- Text Size +
Nick had woken up and looked around the room. He realized that it was after 7AM. He smiled when he saw his husband curled up against his side and his arms were around his waist. Nick smiled and brushed a lock of hair out of the older man's face. He liked how Kevin kept his hair long. It was like silk whenever he ran his fingers through it. The door to the room opened and Nick looked up from watching his husband sleep soundly without any signs of waking. "Good morning, Nick. It's good to see that you're awake," Matthew replied as he walked over to the bed. He started checking over the electrocardiography readings of Nick's heart and adjusted the flow of saline solution that Nick was receiving to keep him hydrated.

"Morning Matthew. Kevin was exhausted, so he ended up falling asleep next to me. I was surprised see him sleeping next to me. I was wondering when I would be able to go see my daughters. Kevin and I are very anxious to hold them for the first time. I know I have to eat breakfast before I can go anywhere. I also need clothes to wear since I don't have anything of mine to wear," Nick replied and ran his fingers through his husband's hair. Matthew saw the love between the two men and was happy for them. He knew that Nick and his baby brother were dealing with the loss of their parents and sisters, but at least they had each other.

Matthew smiled at the progress Nick was making. He knew that the young man was well on the road to recovery. "I'll have one of the nurses bring you some pants and a t-shirt. Your readings are looking very good, so you can go and see your daughters. Breakfast will be here in a few minutes and I made sure that they knew to bring an extra breakfast for Kevin since he stayed with you all night. Your friends had gone home since they needed some sleep and they were going to do a press conference about your health. I feel confident that you and your daughters will be released very soon to return home. I'll be back later," Matthew replied and walked out of the room.

Nick chuckled softly at the bubbly attitude his cardiologist had. He looked down at his husband and decided to wake him up since it was close to breakfast time. “Kevin, wake up baby. Breakfast will be here soon. Matthew made sure to let them know to bring two meals since you're here with me,” Nick replied as he shook the older man gently. Nick smiled when sleep-glazed emerald eyes opened slowly and met his cobalt blue eyes. He leaned down and kissed the older man softly. Kevin cupped Nick's cheek in his right hand and returned the kiss. The couple separated and smiled at one another. “Matthew is letting me go see Abigail and Evelyn today. I've been waiting to hold our daughters in my arms for the longest,” Nick replied.

Kevin smiled and sat up from his position against Nick's side. Nick leaned forward and Kevin slid behind the younger man. Nick cuddled into his husband's embrace once the other man was comfortable. Kevin replied, “I'm glad that you can go and see them. They're so beautiful since they're a mixture of both you and me. They haven't opened their eyes, but I think they have either your eyes or my eyes. I'm hoping that they have a mixture though.” Nick smiled and sighed contently when Kevin nuzzled his neck.

The door opened and one of the nurses walked in with their meals. "Good morning, Mr. Carter-Richardson and Mr. Richardson. I have your breakfast meals. Today, we're having eggs, sausage, grits, toast, and freshly-cut strawberries. Another nurse will be bringing some clothes for you to wear, Mr. Carter-Richardson. I'll be back later to see if you need anything," the nurse named Julia replied softly.

Nick smiled and replied, "Thank you, Julia. I think my husband and I are good for now. Just call us Nick and Kevin, please." Julia nodded and walked out of the room. Nick and Kevin settled into a comfortable silence as they began eating their breakfast. Nick grinned and grabbed the little cup of whipped cream. He stuck his finger into it and turned to look at his husband. Kevin raised an eyebrow and Nick giggled softly as he smeared the cream over the older man's nose. He then leaned forward and started to lick it slowly. Kevin stared at the younger man and moaned softly when Nick licked his lips gently. Once the whipped cream was off Kevin's nose, Nick giggled softly once more. "You taste good with whipped cream," Nick replied softly and trailed a hand down his husband's chest.

Kevin groaned and grabbed Nick's hand into his own. "You better stop it before I take you here in this very room," Kevin practically growled and crushed his lips to his young husband's in a soul-scorching kiss. Nick moaned and wrapped his arms around the older man's neck. They were so caught up in the kiss that they didn't notice the door opening once more. They ended their make-out session and blushed furiously at one another. They turned around and saw Matthew smiling at them in amusement.

"Well, it seems that I interrupted something of importance," Matthew replied and chuckled when he saw the looks on the couple's faces. "It's alright, you two. I have a husband as well and he's on paternity leave from here at the moment. He's an attending physician for the ER. His name is Patrick Sanders-Stokes. You two can meet him if you want to. I want to invite you over to a barbecue at the house. It's the least I can do before you two and everyone else head back home," he replied and checked Nick's vitals. Nick smiled at his doctor and then looked at his husband. Kevin smiled down at him and kissed him on the lips softly.

The couple ended the kiss and Kevin looked over at Matthew. “Sure, it would be nice before we head back to Florida to finish out the tour. Brian, Leighanne, Howie and Alex will be there as well. I'll speak with them and see if they're up to it,” Kevin explained to Matthew. The young cardiologist nodded his head softly and continued to write the readings on his chart. Once he was finished, he walked over to the door and opened it. Sure enough, Julia was pushing a wheelchair through the door and she had some fresh clothes for him as well.

