- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok so little by little I am putting my stories back up... sorry about that... here's another one. Please let me know what you think and I will update soon for whoever was already into this one. :)
“No I want out,” Trisha told her husband of two years. “I can’t take it anymore; it’s me or your career.” She said anger clear in her voice; she threw her wedding band at him. She wiped away her tears as she walked out the house they shared with only her luggage and purse.

“Trish, babe wait…I love you,” Alex said as he followed his wife out the house and into the driveway. He sighed as his phone rang and he knew he had to answer it, “Fuck,” he said as saw his wife already putting her suitcase in her car. Her black beetle that she so much loved, “Yeah,” he said into the phone.

“Yo Alex we found him, but we need backup you must come down to Miller and Curtis he has hostages,” Nick his partner in LAPD told him.

“Can you just do it without me? I have something to take care of…” he stopped talking as he saw Trish reverse out of the driveway.

“The chief wants you here,” Nick told him as he realized why he had asked him that. “It’s final now isn’t it?”

“She left me,” Alex told him as he looked through his pockets for his cigarettes. He walked back inside his home and grabbed his gun and badge… “I am on my way,” he told his partner hanging up the phone right after. He looked around and then at the picture on the wall of his wedding day. She looked so happy as she held onto him in her white gown. How did he let this happen? The first year was great and he did his best to make time for her and their marriage but then came his promotion. That’s when he began to come late from work to tired to pay attention to her, “I do love you,” he told her picture as he smiled at her face. He finished his cancer stick realizing he would have never smoked inside the house if Trish would’ve still been there.

He dialed the familiar number as he drove off in his SUV, he sighed heavily as he heard her voice… “Hey this is Trish I’m not able to answer your call right now but leave me a message and I will call you back. If its you honey? I love you…” he smiled as he heard it. I guess it was too soon for her to have changed her voicemail. “Trish we need to talk babe you can’t just quit on us,” he told her finally it had dawn on him that when he got back from this mission he was on his own wife was not going to be there. “I love you,” he finished and hung up. He hit the brakes on his truck as he came to a red light, taking that precious time to text his wife, “Come on you have to answer me babe,” he said out loud wishing she would actually answer him.

“Fuck Howie is going to kill me,” he said as he realized that his brother in law was bound to find out soon. He finally pulled into the crime scene cops everywhere ready to shoot. He took out his gun and made his way to the tall blonde guy and the chief.

“About time McLean,” Kevin Richardson told the young cop that approached him. “You and Nick will be going in be careful,” He told him as he handed him his bullet proof jacket.

“Yes Sir,” Alex told the chief as he followed Nick to where the rest of the gear they needed was.

“Howie is going to kill you, you know that right?” Nick told his partner as he checked his gun to make sure it was loaded.

“Do you think he knows?” Alex asked his partner as they both stared at Howie who was busy looking at the floor plans to the coffee shop they were about to enter.

Nick looked at Howie and after a few seconds spoke, “by the way he looks so calm and the little frown on his face…not yet.” He grinned at his partner, but he had the entire fault. So eager to take every case available, he distanced himself from Trish.

“Then I may have a chance to leave LA?” he laughed he knew he wouldn’t because he was going to get Trish back. He just didn’t know how yet. “Ready?” he asked him as he looked at his watch.

“Are you guys ready?” Kevin asked as he walked up to them. “He is threatening us already a body every ten minutes we delay the car and the money.”

“Yes,” they both told the chief with there guns in hand.

*********

The bust was a success and the clapping of there co-workers told them they had done well. No one got hurt and Nick only needed a few stitches on his arm. “Sorry man I didn’t expect him to do what he did,” Alex told his partner as he watched a paramedic stitching him up.

“Its cool man, I’m fine.” He told him as he saw who approached them. “Hey D.” he gave him a grin.

“Hey Nicky boy, I need a report about your accident tomorrow you understand?” Howie told the blonde man and then turned to look at his brother in law. “Nice job man your ok right? I don’t want Trish to freak out on me again.”

“I’m good,” Alex told him looking down not ready to tell him that his sister had left him. “I should go, you’ll be fine right or do you need a ride?” he asked Nick.

“No I’m good go on ahead I bet Trish is waiting for you with a nice supper.” Nick told his partner knowing well that was not true.

“Talking about that she’s been calling me. Does she know about this bust?” Howie asked Alex as he looked through his phone.

