- Text Size +
A few weeks later the Boys, Leighanne and Aaron were backstage on the set of Regis and Kelly. Nick had read through the letters that some of the fans had sent him and he was overwhelmed with love and happiness from the words that he had read. He didn't think that he would've been so lucky, but he realized that the fans had been praying for him and his daughters to make it through. Kevin looked over at his husband and was glad that the younger man was healing nicely and retained some of the pregnancy weight. Nick had been too skinny and it didn't suit him. The weight from the pregnancy had been good for him and Matthew explained to Kevin that Nick needed to keep the weight on because his non-pregnancy weight was teetering on anorexic tendencies. One of the stagehands came back to them and told them that it was time. The group got ready go out in front of the camera. Leighanne and Aaron walked from backstage to go and sit in the audience since they were watching the twins for the time being.

When the group heard their cue, they walked out on stage and the fans were clapping for them. Regis and Kelly stood up to greet the group and after they were welcomed, the seven adults sat down while they waited for the audience to quiet down. When the screaming had finally stopped, Regis turned to face the group and said, "Well, welcome back to the show. The last time you all were here was back in 1997. You're all certainly older and married. Nick, you and Kevin married on Valentine's Day, about eight months before you all started to record Millennium I assume?" Regis asked as the audience started to clap loudly once more for the group.

Kevin and Nick smiled at each other as their fingers entwined together. Kevin nodded his head and replied when the audience quieted down once more, "Yea, Nick decided that getting married on Valentine's Day was a better deal since we were going to be busy during the summer before recording Millennium. Eight months later, we were in the studio recording. We didn't get to have a proper honeymoon, but we spent some time alone for a weekend at the cabin my father owned in the mountains of Kentucky. Howie and Alex married a year later on Alex's twenty-first birthday, which was January 9th, 1999. Brian was the last one to get married in the group. Leighanne and he made it official on September 2nd, 2000. All six of us had a joke about the way we all married. It was like a trend for us to get married a year apart from one another. One couple got married, the next couple got married and the last couple got married. It wasn't intentional. It was just ironic that we all ended up married a year apart from one another."

Nick nodded his head and replied, "Like Kevin said, it wasn't something we planned, but at least we were at each other's weddings. Can I take this time to explain to the audience and fans that are watching the show what happened?" Kevin, Brian, Howie and Alex knew what Nick was about to say. Regis and Kelly nodded their heads in agreement. "To all the fans here in the audience and watching the show, thank you so much for your support and get-well presents. I loved them all and I'm glad that you all are wonderful. My brother Aaron and I lost our parents and sisters back on September 11th when their plane, American Airlines Flight 11, hit the North Tower head-on. It was a difficult time for us and especially me since I was pregnant at the time. The pregnancy was already high-risk since I was carrying twins and my health wasn't very well at the time," he explained.

Regis and Kelly smiled and Kevin leaned over to kiss his younger husband on the cheek. The crowd cooed at the couple's love and affection. Everyone knew about Kevin and Nick's relationship from the very beginning and they also knew about Howie and Alex's relationship. Four of the Backstreet Boys were gay and one was bisexual, but preferred women. "Now, I understand that you had undergone open-heart surgery right after you delivered the twins, Nick. How are you feeling right now?" Kelly asked.

Nick replied, "I'm feeling and doing much better now. My heart wasn't in the best condition and it worsened when I was pregnant. My cardiologist, Matthew Stokes, had flown out from Florida to here when he heard about my collapse during the United We Stand concert. He eventually knew that my heart was going to give out and it did. I had two child fist-sized holes in my heart. It was a miracle that I'm alive today. I was supposed to have the surgery back in November 2000 actually and I didn't want to disappoint the fans so Matthew prescribed me some heart medication to keep my heart stabilized. When I had gotten pregnant in January, I called him and I went to get checked out. I knew that I was going to be on monitored bed rest when I wasn't performing. Every time I got onstage, I was basically cheating death. I'm just grateful for God watching over me." The show ended and the group exchanged hugs with the hosts.

