- Text Size +
“Hey Howie,” Chelsea said as she saw him walk beside Trish.

“Hey there Chels” Howie walked up to her giving her a hug and kiss on the cheek. He liked Chelsea she was a good friend to Trish he knew that.

“Trish,” Sean said walking in as well. “Chelsea told me you had gone out to eat.” He said walking up to her and hugging her.

Trish blushed and pulled away gently trying not to hurt his feelings but she felt awkward when he hugged her. “Sean you remember my brother right? Officer Howard Dorough from LAPD.”

Howie eyed him not really liking the vibe he got from this man. “Hi,” he said he was not going to be disrespectful though.

After a few greetings finally Howie was sitting in her office, “So I know your birthday is coming up…” he said as he watched Trish try and concentrate on her work.

“Yeah but I really don’t feel like celebrating it. It will only make me feel haggard.” Trish said commenting on realizing that in a few days she would be the big three zero.

“Oh no you’re not giving me that dumb excuse we are so celebrating it.” He sighed heavily and spoke again. “Trish do you really want this? I mean do you really want a divorce? Alex has been a dick the past year I know, but I also know that he loves you. He tends to break down easily under pressure… but he quit his job for you. He fucking loves his job I should know because he was my partner first. But he quit for you… that right there Trish is him groveling to you.”

Trish sighed heavily and finally looked away from her computer her eyes filling with tears, “I know he loves me… he tells me all the time. But when his actions showed me the contrary Howie, I got hurt. What about Karen? Did you forget that? I tried to forget all that, start anew and instead he distanced himself from me. I can’t live like that anymore.” She said frustrated her tears now falling down her face.

“Ok… then end it now. Don’t keep giving him false hopes. You are my sister but he is also a very close friend of mine and I know that what has happened since you left him is killing him. Call Zullos tomorrow and tell him you want a speedy divorce, it will cost but I think that the faster you end it the sooner he will realize your done.” Howie said with care as he went around her desk and hugged her. “Trish maybe after the divorce you can ask for a transfer to another city, start anew.”

Trish hugged her brother, “I’m sorry for putting you in this situation, maybe your right I’ve wanted to go to New York. Maybe I can actually ask to be transferred there,” she told him. “I have to get back to work; you should go and try to get more rest before your shift.” She pulled away from her brother’s hug.

“Yeah I should let you work,” Howie said kissing her forehead. “Later. Call me at anytime if you need me. Mom’s been calling me telling me she will come home early this year if you need her to be here with you.”

“No please tell her to enjoy Florida. I’ll be fine… tell her I will call her.” Trish said wiping her face.

“Ok I will, love ya,” Howie said walking out.

********

“Trust me you need this after what you’ve been through,” Chelsea told Trish as she dragged her into the Karaoke Bar.

“I don’t understand how drinking and singing is going to help my mood.” Trish said as she let Chelsea continue to drag her along.

“Well sex didn’t help you either; you’d think that should have you in cloud nine instead your beating yourself about it. Come on now smile and look pretty. The other girls are already waiting for us.” She knew her comment was a little harsh but she knew Trish needed to hear it after what she had told her. Finally Trish had told her earlier about everything and she knew then that Trish was not ready to leave Alex and tonight she was going to show her just that.

“See that’s why I didn’t want to tell you my dilemma.” Trish said as she followed her friend into the bar. She smiled as she saw the other girls already drinking away.

“Trish, Chelsea over here.”

They walked up to them and after a quick hug and hello they began another round of martinis. “Trish baby after tonight you will be Alex who?” Simone said handing her the martini glass.

“Yeah and then some singing to bring your spirits up. Besides there are some nice looking guys here.” Kathy said smiling at her slyly.

“Oh honey this blazer has to go, you need to show what you got,” Simone said as she helped Trish out of her blazer. “There much better.”

Trish just smiled and began to blush, “You’re crazy Simone.”

“Hey crazy is the new thing,” Simone said calling the bartender toward them. “Hey hun, bring us all a round of tequila, we are all having a tequila shot Simone style.” She said smiling at her friends.

“You’d think that because she works in Forensics she would be the least crazy,” Kathy said laughing.

“Honey because I work with the dead I’ve learned to live to the fullest!” Simone said finishing her Martini. “We are glad to have Trish back out and about with us aren’t we?”

“Yeah!”

*********

“Hey Jeremy,” Alex said as he opened the door.

“Hey to you… I had to come down here to ban you from my restaurant after the event earlier.” Jeremy said trying lighten the mood.

“Fuck I am so sorry Jeremy; I didn’t mean to… you know.” Alex said as he took a seat back on the couch putting the bag of frozen vegetables on his face. “So I guess you know about Trish dumping me.”

“Yeah Kat told me, are you now going to come out of the closet like me?” he asked laughing.

“Nope sorry to disappoint you there Jerms I am very much straight.” Alex said finally laughing a little with his friend. “What should I do Jeremy? I want her back, I love her.”

Jeremy sighed and then he took the bag off Alex’s face, “You want me to be honest?”