“Hello Nick. I told you I was coming back, didn't I? Alright, so you need to get changed so you and Kevin can go see your daughters. They're now in the nursery with the other newborn babies since they've gained enough weight to be with the other children. I made sure that there was a seat for you in the shower and everything in case you're feeling too weak to stand for an extended period of time,” Julia explained and unhooked the IV line from Nick's arms. Nick sighed in relief as he was able to move his arm around freely once more. Kevin stood up from the bed and helped his husband to his feet. Nick stumbled a little bit, but he finally caught his balance and started to walk on his own.

The young man grabbed the clothes from the wheelchair and walked into the bathroom. He closed the door behind him and set them on the toilet. He turned the water on and let it heat up. When it was heated, he stepped in and closed the door. Nick looked down at his chest and touched the place where Matthew had to open him up to repair his heart. The surgical incision was about five and a half inches long. It was still a little tender, but at least he wasn't feeling the tightening in his chest anymore. It took him about twenty-five minutes to thoroughly clean himself. He grabbed a towel and stepped out of the shower onto the rug that was in front of the shower. He dried himself off and then got into the clothes that had been brought to him.

Nick walked out of the bathroom and Kevin was leaning against the wall waiting for him. Kevin turned around and smiled at his husband. “Hey baby. Are you feeling better now that you were able to shower?” Kevin asked as he hugged the smaller man close to his body. Nick nodded against Kevin's chest and smiled up at the older man. Kevin was glad that the love of his life survived everything that he had been subjected to for the last month and a half.

Julia smiled at the love between Kevin and Nick. She remembered when they had gone on Total Request Live eight months ago and explained to the fans that they were finally married. The fans and everyone else were nothing but supportive of the two Backstreet Boys. The couple had received so many gifts from fans across the world. Most of the gifts were baby items since they had been expecting. “So, are you two ready to go see your daughters?” Julia asked. Kevin and Nick nodded their heads eagerly. They wanted to be able to hold their daughters for the first time. Kevin had waited until Nick was strong enough to get out of bed and walk around on his own.

Julia parked the wheelchair in place and helped Nick sit down. It was hospital policy that a patient had to sit in a wheelchair to be transported around the hospital unless authorized to walk on their own. Kevin grabbed the baby blanket that Leighanne had bought from the mall and placed it over Nick's lap so the younger man wouldn't be cold. Julia released the brakes and together, the small group headed out of the hospital room towards the nursery. Kevin pulled the hair holder out of his hair. He hated keeping his hair up in a ponytail. He was tempted to cut it, but he knew that Nick loved him with long hair. It was a good relaxing method for him whenever Nick ran his fingers through his hair after a long day's work.

When they got to the nursery, Julia waved to one of the nurses to come and open the door. The other woman walked over to the door and opened it. “Well, hello there. You're the Richardson family, right?” The older nurse, whose name was Cindy, asked. Kevin and Nick nodded their heads to answer the woman's question. “Your daughters have been waiting to be held by the both of you. They're very beautiful,” Cindy replied and held the door open for Julia to wheel Nick through. Kevin followed behind and Cindy let the door close softly behind the group.

Kevin smiled at all of the newborn babies and then looked over at his husband. He couldn't believe that the beautiful creature was his forever and they had children together. Kevin wanted a big family and Nick was more than happy to carry all their children. He was a submissive male, so being pregnant was easy for him. The first pregnancy though was a little challenging because of all the stress he had been put under. The young man made it through and he was healthier than he had been before. “Well, here are your daughters, you two. They are beautiful,” Julia replied and picked up Abigail first. She was placed in Nick's awaiting arms. Her sister, Evelyn, was placed into Kevin's arms.

Nick smiled at Abigail and replied, "You and Evie are so beautiful. I wonder what color your eyes and Evie's eyes are." A few minutes later, Abigail's eyes opened and Nick gasped. They were a perfect mixture of his cobalt blue eyes and Kevin's deep green eyes. "Boo, come here! Abby just opened her eyes!" Nick exclaimed happily. Kevin walked over to where Nick was and looked down at his daughter. He smiled when he saw Abigail's eyes opened. They were a perfect mixture of blue and green. He leaned down and kissed Nick on the lips softly.

Two minutes later, Evelyn's eyes opened slowly and Kevin looked down. He saw that her eyes were the same as Abigail's eyes. "It looks like I was right about both of them getting two-color eyes," Kevin replied. Nick glanced over at Evelyn and saw her eyes. They were the exact color of her sister's eyes and both sets of eyes had taken on Nick's eye shape, which was almond-shaped. Kevin and Nick smiled at their beautiful daughters softly. Abigail had received Nick's light blond hair while Evelyn had Kevin's raven hair. They knew that the two girls were going to become beautiful women when they were older.