- Text Size +
Trisha was exhausted and in turmoil as she kept remembering the earlier events. Alex had quit his job for her or so he had said. She had to admit that felt good. But she was not going to give in he deserved to feel how she felt for the past year by his side. Maybe she could find someone who would not take her for granted.

She drove without really paying attention to where she was going till she realized where she was. Her eyes widened as she saw Alex shirtless washing his Tahoe in the parking lot. She took of her sunglasses and gawked at her husband he was toned. What was she doing here? She quickly put her sunglasses back on and was about to drive away, when Alex saw her.

She mumbled to herself as she saw him smile at her and run up to her car. Hesitantly she rolled her window down, tried to smile and stare at his face not his wet abdomen. “I –” she breathed and then tried to speak again. “My car seems to still think this is his home. I have to go.”

“Please,” Alex said leaning into her window. “Come in for a few minutes…” he breathed heavily as he dared to remove her sunglasses to look into her beautiful brown eyes. He smiled at her, “Lets just talk we both deserve that at least. I need to explain my insipid behavior toward you…” he pleaded with his eyes.

She shook her head and sighed… “Just a few minutes,” she said. “Move so I can park,” she told him she knew he was smiling in triumph. She knew she was giving in to easily but he was too irresistible at the moment and she let her hormones answer for her. She swallowed hard as she opened the door to her Beetle. She pulled on her skirt that had slightly risen on her drive.

Alex had turned the water hose off and watched his wife; he licked his lips as he saw. Now he finally realized just how pretty she was, “Hey,” he leaned in and kissed her cheek lightly inhaling her cologne.

She shrugged and gave him a half smile, “Well let’s talk I still have to go home,” she told him walking up the steps and stopped at the door. She was about to open the door but she remembered that this was not her house anymore.

“It’s open,” Alex said as he walked up behind her so close to her, her hand grazed his skin.

She felt a light shiver at the contact but only cleared her throat, “I don’t live here anymore,” she told him moving out of his way allowing him to open the door.

Alex ignored her comment and opened the door for her, “Make yourself comfortable I’m just going to put on some dry clothes.” He said as he closed the door.

She sighed heavily knowing that was going to be impossible, she walked into the living room and gasped as she saw one of her dinner plates was being used as Alex’s ashtray. But she calmed down remembering that she should no longer care what he did or if he smoked inside the house. “I’m going to get some water,” she yelled as she began to walk toward the kitchen. She gasped in surprise at how in one day the sink could have so many dirty dishes; she took off her blazer and began to wash the dishes.

Alex was quick in changing into a wife beater and sweats, “I don’t think there’s cold water…” he said walking into the kitchen. He stopped and smiled as he saw her washing the mess he had. “I was going to get that,” he said walking up to her and making her stop.

“I just thought I’d help…” she said letting him take her place by the sink. She then decided to get her glass water and some ice cubes to make it cold. She watched from the counter as he washed the dishes she hadn't been able to stop looking at him and the fact that he was wearing what was wearing was not helping. She began to think this was a bad idea at the moment… maybe she should go. “I really have to go Alex just email me or we can meet at Howie’s to talk.” She said putting the empty glass on the counter.

“What? No please babe –” he bit his lip and began again, “Trish just please you’re here already and I am almost done here.”

She tore her gaze from him and grabbed her blazer putting it back on, “Alex there isn’t much too really talk about. I just want to make this divorce as civil as possible. I won’t ask for money or anything just sign the divorce papers. Why fight when we can be good friends like Kathy and Jeremy.” She said.

“Katy and Jeremy didn’t love each other. Jeremy ended up being gay…” he told his wife as he finished the dishes. “I love you and I know…” he said looking at her till she finally met his gaze. “You love me.”

“Alex…” she sighed and then she cleared her throat, “I loved you but the man I fell in love with has not been here with me this past year. I am in love with the Alex I married not with you what you have become. Nothing is forever…” she told him.

“I am still the same Alex,” he said defensively knowing well she was right the past year he could count the times Trisha and him had spent alone just the two of them, even sex had been scarce in the past year but that did not mean he did not love her.

“Alex… Alex please don’t make me list the many differences between whom I married and who you’ve become.” Trish said in frustration.

“Trisha please,” Alex said pleading as he walked up to her close enough to kiss her, “I fucked up and I can admit I could have done better. I can’t live without you,” he told her as his hands framed her face.

