look at where you are looking for love at?” she said crossing her arms.

“Are you jealous?” Alex asked finally realizing she was.

“No!” she said quickly, “But I mean you can tell what type of girl she is that’s all.”

“It’s meaningless flirting and that’s what I do I flirt. I like to make a girl feel special and sometimes I get other things out it. That’s the truth and I’m sorry I don’t believe in that fairytale crap. Love does not exist Amber… so sorry if my way of lifestyle doesn’t look good. I enjoy it very much. I personally think you were jealous.” Alex said as he reached over and caressed her cheek.

“I was not jealous, I just feel like you deserve to find someone descent. Just like you got to know me I got to know you and I think you are capable of finding love.” She said as she continued to deny that she had been a little jealous. But it was nothing… she hoped.