Leighanne and Aaron walked onstage and Nick smiled at his daughters. Surprisingly, they slept through the entire show and were still sleeping. Kevin grabbed Abigail from Aaron and Nick grabbed Evelyn from his friend. The couple smiled at each other and held their daughters close. They knew that Brian and his wife were going to start talking about starting a family since they were going on break for a while. Nick still wasn't one-hundred percent, so he needed to take it easy from the touring that they were just finishing off. Johnny understood and was glad that Nick was alright. He didn't want any of the band members to get sick, hurt, or anything that would hinder them from performing. Kevin looked at his family and knew that everything was going to be alright.

A Week Later
Kevin and Nick were back at their house with Abigail and Evelyn. Kevin looked over at the smaller man and noticed the dark circles surrounding the normally bright cobalt blue eyes. The older man knew that Nick needed to get some rest since the public appearances that the group had made wore his recovering husband out. "Baby, I'll go put Abigail and Evelyn to bed. You just go to our bedroom and get ready for bed since you need to rest. You look like you're about to pass out from exhaustion," Kevin replied and kissed Nick on the lips. He carefully climbed the stairs with his daughters in his arms. Nick followed behind and as soon as they reached the top of the stairs, Nick headed for the master bedroom. He was tired after all and decided a good night's sleep would do him some good.

Kevin pushed the nursery door opened and he walked over to the cribs that he had bought for the girls. He carefully laid Evelyn down first and then walked over to the other crib to lay Abigail down. Once he had the girls in the cribs and they were covered with their blankets, Kevin turned the baby monitor on and walked out of the room as quietly as possible so the twins wouldn't wake up. He closed the door softly and headed down the hall to the bedroom that he shared with Nick. When he got there, the door was opened and walked in. Nick was already lying in bed underneath the covers sleeping. Kevin smiled and started to undress quietly. He usually slept in his boxers and a white t-shirt. This time around, he grabbed a pair of silk pajama pants and pulled them on. He then walked over to the bed and slid in.

Nick shifted over and buried his face into his husband's bare chest. He loved the warmth that Kevin's skin gave off. Kevin smiled and wrapped his arms around Nick's body. He leaned down and kissed the younger man on the forehead softly. Together, the new parents settled into sleep hopefully for the entire night. The baby monitor was sitting right next to the lamp on the nightstand so they could hear their daughters cry and get up from the bed quickly. Nick wasn't used to leaving his daughters' bedsides, but Kevin told him that they needed to get used to sleeping in a room together.

Five hours later, Nick opened his eyes when he heard crying through the baby monitor. He looked up at Kevin and saw that the older man was still sleeping soundly. He eased out of his husband's arms and grabbed his robe as he walked out of the bedroom. He should have known that one of the twins would have woken up sooner or later. When he arrived at the nursery, he walked in and saw that Evelyn was the one crying. Her sister was still sleeping soundly. He picked Evelyn up into his arms and walked over to the rocking chair. He sat down slowly and started to rock back and forth while singing to his daughter.

Nick was still singing to Evelyn so he didn't see Kevin standing in the doorway of the nursery smiling softly. The older man knew that Nick was a nurturer since he was submissive and he loved children. He remembered when Nick had spent an entire day at the Children's Hospital singing and playing with the children that were either terminally ill or were not able to be taken care of by their parents. Kevin walked over to his smaller husband and kissed him on the forehead softly. Nick looked up and smiled at Kevin softly. "I should have known that you would wake up before I did. Is Abby still sleeping?" He asked softly.

Nick nodded and Kevin walked over to Abigail's crib. Sure enough the little girl was still sleeping soundly. He pulled the blanket over her small body and leaned down to kiss her on the forehead. The older man smiled at his beautiful family lovingly. He never thought that someone as caring, loving and beautiful as Nick would be married to him and deeply in love with him. Kevin thanked God for bringing Nick into his life and never pulling him back. The blond-haired and blue-eyed man holding their first-born daughter was his Guardian Angel and he knew that they would be together for the rest of their lives.