- Text Size +
Kevin pulled into the driveway of the house and turned the engine off. Howie was the first one to unbuckle his seat belt and get out of the truck. He walked over to the driver's side and opened the back door. He leaned in and unbuckled the seat belt and harnesses that held his daughter in her car seat. Alex looked up and smiled weakly at his husband as he was unbuckling his own seat belt. Kevin had gotten out already and was waiting for the couple to follow him. He was thinking about his husband and knew that he was going to be on edge for a while. When Alex and Howie had their bags and Alex was holding their daughter in his arms, the three men walked into the house silently.

Brian looked up from where he and Leighanne were sitting when he heard the door open. He saw Kevin, Alex, and Howie walking through. He stood up from the floor and walked over to the other three men. "Nick is sleeping right now. He's still upset, but he calmed down enough and ended up falling asleep," Brian replied. Kevin nodded his head and walked over to where his husband was sleeping.

Kevin knelt down and brushed away the tears that were falling from the corners of Nick's eyes. He knew that the group would have to do a benefit concert for the World Trade Center relief funds. Nick moaned softly and opened his bloodshot eyes. He smiled lightly at his husband and Kevin kissed the young man on the lips softly. The three couples turned to look at the screen and saw that the South Tower was starting to collapse. "Oh God!" Nick exclaimed as the tower was coming down. Smoke and debris was all in the air as the tower was finally gone.

Nick wrapped his arms around Kevin's neck and rested his head on the older man's shoulder. Kevin knew what Nick wanted, so he picked the young man up into his arms and then laid down on the couch. Nick instantly cuddled into Kevin's embrace and continued to watch the news. They couldn't believe that the country was being attacked by terrorists. All that was heard in the room was Nick's sniffling. The phone rang and Kevin, Alex, Howie, Brian and Leighanne flinched heavily. Nick had ended up falling asleep once more. Brian walked over to the phone and picked it up. "Hello, Richardson residence. This is Brian speaking," he replied.

On the other side of the phone, Johnny Wright heard Brian's voice. He knew that Nick was heartbroken because his family was on Flight 11 that had been headed for Los Angeles International Airport. "Hey Brian, it's Johnny. I'm calling to let you know that there will be a benefit concert next month for this day. I know Nick is upset at the moment, so he doesn't have to be on stage, even if the fans want all of the group singing. I'll be there so I can watch over him when you, Alex, Howie, and Kevin are singing on stage. I managed to get everything booked for the five of you so you just let me know the day you all plan to leave," he said.

Brian listened to Johnny explain what was going on and he sighed. He didn't want his little brother to go on stage knowing that Nick would break down into tears singing, but it would help seeing the many fans that showed compassion for each of them. "I'll let the guys know the plans and we'll get back to you soon. Thanks for calling, Johnny. Talk to you soon," Brian replied and hung up the phone then ran a weary hand over his face. He walked back over to where Nick and Kevin were laying down.

Brian sat down in the chair beside the couch and then replied, "That was Johnny. He wanted us to know that there would be a benefit concert next month and wants us to perform. Nick doesn't have to perform since he belonged in the crowd of those who lost loved ones and friends this day. It's up to Nicky if he wants to perform with us on stage."

Kevin looked at his sleeping husband and kissed the top of the young man's blond hair. "Nick may want to participate in the benefit concert to raise money for the Relief Fund that will be happening for this day. We will also need to make sure that the paramedics are standing by. Nick's heart is weaker than usual; with the added stress of losing his parents and being pregnant, it's going to be hard for him at the moment," Kevin replied and hugged Nick closer when he heard the young man moan in pain softly. He ran his hands up and down his young husband's back to keep him calm.

Two Hours Later
Both World Trade Center towers had collapsed to the ground. New York City, Brooklyn, and Manhattan were surrounded in nothing but dust, smoke and smoldering debris. Kevin, Brian, Leighanne, Howie and Alex were silent throughout the entire news report. The only noise in the living room were the soft snores of Nick and Caroline as they slept on. They knew that numerous bodies and body parts were lying underneath the remains of the two towers.