She laughed at his comment, “I would have melted with those words a long time ago Alex now they make me laugh,” she said as she tried to take his hands of her face.

“So you can tell me at this moment you don’t want to kiss me as much I want to kiss you right now?” he asked in a very low whisper making her look at him as he caressed her face.

He saw the look in her eyes she was having trouble refusing his words, she loved him. She was hurt and angry at him but he could prove to her this time that he loved her. He leaned in and grazed her lips with his then he took her bottom lip with his mouth. “One more chance that is all I am asking for…” he whispered as he kissed her face and then took her mouth with his.

Really bad idea, was all Trish was think as she gave in. Alex had won this time and again for the second time today she gave in allowing his tongue explore her mouth. She automatically wrapped her arms around him closing any gaps between them. “We shouldn’t do this…” she managed to say even though her body said something else as she allowed Alex to carry her toward the bedroom they once shared.

********

“Que demonios!” Trisha said as she washed her face and fixed her clothes. She had allowed her weak side to win. Now here she was trying to get out of here before Alex woke up. She opened the door to the restroom slowly and after grabbing her heels she began to tiptoe out of the master bedroom.

She froze as she heard Alex clear his throat, “Babe where you going?”

Alex suddenly sat up a little surprised to find that Trisha was not in bed and was actually up and leaving. He got up pulling on his boxers that were on the floor. He walked to her and made her turn to look at him.

She looked down and sighed, “I have to go… this was a big mistake Alex.” she said rubbing the back of her neck. “This wasn’t us making up,” she said her voice stuttering.

“Stay…” he managed to say feeling pain at her words. “We can work on it… you showed me you love me just as much as I love you.” he didn’t want her to leave and was willing to do whatever to make her stay.

“Alex!” Trisha said pulling her hand from his grip. “It’s over… Over.” She was saying the words and she knew it was best that way yet her heart hurt. “I don’t know exactly what happened but I can assure you it won’t happen again.” She finally decided it was ok to put her heels on and so she did. She did not look at him anymore and just stormed out the house before he could say anything else.

He followed as far as he could since he was not properly dressed to outside. “Trish…” yelled but to avail Trish was already driving away.

***********

“Good morning,” Chelsea said as she caught her friend and co-worker try to sneak in. “Let me guess you stayed at your brothers?”

Trisha did not say a word and just mumbled what seemed to be an apology. She went straight the room Chelsea had lent her till she settled on her own and right into the shower.

She was good in time and had an hour to make it to work, “Chelsea sorry for the earlier behavior I’ll tell you later what happened I just need to clear my head,” she told her friend as she walked out and grabbed herself a glass of orange juice.

“I understand hon, I’ll see at work I have be there early today.” Chelsea said kissing her friend on the cheek before walking out.

“Yeah see you there, I’m heading out as soon as I finish applying on my makeup,” she told her.

Trisha was finishing up her hair when the familiar ringtone made her answer her phone; “Hey…” she said trying to sound normal.

“I called you last night but you didn’t answer are you ok?” Howie asked his sister.

“Yeah I just had a rough afternoon but I’ll manage.” Trish said smiling at her brother’s caring voice. He was not really her brother more like cousin but after she lost her mother at the tender age of twelve her aunt took her in as her own daughter. She was even adopted and so she loved him as her brother.

“Do you want to have lunch together?” Howie asked knowing there was more to her evasive answer.

She sighed and couldn’t say no to him he was his confidant, “Yeah sounds great how about Ceasario’s around twelve thirty?”

“Deal I’ll see you there. Love you got to go… my shift just ended and just arrived home so I will take a nap and meet there.” Howie said.

*********

“Hey,” Trisha said as he walked into her job. Chelsea was already at work and all she got from her was a warm smile as she walked into her office. She was surprised to find her favorite flowers well arranged in a vase. She sighed as she looked around to see if someone was in her office but no was there, she walked toward the vase and carefully took the card.

To my wife the love of my life, last night is only the beginning. I am going to win you back.

Alex

She couldn’t help the smile that spread on her face but she quickly shook away her happiness and remembered the hell she had been put through this past year with that same man and with that she threw the card in her drawer with the wedding band he had brought her yesterday. She then got the vase of the roses and set outside in the lobby on a side table.

She saw the look Chelsea gave her and shrugged, “they look better there where people who walk by can appreciate them. I won’t” she told her and walked back to her office.