“Yeah I believe so,” Alex said looking through his phone hoping that maybe Trish had returned his call or text.

“I guess that’s why she is calling me then,” Howie said looking at him. “Well go, I’ll call her and scare the crap out of her. Just for fun…” he told him with a grin on his face.

“Oh this is going to be fun to watch,” Nick said as he closed his eyes. “Shit that hurts,” he told the paramedic.

*********

Alex closed the door to his house and sighed as he came into total darkness. He dropped his gun and badge on the coffee table in the living room and walked into the kitchen. He was exhausted and needed something to eat. He needed to think, “ham, mayo, mustard oh and this,” he was saying as he took out all the necessary things for his supper. As he ate his cold sandwich in the kitchen he realized just how much he needed Trish. He threw the rest of his sandwich as he lost his appetite. “Ah, Trish baby...” he said in frustration as he walked to their room. The drawers where she kept her clothes were open and empty, “Come on babe answer me,” he said as he held his cell phone to his ear.

He laid in bed jut staring at the phone in his hand. Maybe it was time for him to find a new job. He was brought out of his thoughts when his phone began to ring, hoping it was Trish he answered only to get the angry voice of Howie. “What the hell happened?” Howie asked him.

“Howie it’s small misunderstanding. I love her and she knows it.” He told him stuttering as he heard his anger.

“No Alex this isn’t something little she went to a lawyer. She wants a divorce,” Howie told him.

“Shit,” Alex said sitting up finally he realized this wasn’t just her showing him how far she would go for him to understand he needed to be there for her.

“Yeah that’s a good way to put it,” Howie told him as he hung up on him.

**********

Alex took a deep breath as he walked into the place he called his job. Precinct 220 he smiled timidly as he passed some of his coworkers. He stopped as he saw Nick staring at him with his evil grin, “Man if I were you I would stay away from Howie,” Nick told him.

“I know I already spoke to him last night, where’s the chief?” he asked him as he looked into the chief’s office.

“He’s in there with officer Littrell from homicide.” Nick told him as they both stared toward that direction.

“Hey Nick,” Officer Ramirez said as she passed by.

“Hey there Mel you owe me a date we caught the guy…” he told her as he followed her leaving Alex alone again.

“He’s never going to learn is he?” he asked himself as he looked at the letter he had in his hands. This was it he was going to walk in there and give his letter of resignation. He saw officer Littrell walk his way, “Hey officer how’s your family?”

“Hey there McLean, there good. How’s the wife?” Brian Littrell asked.

“I believe she is well,” Alex said a lump forming in his throat knowing well that he did not know much about her since she had left him. “Is the chief alone now?”

“Yeah go right ahead I’ll see you around,” Brian told him as he walked away.

Alex walked slowly and sighed as he knocked on the opened door, “chief…” he said walking into the office.

“McLean just the person I wanted to see.”

He gave the chief his crooked smile and watched him put out his cigar, “I wanted to have a word with you sir.”

“Sure have a seat,” Chief Reynolds said as he eyed the way one of his best officers looked.

“Well sir I am here to give you my letter of resignation sir. I have served ten wonderful years now, but I think its time for me to go.” Alex said a lump forming on his throat. He loved his job but he loved Trish more and he was going to win her back.

Chief Reynolds sighed heavily as he heard him, “McLean I would normally tell you that your making the worst mistake of your life, but as Trish’s godfather I say your making the right choice.” He had heard from his wife that Trish had left him for good. “Good luck winning her back though… Trish is a Dorough and they are stubborn.”

Alex laughed lightly as he heard the chief, “I know sir I know but I love her stubborn and all. She’s my life now sir.”

“Well good luck McLean and if you ever decide to come back just let me know there will always be a place for you.”

********

Alex was glad Howie was no where in the station as he gave his badge and gun back. He sighed heavily as he handed them in, “Thanks Paul and please don’t tell Howie I’ll do it… where’s Carter? I need to break the news to him.”

“It was nice working with ya man, I think carter in the lounge.” Paul said as he took away Alex’s badge and gun. “You’ll join us at Chang’s every Friday right? I mean I need a good pool buddy to kick ass!”

Alex smiled at Paul, “I might pop in once in a while,” he said as he began to walk to the lounge room.