Kevin reached for the remote and turned the television off. He knew that everyone was tired of listening to the news and seeing the images of the planes hitting the towers over and over again. Nick slowly opened his eyes and looked around. He noticed that he had slept for two hours. "H-Hey everyone," Nick replied softly. Nick sat up and rubbed the back of his hand over his eyes to get some of the sleep out. Kevin sat up along with his young husband and he pulled the young man back into his arms.

Nick smiled lightly and rested his head against Kevin's shoulder. Brian, Leighanne, Howie and Alex sat around the couch that Kevin and Nick were still occupying. Nick took Caroline from Howie's arms and held the little girl close to his chest. Kevin looked down at his husband and knew that he needed to tell Nick about the concert. "Nick, Johnny called us and he wants us to do a benefit concert next month to raise money for the World Trade Center attacks. I know about your weak heart, so there will be paramedics standing by in case anything happens," Kevin explained to the young man in his arms.

Nick turned to look up at Kevin and smiled softly. "I'm going to participate in the benefit concert. Yea, I'm upset that I had to watch the airplane that had my family in fly straight for the North Tower, hear their screams and the screams of the passengers around them as they were being burned alive before my father's cell phone shut off completely. My parents and sisters don't want me to give up my singing because they're gone. I know because they're here and I can feel their reassurance and protection. I'm going to get on stage with you, Howie, Brian and Alex," Nick replied and kissed the top of his niece's head softly.

Kevin smiled and kissed Nick on the lips softly. Nick returned the kiss and then turned to smile at everyone else while passing Caroline back to Alex's waiting arms. They returned his smile and started to chat a little bit. Kevin replied, "I'll email Johnny and let him know that Nick is going to sing in the concert. The paramedics will be there just in case anything goes wrong, mainly Nick going into labor. The doctor told us that the twins can come anytime soon. We're excited and a little nervous at the same time." Nick giggled softly when he felt his daughters kick him softly. He was glad that Kevin and the others were there for him and understood what he was going through at the moment with everything that had happened. He was grateful for having very wonderful friends and a loving husband that took care of him for better and for worse and through sickness and health.

Kevin placed his hands flat on Nick's stomach and rubbed softly. Nick purred softly and cuddled closer to his husband. Nick replied softly, “Your daughters are kicking the hell out of me right now, Kevin. I'm so glad that I have about one more month of this pregnancy and they'll be here. We should make sure that the hospital bags for me are packed and everything. It would be amazing if I gave birth on the day of the benefit concert.” Kevin and Leighanne chuckled softly at Nick's comment. They knew that multiple pregnancies never lasted nine full months and they had a feeling that Nick was going to give birth soon, preferably next month. Nick smiled and groaned softly. “Damn it, I need to go to the bathroom. I've gone so many times throughout the days. Abigail and Evelyn are sitting directly on my bladder again. I'll be back in a few minutes,” Nick replied and eased up from between Kevin's legs and headed upstairs to the bathroom.

Leighanne turned to face Kevin and smiled mischievously. “You're in for it, Kevin. Nick is going to be cursing you out as he gives birth to your daughters. He's not going to be a happy camper while he is going through labor. Just make sure not to upset him because I've heard many women who had children did make their husbands get vasectomies,” she replied and laughed when she saw the look on her cousin-in-law's face. Brian, Howie, and Alex grinned at Kevin and knew that he wanted more children with Nick later down the road.

“Believe me, Leighanne. I'm not going to upset Nick at all when he's going through labor and bringing our daughters into the world. I don't want to destroy my manhood. I want to have more children with Nick down the road,” Kevin replied and discreetly crossed his legs so he wouldn't have to feel the metaphoric pain of a vasectomy happening to him.