- Text Size +
“Good morning,” said a groggy Trish as she walked into the kitchen. She went straight to hug her brother, “Thanks for last night.”

Howie smiled at her and hugged her tightly, “that’s what family is for.” He let her go and offered her a cup of coffee… “So I called your boss told him you were not going to make it to work today. I think it’s a great opportunity for you to get your things organized. I also made you an appointment with Zullos.”

“You did all that for me?” she asked him as she took a sip of her coffee.

“Yes and I am actually going with you. Then if you still want to serenade your ex we can do that too. I would love to see his face as he hears you sing to him that he is a tool.” Howie said laughing at her and ducked as she threw a banana at him from his fruit basket.

“Uh, I can’t believe I said that… I was drunk for crying out loud.” She told him not being able to hold her laughter.

“Yeah blame the alcohol; I still can’t believe Chelsea actually took you out like that. I thought she was a quiet nice lady… but yesterday I was proven wrong.” Howie said as he placed plate of pancakes in front of her.

“She is nice and she only did it because she wanted to help me heal faster from my heartbreak.” Trish said rolling her eyes at him.

**********

“Thanks,” Alex said as he took the plane tickets.

“So again why are you still purchasing the tickets? You know well she will not go to London with you anymore.” Nick told Alex as they walked to his car.

“I want her to go and maybe invite Chelsea to go with her or Kat.” Alex said smiling at Nick.

“Ok what happened to the Alex I had to drag out of Ceasario’s yesterday?” Nick asked looking at his friend with confusion.

“He crashed and burned last night,” Alex said lighting a cigarette. “I’m done too… I am going to give Trish what she wants.”

Nick almost fell with the surprise of his comment, “Wow… that’s interesting I almost got a heart attack here. May I ask why the change of heart? Does this also mean you will return to LAPD?”

Alex shrugged as he finished his smoke, “No… No LAPD for me anymore. Jason called me the other night and told me he was going to get me a job with him in LAX as head of security. He said it was good pay and a set schedule in the morning or night. Now about Trish… she wants space fine I’ll give her space.”

Nick began to laugh, “Reverse psychology….” He patted his friends arm. “You’re good you almost had me there. I think it just might work.”

“Its not about that Nick its about showing her she can’t live without me just like I can’t live without her. She is mad at me with all rights but she loves me I know.” Alex said as he climbed into the car. “Now to the pet store,” he told Nick.

“So your going to play the ex husband turns best friend role? Nice…” Nick said grinning.

“Your just never going to grow up are you?” Alex said rolling his eyes. “It’s more than what you think.”

***********

Trish tapped nervously on the floor as she waited for her turn to see her lawyer, Antonio Zullos a close friend of the family. She pretended to be into the magazine she held, she began to flip through the pages realizing it was a wedding magazine.

“Why are you nervous,” Howie asked as he sat beside her.

“I’m not nervous…” she smiled weakly and then shrugged, “Ok I am nervous. I mean not even five years of marriage and I am already here asking Tony for help to get a divorce.” She said again looking at the magazine and frowning as she saw the beautiful wedding gowns.

“What would have happened if you would have married Tony?” Howie asked knowing exactly why she was dreading this visit. Tony had always had a crush on her and did date for a few months. Till Howie showed up to Thanksgiving dinner with Alexander McLean and he instantly took Trish’s attention.

He had always known that Trish liked the rough boys, not in the emotional sense but that looked bad. Alex was exactly that with tattoos everywhere, the fact that he was a cop was just the whip cream on the pie.

“Tony was Tony…” Trish said remembering well her relationship with him. He was just too nice for her own good. She felt obligated to continue with him for fear of hurting his feelings, but once Alex showed up there was no turning back. Tony gave her the most heart warming speech on why he was better than Alex….

[Flashback]

“Tony we need to talk,” Trish told him as they walked down to her door.

“Yes we do,” Tony said as he turned to face her. “You’re so beautiful,” he told her as he kissed her cheek.

Trish stopped him and cleared her throat, “I can’t continue to go out with you. I can only see you as a great friend.”

“You’re breaking up with me?” Tony asked hurt apparent in his voice.

“I’m sorry Tony but I can’t…” she told him running up her porch and into the house.

[End of Flashback]

“Patricia Lorraine McLean,” the receptionist called.

“There’s us,” Howie said patting her sister on the knee. “He’s past that by now Trish.”

“I hope your right, but I will still get that look… you know the one that says see if you would have married me you wouldn’t be going through this.” Trish said as she grabbed her purse and put down the magazine.

********

“Hey Chels,” Alex said as he walked in.

“Hey Alex if you’re looking for Trish she did not come in today…” Chelsea said putting a strand of her red hair behind her ear.