“Let her go,” Jeremy said only to laugh at Alex’s surprised yet hurt look. “Wait I am not done. Let her think your over her go on dates agree to give her the divorce. If she loves you like Kat and I know she does she will come back to her senses?”

“Your no help,” Alex mumbled taking the bag of frozen vegetables back and placed back on his face.

“Alex, trust me on this one… I am not asking you to stop loving her just to pretend too…” Jeremy said taking the bag back and tossing it to the coffee table. “If you keep beating of her new suitors and seducing her…ahem, sorry Kat told me about that. You’re only going to keep pushing her away.”

Alex arched his brow at what Jeremy was saying, “You are starting to sound serious. No fucking way you and Kat are budding in aren’t you all!”

Jeremy shrugged smiling at him, “Is it working? Because I also can share with you that at this moment Trish is out with the girls at The Monkey Karaoke Bar. She is has taken Kat’s advice about moving on.”

“Ok I can try what you’re advising, it won’t hurt to try.” Alex said.

“Ok then lets go out, I want you to meet someone that might take your mind off Trish for a little bit,” Jeremy said grinning. “You only need to go on one date with her please? She thought you were cute all angry earlier at the restaurant. So I of course told her you were going to a divorce and would love to go out. I’m so good,” Jeremy said.

“Yeah whatever let me get dressed,” Alex said finally standing up.

“Ok I will clean this mess while you dress.” Jeremy said.

*********

[Singing]

You weren't there,
You never were,
You want it all,
But that's not fair,
I gave you life,
I gave my all,
You weren't there,
You let me fall.

So, so what
I'm still a rock star,
I got my rock moves,
And I don't need you,
And guess what,
I'm having more fun,
And now that were done,
I'm gonna show you tonight,
I'm alright,
I'm just fine,
And your a tool,
So, so what,
I am a rock star,
I got my rock moves,
And I don't want you tonight.

No, no, no, no
I don't want you tonight,
You weren't there,
I'm gonna show you tonight,
I'm alright,
I'm just fine,
And your a tool,
So, so what,
I am a rock star,
I got my rock moves,
And I don't want you tonight!

“Yes it really did happen to me!” Trish said slurred. “I want to sing another one… how about Gives you Hell –” she stopped surprised to see her brother grab her and carry her off the stage.

“It’s time to go Trish,” Howie said putting her down and taking her purse, blazer and Chelsea’s spare key. “Why did you let her get like this?” he asked her.

“She was having fun and then she just went a tad bit crazy. I am the designated driver so I had to call you, so I can take Simone and Kathy home.” Chelsea said a blushing a little as she saw Howie still with his work clothes attire.

“Well I’m not taking her to your house like this. I’m just going to leave work early and take her to my house.” He told her as he grabbed his sister’s hand and began to pull her out of the bar.

“Bye Simone, Kat and Chelsea… So what I’m still…” Trish continued to sing the song as she was pulled out.

“Trish please,” Howie said as he put her into the car where Kevin waited. “She’s wasted.”

Kevin laughed lightly, “I see and a big fan of Pink apparently.”

“AND YOU’RE A TOOL,” Trish sang then stopped as she saw Kevin. “Hey Kevin… Do you have that song? Can you play it for me?” she asked as she patted him on the shoulder.

“Hey Trish,” Kevin said very amused with her behavior. “I actually don’t this is LAPD’s car so we have no radio.” He laughed as he saw Trish pout.

“I think I have to call it a night for me, I have to take care of her.” Howie said as he made the call to the Chief omitting why he needed to take care of Trish.

**********

“I have to get out of here,” Alex told Jeremy as he left Jackie sitting. “I will take your advice but Jackie is not…” he just sighed and began to walk toward the exit.

“Alex,” Jeremy called but to no avail he was out of the club.

Alex got into his car and drove off. He preferred to go home and watch something on TV. But for sure he was going to take Jeremy’s advice and give in.

“It might just work,” he said to himself as he played with his wedding band. He sighed heavily as he removed from his hand. He had to make it believable.

**********

“I should go,” Trish said in trying to stand from the couch.

“Where are you going Trish and in that state?” Howie asked as he came back from the guest room with some pajamas. “Come on lets get you sobered up,” he said as he helped her up.

“I need to talk to Alex… Tell him its over.” She slurred as she tried to walk to the door instead of the bathroom.

“ah ah,” Howie said pulling her toward the bathroom. “I don’t think this is the right time,” he said eyeing her curiously.

Trish laughed and then she spoke again, “I want to serenade him with my new favorite song,” she said laughing again.

Howie couldn’t help and laugh at her, “Look at you Trish? If Alex saw you like this he would not believe its you… Look what he’s doing to you.” he said finally putting her into the shower turning on the cold water, “sorry for wetting your clothes,” he said as he heard Trish’s scream.

“Ok I’m better,” she yelled pushing him away, “I got it I’ll be out in a minute,” she told him.

“Ok see you in the living room,” Howie said shutting the door behind him.