As he walked he couldn’t help but grin as he saw his partner Nick working his charm on officer Ramirez, he cleared his throat, “Carter I need to talk to you…” he said holding his laugh at the sudden jump from officer Ramirez.

“I was leaving.”

Alex watched her leave and then laughed, “sorry but this is important. You know she just likes to tease you…”

“Man Alex couldn’t this wait till later in the cruiser?” Nick said glaring at Alex. “I almost had her.” he muttered.

“Yeah it can’t I’m not your partner anymore,” Alex said wiping his sweaty palms on his pants. “I quit today… I just turned in my badge and gun. Maybe you’ll get Ramirez as a partner.” He said trying to lighten the situation.

“Are you serious? What the hell?” Nick said anger apparent on his voice.

“I thought through last night Nick… I can live without my gun and badge. But I can’t live without Trish.” He said in a defensive tone.

“Bullshit… Trish knew who she was marrying; fuck her brother is a cop too. Hell she works for INS.” Nick said.

“In an office on a nine to five schedule,” Alex said suddenly feeling angry at Nick’s reaction. “What the fuck is your problem? You out of anyone here except for Howie should be happy for my decision. Trish is the best to happen to me in a long time you know that.”

“Maybe I should be but it’s not fair that I am loosing my best friend and partner because she feels you don’t give the time of day. I call that selfish and I personally liked the old laid back, up for anything Alex not I’m married can’t go there anymore Alex.” Nick said walking out abruptly not letting Alex finish.

Alex sighed heavily and just let it go he knew Nick he would come back to his senses soon enough. He had another mission to do today, since Trish would not answer his calls he was going to look for her.

********

He was outside the building his wife called her job and with her wedding band in hand he went in. A short elevator ride later he walked into her department, “hey Chelsea,” he said politely to the one of her co-workers. “Is Trish busy? I’m just going to go in ok?”

“No Alex wait…” Chelsea could not stop him from going in she just sighed heavily.

“No really Sean I’m fine and it was time to do it.” Trisha said to one of her co-workers and close friend since he had been transferred there.

“Well it will help you Trish you needed it you are glowing today. I think we should go out and celebrate you breaking free from that prison.” Sean said leaning in closer to Trish.

Trish cleared her throat and moved away, “Not today I finally left him but I still love him Sean and I just don’t think I am ready to celebrate me breaking a sacred vow to god. I married him and vowed to love him till death but it’s apparent he was not thinking the same…” she said sadness clear in her voice.

“I’m sorry that was very rude of me,” Sean said taking the opportunity to walk around her desk and hug her.

Alex had been hearing the conversation but could not here anymore and walked in clearing his throat, “Excuse me,” he said in a very cold tone.

“What are you doing here?” Trish asked stepping away from the very awkward hug.

“I need to talk to you,” Alex said glaring at Sean.

“I should go but I’m here if you need anything ok?” Sean said leaving.

“There is nothing to talk about,” Trish said walking toward the door holding it open for him to walk out.

“I’m not leaving and you should shut the door if you don’t want anyone else to hear our personal information,” Alex said taking a seat in one of her chairs. He smiled triumphantly as she hesitantly closed the door to her office.

“Fine make it short I have a busy day ahead of me still,” Trish said taking a seat on her desk.

“I’m sorry for everything I’ve done.” Alex started and felt hurt as he saw her roll her eyes.

“Fine your forgiven Alex you can now go on without guilt.” Trish said frustrated.

“I’m not done,” Alex said taking a deep breath, “I quit my job today Trish. I don’t want to loose you babe I need you and I want you to come back to our house.” He said laying her wedding band on her desk, “Please babe,” Alex said as he leaned into her using his finger to lift her chin and make her look at him.

“Its too late Alex I gave you chance after chance even after…” Trish’s lips trembled as remembered his almost affair with another officer. “I can’t I won’t I’m done.”

Alex shook his head and sighed in frustration, “You just told Sean you love me and I you. Just one more chance babe…” he didn’t wait for her to answer and crashed his lips on hers taking her by surprise.

Trish tried to push him away but to no avail and soon gave in to his kiss. She suddenly forgot all the anger she felt for him and just gave into the kiss. She moaned softly as her hands found his neck, finally she snapped out of it and pushed him away. “Stop this get out!”

Alex went around the desk and cornered her angst the wall, “You love me and I will win you back.” He said kissing her again and walking out smiling. Trish loved him and he left with new hope that she was going to come back.