“Oh well I wasn’t looking for her per say…” Alex said as he saw the vase of flowers he had sent her in the hall, it hurt but he just took a deep breath and spoke to Chelsea again, “I actually wanted to talk to you…”

“Oh,” Chelsea said looking at him curiously. “Ok sure what’s up?”

“I know well that either you or Howie are going to throw a big birthday bash for Trish. I know at this moment I am not in the list of invitees but its ok. I wanted to know if you would do me a favor…” Alex said giving his best smile.

“Alex I will not tell when or where I am on Trish’s side.” She told him biting on her pen, she felt bad for him and no matter what Trish said, she knew Trish loved him.

“I know but hear me out first… I had already gotten this present for her and well I would love to give it to her still. She deserves a well deserve time to be alone why not Europe? I also want to give her the best surprise ever… I want to tell her I give in. I am going to sign the divorce. I am going to move on. So what do you say? I got her two tickets it was one for her and one for me but… not its one for you instead.” He winked at her and hoped for the best, as he saw her debating within.

“I hate this… but you promise you’re not going to go there to ruin her night right?” she had given in who could resist those eyes. Now she understood why Trish had a hard time telling him to go.

“I promise,” Alex said making a cross sign over his heart. “I am serious I am letting her go…”

“Fine,” Chelsea wrote down on a sticky note the time and place. “Here and you did not get it from me.”

“Deal,” Alex said leaning in and kissing her on the cheek. “My lips are sealed.”

********

[Flashback]

“Yo Dorough,” Paul yelled down the hall. “Someone is here to see you; she says she’s your sister.”

“Polly?” Howie asked as he walked up to the front of the station. He smiled as he saw who it was, “Oh my god… Trish.” He went up to her and hugged her. “Wow you look good.”

“Gracias,” Trish said smiling at him. “I am here to stay as well.”

“What wow that’s great.” Howie said excited to see his adopted cousin who now he considered his sister. She had gone to Florida to go to college and now she was back. “Sorry about missing your graduation, but I hope you liked your present.”

“It’s ok I know you’re a cop and I loved my present. The beetle is just perfect.” She gleamed with happiness.

“Yo Paul wheres…” Alex was just adjusting his badge as he walked up to the front of the station to stop as he saw his partner in conversation with the most beautiful girl he’d ever seen. He quickly turned back around and left…

“I have to get to work but we’ll meet up later. Call me…” Howie walked to Paul’s desk and took a pad to write down his phone. “Later,” he kissed his sister again and hugged her.

“Ok bye… I’ll call you.” she waved at him and left, with one thing in mind who had that guy been. He was a cop for sure and his eyes were gorgeous. She hoped to see more of him soon.

[End of Flashback]

“Ok let’s go,” Howie told his sister who waited for him patiently in the front of the station.

“Yeah let’s go…” Trish said as she shook away her memory of the first time she had seen Alex. “So what you’d think about Tony?”

“He’s still the same,” Howie said as he opened the door to his car for his sister. “What about you?” he arched his brow as he asked her.

“He will always just be my friend. I am glad he didn’t bring anything up though and just told me he would take care of everything.” Trish said as she put her seat belt on.

“So now what?” he asked her.

“I was thinking that maybe I should get a new hairstyle… more appropriate for a single middle aged woman.” She told him as she ran her fingers down her long hair.

“Ok I’ll pay for it that will be my birthday present for you.” Howie said just as his phone rang. “Hey Polly,” he said a smile on his face. “No she’s here with me…”

“Hey sis,” Trish said out loud realizing it was her sister on the line with Howie.

“She’s coming down from San Diego for your birthday,” Howie informed Trish. He then handed her his phone, “she wants to talk to you.”

*********

“Hello?” Alex answered his phone as he walked into the tattoo parlor.

“Where are you?” asked Nick as he began his shift with his partner officer Rodgers.

“I am about to get a new tattoo,” Alex said as he walked into the tattoo parlor. He smiled as he saw his tattoo artist, he was well known at this place. “Yeah I’ll call you later,” he told Nick hanging up.

“Hey Alex,” Ben said approaching one of his best clients. “What an honor we hadn't seen you in a few months when you came in to finish that one tattoo. What can I do for you today?”

“Well I want a new tattoo and I have an idea that I would love for you to help me with.” He said as he shook hands with Ben.

“Sure lets get something so when sketch it out,” Ben said as he took him more into the tattoo parlor.

**********

“Hey I’m home,” Trish said as she saw Chelsea sitting on the couch. “What you think?” she asked her as she showed of her new hair.

“Oh my god I love it… awe but you no longer have your beautiful long hair.” Chelsea said as she walked up to her and taking a closer look at her hair.

“It’s good though very flirty and screams single.” Chelsea said with a laugh.

“Yes I need to feel a difference, so how about a toast to a new me?” Trish said walking toward the kitchen to find some wine or something to drink to.

“Ok,” Chelsea said a little more at ease with Trish’s new attitude.